• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Matador (Danish TV with 24 episodes)

sawtooth17

AnyDVD HD 8.0.3.0 with default settings will not properly decrypt Matador - the Danish TV programme with 24 episodes on 9 PAL DVDs, Scanbox Copenhagen 2014 release, barcode 5-706100-769605. With AnyDVD HD running, Handbrake and Arcsoft Total Media see only the 12 second opening logo sequence. "Rip video DVD to hard disk" creates only five tiny VOB files that contain the opening logo sequence. MakeMKV reads the disks. For Disk 1 (episodes 1-3 of 24), MakeMKV says:

Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (11 cell(s), 0:45:18)
Title #2 was added (10 cell(s), 0:40:30)
Title #3 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:12)
Cells 13-14 were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #4 was added (11 cell(s), 0:49:40)
Title #5 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:04)
Title #6 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:04)
Title #7 was added (1 cell(s), 0:13:07)
Cells 1-11 were removed from title start
Cells 30-50 were removed from title end
Title #9/15 was added (18 cell(s), 0:00:07)
Title #10 was added (15 cell(s), 1:01:07)
Title #11 was added (14 cell(s), 1:01:06)
Title #12 was added (13 cell(s), 1:01:06)
Audio stream #0 looks empty and was skipped
Audio stream #0 looks empty and was skipped
Operation successfully completed.

Title #1 is episode 1, Title #2 is episode 2 and Title #4 is episode 3 when played on an Oppo BDP-93.
I attach the logfile for Disk 1.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.0.3.0_Info_D_MATADOR_1.ziplog
    212.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
by "tiny" files, you mean about 4kb in size? If so, thats a 2 year old HANDBRAKE problem, not an anydvd one. Go into handbrake settings and tick the box that sais "disable libdvdread" and try again. You also need to set your drive hardware region in windows device manager and try again.

Ch3vrOn, thank you for helping. I don't think the tiny files problem has anything to do with Handbrake. I start the computer, start AnyDVD HD with default settings and no other program (but Norton Internet Security is running), place the original disk 1 of 9 of Matador in the drive, allow AnyDVD HD to scan the disk, then right-click the AnyDVD HD icon and select "Rip Video Disc to Harddisk" and then "Copy Disc" to rip the entire DVD to my hard drive [C:] - but the resulting VIDEO_TS folder contains only five VOB files of 7966, 7722, 140, 8 and 8 KB. Handbrake is not used at all in this exercise. I have done this several times. I attach a picture of the VIDEO_TS folder produced by the AnyDVD HD rip. The AnyDVD HD log file for this disk was attached to my previous post. Windows Explorer shows large files on the DVD with and without AnyDVD HD running.

If I exit AnyDVD HD and run MakeMKV it works fine (as shown in my previous post). So MakeMKV works but AnyDVD does not. This applies to all nine Matador DVDs.

As a completely separate exercise, I got Handbrake (and then Arcsoft Total Media) to scan the DVD with AnyDVD HD running, and they saw only these small VOB files (via AnyDVD HD).

Attachments

• AnyDVD VIDEO_TS.jpg
    AnyDVD VIDEO_TS.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 7
It appears at first glance that AnyDVD might not be handling this set properly.
(Providing you are at DEFAULT settings.)
James will have to look at your logfile to confirm.
But DO exit AnyDVD and set your drive region in Device manager.
Might not impact this set - but it will impact CSS decription on something sooner or later.
-W

@sawtooth17 is the the old 2010-2011 release or the first season of the 2012 remake? There's definitely something 'off' with that disc as anydvd only seems to process around 8000 sectors. Does the drive read other DVD's fine? However before we proceed, you really need to set your drive hardware region and try again. A small image like that doesn't say a whole lot. If it still doesn't work after setting the region, provide a new logfile.

There's definitely something 'off' with that disc as anydvd only seems to process around 8000 sectors. Does the drive read other DVD's fine?
Isn't it significant enough that MakeMKV reads all nine discs fine ?

No. MakeMKV isn't anydvd and every software works differently.

Same reason as always. Drive region isn't set which affects anydvd's abilities to decrypt css protected discs like that one. With an unset region it's not a matter of 'it' there's ever going to be a problem but a matter of 'when'. I know very well what I'm saying.

So why do you bring the drive into play ?

