• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Mars Needs Moms 3D (usa) - Picture narrower

ymo1965

I apologise if this doesn't relate directly to AnydvdHD but I know there's a few knowledgeable folk here that might have an answer.

I had a rip of 'Mars Needs Moms' (usa) and loved the movie so much I decided to purchase it. I checked it after it arrived but was confused to find that either side of the image has been lopped off by about 1 inch. Is this a region issue as I really do not know why the rip is full screen in as much as it fully reaches either side. This original disc seems a smaller screen lightly.

Both the rip and the disc are 1080p so why is this happening as I have many imports and this is a very rare thing for me.

I am using Powerdvd 11 ultra with AnydvdHD and not sure if any settings might fix this. Or is this just an issue with the disc and nothing can be done.

Many thanks in advance.

Cropping size is subjective due to screen sizes etc, 1 inch on your screen may well be only .5 on mine or more on others. It may well be that the original you got was from a different source and that the discs you bought are released and therefore encoded by different people. Films can be released by different companies around the world and therefore are not always going to be the same quality depending on the country you it's authored in

Thanks for your reply. The thing is it's a Disney movie, so there shouldn't be any other versions about. The rip I had must of come from the same source/release. Does ripping from a disc change how a movie is cropped perhaps?

Just seems real strange to me that's all.

Mars Needs Moms appears to have an Imax 3D release. Imax tends to use aspect ratios that can go up to 1.43:1 compared to the more usual 2.35:1 or 1.78:1 of 2D movies.

Any aspect ratio smaller than 1.78:1 (eg 1.66:1) will have black bars on the sides in a Bluray format.

It is possible that the 3D Bluray release of this title is preserving more of the aspect ratio of the Imax 3D release than the 2D theatrical release.

Also, it is sometimes possible that small black bars appear on the sides of 3D Bluray titles due to the image separation between left and right eye IIRC.

Ripping should not change cropping in a movie, unless the rip also re-encodes the movie with alterations. However, you might find some small variation in apparent cropping if you were to rip a 3D movie to 2D left and 2D right eye views.

Back