• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Making a back-up from a back-up?

Crower

I was just wondering, if a backup disk has been made, and for some reason the original becomes damaged or lost, can a second backup be made from the decrypted backup disk? I've never had a damaged original yet (famous last words), but being that I usually delete the ISO file shortly after making my backup disk, I just wondered if this is technically possible. Would AnyDVD HD have any problems when the backup is inserted into the computer drive and examined by AnyDVD HD? If it is possible, would it be best to make an ISO (using AnyDVD HD) from the backup in order to burn another, or could the files just be copied to the HD and then transferred to the new disk (I assume the former would be better)? Or, since the disk is already decrypted, would it be better to use Imgburn to create the ISO for burning?

I don't see this happening because I usually protect and don't play my originals, but I have lost originals before, so it would be nice to know if I need to somehow keep the ISOs from the originals (a lot of storage space - and then you have HD failure to worry about), or if the backup disk will suffice for another generation backup.

Thanks

assuming the first backup does not contain any read errors on the disc and plays normally, then the backup of the backup will behave just the same. Rip to a new iso, and burn that iso back to disc. That's all there will be to it. Anydvd would not have any problems at all with it, infact it will "disable" itself for the backup as it will detect the disc is already decrypted and "skip java fixes".

What you use to make the iso rip doesn't matter, anydvd or imgburn. an iso is an iso. Anydvd can handle protected discs, and imgburn can't but since it's already a backup imgburn won't complain either. It's all upto personal preference really

assuming the first backup does not contain any read errors on the disc and plays normally, then the backup of the backup will behave just the same. Rip to a new iso, and burn that iso back to disc. That's all there will be to it. Anydvd would not have any problems at all with it, infact it will "disable" itself for the backup as it will detect the disc is already decrypted and "skip java fixes".

What you use to make the iso rip doesn't matter, anydvd or imgburn. an iso is an iso. Anydvd can handle protected discs, and imgburn can't but since it's already a backup imgburn won't complain either. It's all upto personal preference really

Thanks much. That's pretty much what I figured, but I'm a newbie and wasn't sure. Now I feel a little better about deleting my ISO files when I finish doing a backup.:)

AnyDVD acts as an "on the fly" decrypter using the drive filter feature built into Windows.

When you put the original disc in and run AnyDVD, Windows sees it exactly the same way as it sees your burned 1:1 ISO without AnyDVD running.

So yes, you can make a backup from a backup, and you don't even need AnyDVD to do it.

Back