1. RedFox is offering a Cyber-Monday discount of 20% on all products (except upgrades/renewals), valid until November 30, 2022. If you are entertaining the thought of purchasing one of our products then now is the right time to act!
    Dismiss Notice

Making Backup CD of OOP NAVTEQ DX 2011 Navigation CD-ROMs

Discussion in 'CloneCD' started by monkeybagel, Mar 4, 2018.

1. monkeybagel

monkeybagel New Member

Hi all,

Has anyone been able to successfully make a backup disc of a NAVTEQ (who has since been bought out by another company) DX navigation maps? The maps in question are for North America and have been out-of-production for many years. I happen to have a set that covers that United States and Canada, and they are still useful and are still used for some trips I take. They are of course the original pressed CDs, and were the last maps created for the DX navigation system in America although they are still common in other countries. I have a legitimate reason to need to make a backup of at least one of these discs, which is the one in my area that I am most likely to use. They are unavailable from the dealer, and I saw a complete set of them, exactly matching my library of them, on eBay for $999.00 USD recently. I am not sure who would pay $1k USD for 2011 Maps, but removing the integration the navigation head unit provides (phone, CD changer control, fiber optic ring, amplifier, etc.) is not something I want to do as I would like to keep the car in original condition. Where the navigation may fall short due to new roads and routes I can resort to my smartphone, however I don't like the idea that a slight accident with the CD-ROM could render the entire system useless. These were used by vehicles utilizing the Bosch Navigation head unit until around 2003 in America. I have tried Verbatim CD-R discs written at the slowest speed, and the head unit rejects them. Presets include Copy Protected Game CD using an external LG BD-RW writer. Should I see if an older Plextor SCSI 4/8/20 would perhaps fair better?

Thank you

2. Terramex

Terramex Well-Known Member

I haven't used CloneCD for ages, so i can only give some hints.
    - As far as i remember those Navteq CDs use weak sectors similar to the Safedisc copy protection
    - some of the old Plextor SCSI burners are among the best burners for weak sectors
    - the CopyProtected Game CD backups rely on CloneCD to be installed to work. Better look for some custom Safedisc profiles that don't use emulation, but only enhancement of weak sectors - or depending on the capability of your burner no enhancement at all.
    - usually low burn speeds are better for weak sectors, but if you use recent blanks also try 8x or 16x burn speed