• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Magic File Replacement Issue

YaniD

The "magic file replacement" facility is a fantastic tool, but there is an issue in its use with ISO mounts.

There is a suggestion, for titles that use multiple .XPL files, to rename all except one to something other than .XPL and to do this successively until you find an .XPL file that works. The logic seems to be that PowerDVD can get confused by multiple .XPL files as it only expects one.

If one has a folder of files ripped from a title using AnyDVD HD, then this editing process is simple (because you can directly edit the files in the folders and do not have to run AnyDVD HD any more for that title). However, if one has an ISO of the title, then this becomes more complex and has limitations.

When mounting an ISO of a title, the individual constituent files are not directly editable. However, running AnyDVD HD on the mounted ISO does permit editing of the individual .XPL files using the "magic file replacement" facility.

Unfortunately it is not possible to rename an .XPL file in the "magic file replacement" folder whilst AnyDVD HD is running. If one stops AnyDVD, then the files become editable and can be renamed.

The problem is that once AnyDVD is run again, in order to use those edited files, it recreates any missing files from the original ISO. Consequently, all the .XPL files that have been renamed are recreated in their original form and we are back to the original multiple .XPL issue again that we were trying to overcome.

Can Slysoft modify AnyDVD HD to provide a selectable option to prevent refreshing the contents of the "magic file replacement" folder, when AnyDVD starts?

I'm aware that AnyDVD HD will not overwrite an existing file in the "magic file replacement" folder when it starts, but it will replace any files that it finds are missing (and we don't want that in certain circumstances).

It would also make life easier if AnyDVD HD permitted editing of the files in the "magic file replacement" folder, whilst it is running, instead of locking them.

Last edited:
The "magic file replacement" facility is a fantastic tool, but there is an issue in its use with ISO mounts.

There is a suggestion, for titles that use multiple .XPL files, to rename all except one to something other than .XPL and to do this successively until you find an .XPL file that works. The logic seems to be that PowerDVD can get confused by multiple .XPL files as it only expects one.

Ok, there are a few things to know here:

1. Magic File Replacement (tm) cannot remove or add files. It can only modify existing files and with an additional limitation: be careful, when enlarging a file, so it extends beyond its last sector.

2. no, PowerDVD doesn't get "confused" with multiple XPL files, which is a very standard situation. But it is possible that it - due maybe to some language settings - first goes for the wrong XPL file or a certain XPL file does cause trouble, while another one doesn't or whatever.

A player first picks the XPL file with the highest number, processes its contents and then does whatever the "program flow" dictates.
In most cases, when you have multiple XPL files, the "highest" on simply triggers a java script in the ACA files that decides, which XPL file to play. Usually this is simply based on the language settings of your player.

So what you can do instead of deleting XPL files: copy the contents of the desired one over the contents of the chosen one.
...while considering the above-mentioned size limitation. So copying the desired XPL file over the "starter"-XPL file will usually not work, because the starter-XPL usually is the smallest.
But you can copy it over the XPL file chosen by the player later on - these normally are nearly the same size.

Of course, if the problem really is with the script triggered by the startup XPL file, you're in trouble. There may be a way of referencing the next XPL file from within the startup XPL file directly though (I'm no expert here, maybe someone else).

Last edited:
It would also make life easier if AnyDVD HD permitted editing of the files in the "magic file replacement" folder, whilst it is running, instead of locking them.

I'd consider this very risky. All applications, including the OS (and its cache!) consider a disc to be read only. In other words the whole bunch of software around you "knows" that the contents on the disc will never change until you remove it.
Editing those files "online" will cause very strange effects (not "might" -> "will" ;) )

Thanks for the clarification: I misunderstood the original issue.

Consequently, with your suggested workarounds to the real issues, there is no need for my suggested modifications to AnyDVD HD.

Is there a good description of how the .XPL works (beyond your excellent summary)?

My primary problem is that newer HD-DVD titles don't work with PowerDVD 7.3.2911, even with AnyDVD HD running: they usually abort PDVD after the intro logos etc, just before the main feature starts. It's something to do with the navigation as the feature and extras work perfectly fine if I strip out all menuing code from the .XPL (but that can make playback cumbersome) and just playback linearly. I need to use PDVD 2911 for the ability to disable hardware acceleration: PQ is better with software decoding for me under XP with an Nvidia GPU and VGA output.

I have attempted to modify the .XPL to overcome this issue, but often these titles have 7 or so .XPLs and it is difficult to know which one is being used. I assumed that the .XPL renaming would help me track down which .XPL was actually being used (by not working at all for all but the correct one), but of course I have been prevented by the "magic file replacement" automatic recreation facility.

I had hoped that once I found the right .XPL file, I could delete all the others and just deal with that one.

Anyway, long story short is that I'm having trouble playing a number of HD-DVD with PowerDVD 7.3.2911 and am looking at workarounds that can make use of the "magic file replacement" facility, since I'm using mostly ISO's now that can't be modified unless they are unpacked to folders again.

Back