Because he has a LONG running record of looking to blame anything but AnyDVD for a fail.
I mean look: He started yammering about HANDBRAKE when the OP said nothing about Handbrake in the post.
I personally prefer to get a good logfile and let James make the calls.
Drive region setting affects CSS decription... not the likely issue here because AnyDVD reports when it can't crack CSS keys.
But again - the OP should set his region and try again just to be safe.
-W

Last edited:
Now you're pretty much assulting me directly?

you really need to check your facts mate. OP said nothing about handbrake huh? Then what's that in the 2nd line of his post?

With AnyDVD HD running, Handbrake and Arcsoft Total Media see only the 12 second opening logo sequence.

He provided a logfile and i examined with the tools in at my desposal, which divulged an unset region, which i spotted in my 1st reply and that affects anyDVD's abilities. I never said it wasn't an anydvd problem. Which is also the reason why i'm asking which release it was, and to provide a new logfile with a set region to see if things are different. Unset region affects css decryption, which in turn may affect how AnyDVD handles the disc.

Don't accuse me of being bias or avoiding to blame AnyDVD, THAT is blatantly untrue and i will not tolerate such accusations directed towards me. I have numerous posts in troubleshooting threads where I hint at new protections and there's quite a few where James agree. I'm not biased, I go by the evidence at hand and nothing else. My 'feelings' or what I think of Anydvd do not come into play on a troubleshooting thread at all! Let me make that VERY CLEAR!!!

Tread lightly...

"Rip video DVD to hard disk" creates only five tiny VOB files that contain the opening logo sequence.
That's the essential part i guess Clams refers to -and which makes clear the OP has nothing but an AnyDVD issue -> "nothing about Handbrake"

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that too, and i didn't ignore it. Especially not after seeing the image by OP. the region affects decryption, which in turn affects ripping. Which is why it's vital for the OP to set the region, try again to see if it's fixed and if that fails provide a new logfile. Only that will tell us if the region was a problem or not. It's now in the OP's hands to let us know and if needed provide a new logfile so we can proceed.

Not denying that, as 'small files' IS a classic handbrake issue. Now can we please stop nitpicking what i did or didn't say and get back to the issue at hand? A response by the op with our without a new logfile.

Thank you all for helping. I set the drive region code to 4 and rebooted (I notice that Device Manager now normally shows the drive as region 4, but shows region 1 when AnyDVD has scanned Matador Disk 1 even though this is a region 2 disk). Unfortunately, the problem with AnyDVD persists - "Rip Video Disc to Harddisk" still creates a VIDEO_TS folder with only five small VOB files (as above) with all nine Matador DVDs. I attach the new log file for Disk 1 (with 08jul16 added to the name to distinguish it from the previous log file created before I set the drive region).

@Ch3vr0n "is (this) the old 2010-2011 release or the first season of the 2012 remake?" In my original post, I said, "Matador - the Danish TV programme with 24 episodes on 9 PAL DVDs, Scanbox Copenhagen 2014 release, barcode 5-706100-769605 on the box". The disks are region 2. On the disks it says, "2013 Scanbox, 7363-X (where X is the number of the disk) 5-706I00-773633". The video in this version has less grain but is softer than the older Sandrew Metronome Video version that comes in a box dated 2009 with barcode 5-704897-058605 and labelled DDVDS F5860, with 2006 on the disks.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.0.3.0_Info_D_MATADOR_1 08jul16.ziplog
    211.7 KB · Views: 1
Not denying that, as 'small files' IS a classic handbrake issue. Now can we please stop nitpicking what i did or didn't say and get back to the issue at hand? A response by the op with our without a new logfile.

I stand corrected. Handbrake WAS mentioned. But my sole focus was on his failure with using the AnyDVD ripper alone.
""Rip video DVD to hard disk" creates only five tiny VOB files that contain the opening logo sequence."

Considering the AnyDVD ripper output is the litmus test we use.... that's what I focused on.
But yes..... many times (lately) James has personally corrected you for calling read errors a "bad disk" when it was really a new structural protection.
I agree he needs to set his region... but that's not his issue today.
Don't confuse a critique of your "troubleshooting" with any type of critique of your moderation skills.
When you opine on troubleshooting, or Sony DVD players, or anything else technical, you are not moderating - you are a user with an opinion.
When the two begin to blend....... we get a Webslinger - remember him?

-W

Meanwhile, can anyone tell me how to get AnyDVD to decrypt Matador? See @1, @3 and @16.

Back