Making a Dell bootable Reinstallation Disk

Discussion in 'Third Party Products' started by djoy88, Mar 24, 2007.

1. djoy88

djoy88 New Member

I'm trying to understand the settings in creating a CD-ROM(Boot) using Nero Ultra Enhanced.

http://services.arnit.net/images_to_go/users2/ScreenShot0911446300324.jpg

Say I create a compilation of my Dell Reinstallation disk for WinXP SP2.
    If I burn this compilation using the CD-ROM tab, the disk is not bootable. I was hoping to make a bootable disk by using the CD-ROM(boot) tab. In the screenshot I'm using for image file Dell.img which I extracted from my Dell Reinstallation disk using ISOBuster. I'm choosing No Emulation. I have no idea what to put for number of loaded sectors. With this setup the disk is still not bootable

In doing this I've been guided by Paul Thurrott's site where he's describing how to slipstream SP2 with a WinXP disk. Actually I want to slipstream SP2 with a Dell WinXP Reinstallation disk.

What do I have to do to make the Dell Reinstallation disk bootable? Once I know how to do this, I'll try to make a bootable slipstreamed Dell Reinstallation disk.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  2. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Member

3. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I don't believe you can Slipstream a Dell install disc. Pre-Built PC's install disc's are "locked" to the individual PC. The Dell install disc is bootable from a small FAT partiton on the HDD .
    HERE is a tutorial for using Nero to Slipstream.
    A better place to post your question would be on PCMech. Someone there will be able to offer you a definite answer. Good Luck!
    edit: If you want to go to the forum that MarkNZ suggested, THIS would be a better choice.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  4. djoy88

djoy88 New Member

Thanks for the advice Old Joe. The links that you and MarkNZ provided are much appreciated. PCMech site looks promising. At least I was able to register there. Still haven't received confirmation from the AfterDawn site.

5. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

PCMech is a very respected and VERY organized forum with more PC knowledge available than you can imagine. You will get a quick and polite response to any question that you post. Afterdawn.............that's another story. :D