• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Marvels Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man

ThankYouRob

First time posting here, LONG time user of AnyDVD/AnyDVD HD, with a lifetime key. Love the fact that Red Fox is superseding the former!

I'm having issues backing up my copies of Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man. I've been able to backup both The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out without problems, but these 2 titles are having issues. So here's what I noticed...I can pop all of these movies into a standalone Blu Ray player and they all playback just fine. If I put these movies into my computer, only the 2 Pixar movies (Good Dinosaur and Inside Out) playback fine. Both Ant-Man and Ultron playback super choppy, glitchy and are terrible. The discs themselves are brand new, perfectly clean.

I have no idea if this is the culprit, but its raised a flag: my Blu-Ray drive is an LG WH16NS40 with original firmware...unable to update to latest version (1.02) apparently because this was an OEM version of the drive. I found this out after doing some internet searches...although a call to LG might be my next step.

It doesnt seem to make a difference if I copy the entire Blu Ray to my hard drive and THEN try playing it back, I get the exact same results. Not sure what is causing this, but again, that Firmware update makes me think it might have an impact on this, I'd really like to backup these 2 movies to playback on my PLEX setup.

Is there a log file I can check? I dont seem to see any logs created by AnyDVD or a place to start creating those.

I greatly appreciate any help on this, thank you!

My apologies, I've attached the log file, also I'm on the latest version of AnyDVD HD 7.6.9.1 on a Windows 10 - 64-bit system

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.6.9.1_Info_E_MARVELS_ANT_MAN.ziplog
    179.9 KB · Views: 7
One of the devs can look at the log file _ I am not very good at deciphering them.
I think Ch3vr0n is here to day, he's not a dev, but he's usually all over this stuff like fleas on a dog. o_O

But try this, clean the disc and try the actual disc again in your LG reader.
New discs can have a film on them from manufacturing that some readers have a hard time getting through.
A stand-alone player has the ability to read through bad sectors and dirty discs.

Decryption is fine, there's no problematic filters either. The only 'problem' I see is an unset drive hardware region but that only affects DVD's not bluray.

As far as the firmware goes, try http://www.firmwarehq.com/LG/WH16NS40/files.html

The problem might be with the playback software, but that's the one thing you didn't say. What's your playback software, how are you playing them?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Thanks Jeff and Ch3vr0n, I appreciate the input here! Those are actually the exact firmware updates I'd found on LG's website, but as I said, those don't work, I'll call LG via their support # when they are open.

I tried playback with VLC and with MPC-HC x64 which both netted the same results. I also tried a DVD and other Blu Rays as well, and it all played back fine (except Ant-Man and Ultron) within both of those programs. I was able to rip Ant-Man and created an MP4 version, which looked terrible and had the same glitchy distortion, which is what kicked this whole ordeal off.

I'll try the cleaning of the discs, any suggested methods or what to use to clean them?

Now we're getting somewhere. First, load the rip in a licensed bluray player such as powerdvd or windvd. If they can play without pixellation issues then anydvd did it's job and the rip is just fine and the problem lies with the conversion software you use to make the mp4's. That is beyond the control of anydvd. What are you using to create the mp4's?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

But the confusing part to me is that the Blu Ray itself plays back (before conversion) with the distortion in VLC or MPC-HC.

That's because neither MPC nor VLC are licensed blu-ray player and often cannot perfectly decode the video. Nothing unusual, actually very common. Which i why you need to test the rip in PowerDVD or WinDVD as those are licensed players. If those have a pixellation issue, then it's a corrupt rip. If they don't, its your conversion suite.

I doubt it's MPC, when I had Ant Man region "A" it worked fine there.
Looking at your status window again in the log file I see you have "Removed annoying video sequences"
Load AnyDVD HD again and uncheck this and any other things like that in the AnyDVD HD control panel _ leave all the FBI warnings and adverts/trailers in place.
Only let AnyDVD HD deal with AACS and leave everything else in tact.

Load your disc again and use MPC to select playlist (what ever that may be).
See if it works now.

And your other question to clean the disc.
I use Dawn dish soap and warm water with my bare fingers.
Then I gently dry it with a micro fibre cloth.

And, this problem is not caused by any firmware updates of your reader.
Version 1.00 is the latest for that drive even though the LG web shows 1.02 and 1.03.
Those updates are for an earlier version of your WH16NS40

Last edited:
the trailer removal settings only do just that, they can't cause the video to display with pixellation issues. Just because yours worked, doesn't mean Rob's will. You may have a different version as well as different mpc settings.

I know you're would disagree with me on this, but I've run into quirky problems like this, if I made a strait 1to 1 copy only removing the AACS it works.
If I remove adverts/trailers etc. it black screens in Power DVD or I get to the movie menu and choose to play and nothing happens.
The OP has nothing to loose.

That it blackscreens is a totally different thing, that's because navigational function gets broken sometimes, it fails to navigate to the main title. I've run into that myself, but that's a completely different issue than a pixellation issue in the video, and at that point you don't have a navigational issue.

I own the Ant-Man Blu-ray. I ripped it to ISO using only "Remove prohibited user operations" and "Disable BD-Live". Mounting the ISO and playing in PowerDVD 14 it works fine, no pixelation. Converting to MP4/H.264 using Handbrake and playing back in VLC works fine.

My copy is region-free (says "ABC", guessing that is the same thing), in case that is a factor. Still, it works for me. You probably need to turn off some settings and try again. I can confirm that this Blu-ray works fine with AnyDVD HD.

Cleaning the disc had no impact.
Unchecking "Remove annoying video sequences" made no difference either.
I did install PowerDVD (trial) and I think I might be on to something here (maybe)! In trying to rule out every little aspect here, I normally don't access this computer directly via monitor/keyboard/mouse, usually only via remote desktop. So I hooked up a monitor, via VGA, disabled AnyDVD and tried to play the disc in PowerDVD, and it gave me the "unable to play this media because a digital video output is required..." I am connected via VGA, so I'll find another monitor with either HDMI or DisplayPort and connect that today to test it.

Checking the Perfomance tab in Task Manager, the only thing thats really getting utilized is the CPU and its only spiking to around 47% at its highest, when running in PowerDVD.

I will say, after disabling AnyDVD and then loading the disc - opening with PowerDVD, the disc did seem to load to the point where it gave me this HDCP message MUCH QUICKER. Just odd, do you think that with no monitor attached it didn't quite know if it was HDCP compliant or something?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I apologize, this is obviously not an AnyDVD related issue and I do appreciate the feedback, regardless!

I connected a monitor via HDMI, so I'm HDCP compliant and still, PowerDVD plays back the Blu Ray garbled and distorted. Regardless if AnyDVD is enabled or not, same results.

I can pop in The Good Dinosaur or Inside Out and they play back fine! Put in Avengers: Age of Ultron and same as Ant-Man: garbled/distorted mess. Again, putting any of those discs into my Samsung home blu-ray player, they play back just fine. At this point I'm leaning towards an issue with the BD-Rom?

If the playback is distorted regardless of anydvd being disabled or not, then it's more likely to be either a disc or system issue

Just to rule this out, I'm going to try this BD drive in another computer and see what happens.

I'm definitely leaning towards an issue with the LG WH16NS40 here, I put the drive into 2 different computers and now its playing back choppy/pixelated on any blu ray I put in! UGH!

I'm going to send this one back and try another of the same model, unless someone else has a different suggestion?

my BH16NS40 still plays everything i throw at it, maybe go for that one if u can find it :)

Back