• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Macrovision Remover

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmickthejoiner

I recently discovered that shop bought Disney VHS tapes copied without any problem to my hard drive, further proof that AnyDVd is an excellent protection remover!

Me too as anydvd doesn't remove macrovision from VHS.

VHS and Any DVD

Nothing to do with ANY DVD...most capture boxes and apps remove MacroVision. If you backup tapes to DVD, ANY DVD is not involved. But not a bad idea to backup VHS. Again, it's legal, but the breaking of protection is not! I use the moral guideline I am copying for personal use and protection, and not for any use that is illegal in itself!

Obviously I'm not as intelligent as you are, but with AnyDVD enabled I can copy protected VHS tapes to my HDD, with AnyDVD disabled I can't!:mad:

One reply was more than adequate. Please refrain from posting the same exact thing repeatedly.

What you are saying makes no sense. AnyDVD removes protections from commercial DVDs.

he's right!!

Be careful....Anydvd is removing all kinds of protection now! I was about go at it and I saw little fox fingers slipping my Trojan Right off the old boy!! Anydvd! You've gone too far!!

Be careful....Anydvd is removing all kinds of protection now! I was about go at it and I saw little fox fingers slipping my Trojan Right off the old boy!! Anydvd! You've gone too far!!

Yes and anydvd is also causing all poverty in the world and is the pure evil.:bang:
Oh come on dude.

What you are saying makes no sense. AnyDVD removes protections from commercial DVDs.

Product Features Page:
Features
  • Works automatically in the background
  • Removes encryption (CSS) and region code (RPC) from DVDs
  • Removes analogue copy protection (Macrovision)
  • Removes features such as forced subtitles and warnings
  • Decrypts without the need to save the data onto your hard-disk
  • Decrypts 'on the fly'
  • Prevents automatic launching of 'PC-friendly' software on video DVDs
  • Allows adjustment of your monitor refresh rate for both NTSC and PAL monitors
  • Allows execution of external programs on disc insertion and removal
  • Allows speed control of your DVD drives
  • Compatible with all DVD media
  • Works with all DVD-drives, regardless of region code
  • Works with all DVD copying, such as CloneDVD, and all DVD player software
  • Works transparently for the operating system: DVDs can be shared over the network and copied with the command prompt or with Windows Explorer, etc.
  • Proven to be stable and fast and does not require an ASPI driver
  • Features AnyCDDA: play, copy and rip protected audio CDs
Now surely you'd agree that the wording "Removes analogue copy protection (Macrovision)" is not specific enough to say that it covers only DVD, and maybe that's what's causing confusion? Or... maybe AnyDVD is stabilizing the analogue feed that's being captured?

Yeah, he is probably moving it through a usb port which anydvd is seeing as a drive. Thus it removes the macrovision.

Product Features Page:

Now surely you'd agree that the wording "Removes analogue copy protection (Macrovision)" is not specific enough to say that it covers only DVD, and maybe that's what's causing confusion? Or... maybe AnyDVD is stabilizing the analogue feed that's being captured?

Without unduly getting into semantics AnyDVD is a product for handling DVDs. The OP has not stated how they are doing what they are doing. Note the bolded feature listings both above and below the line about it removing Analogue Copy Protection.

Features
  • Works automatically in the background
  • Removes encryption (CSS) and region code (RPC) from DVDs
  • Removes analogue copy protection (Macrovision)
  • Removes features such as forced subtitles and warnings
  • Decrypts without the need to save the data onto your hard-disk
  • Decrypts 'on the fly'
  • Prevents automatic launching of 'PC-friendly' software on video DVDs
  • Allows adjustment of your monitor refresh rate for both NTSC and PAL monitors
  • Allows execution of external programs on disc insertion and removal
  • Allows speed control of your DVD drives
  • Compatible with all DVD media
  • Works with all DVD-drives, regardless of region code
  • Works with all DVD copying, such as CloneDVD, and all DVD player software
  • Works transparently for the operating system: DVDs can be shared over the network and copied with the command prompt or with Windows Explorer, etc.
  • Proven to be stable and fast and does not require an ASPI driver
  • Features AnyCDDA: play, copy and rip protected audio CDs

Do we see a common thread about DVDs in the feature list?

Yeah, he is probably moving it through a usb port which anydvd is seeing as a drive. Thus it removes the macrovision.

I suppose it's possible but I can't believe AnyDVD is both detecting it as a drive and then also actually working.

More information from the OP would definitely make things more clear. I'm just really curious as to how it could possibly work.

Last edited:
On a VHS tape, Macrovision is a protection that is part of the analog video signal, and it is physically recorded on the VHS tape in the magnetic recording. It's a series of black bars in between the video frames that was originally intended to mess with a VCR's auto correction features when recording, so when you played back the recording, you would see a lot of brightness and contrast fluctuation (which are the VCR's auto correction features constantly trying to adjust for what it thinks are problems with the signal).

This was actually an exploit... VCR manufacturers could easily have fixed these auto correction circuits so this wouldn't happen, but they didn't due to pressure from the entertainment industry.

On an analog video signal from a DVD player, Macrovision is still employed the same way as the original VHS Macrovision... a series of black bars between video frames in the analog signal. However, Macrovision is not physically recorded on the DVD itself; it is instead added by the DVD player. The DVD Player will add the Macrovision signal if it sees a simple text flag in the DVD's .IFO files. AnyDVD simply patches this flag so that it no longer shows up. That is how Macrovision is "removed" from the DVD.

On an analog video signal from a VHS source, since the Macrovision is part of the recording and therefore part of the signal, in order to remove it, you would need some type of device or software to replace the bars between frames, such as a time base corrector.

Many types of hardware today (TIVO, for example) are able to detect the Macrovision signature in an analog video signal and simply disallow recording of the signal since it detected Macrovision. (It's usually added by the manufacturer due to pressure from the entertainment industry.)

AnyDVD is not video capture software. It has no code for removing Macrovision from a captured analog video signal.

If the OP is truly sending an analog video signal from a VCR to their PC, they would have to be using some kind of capture program or driver to accomplish this. What I suspect has happened is that he somehow uninstalled AnyDVD but the AnyDVD drive filter was left in the registry. This will cause Windows to not "see" any optical drives. Again, I suspect that this may have happened to the OP, and it is somehow affecting his ability to use his capture software or driver. When he reinstalls AnyDVD, since the drive filter is now found, his capture software or driver now works. That is strictly a guess based on the two short sentences given so far by the OP.

Last edited:
What I suspect has happened is that he somehow uninstalled AnyDVD but the AnyDVD drive filter was left in the registry. This will cause Windows to not "see" any optical drives. Again, I suspect that this may have happened to the OP, and it is somehow affecting his ability to use his capture software or driver.

:confused: The OP isn't having any problems unless I'm misunderstanding something. Disabling Anydvd is as simple right clicking the red fox icon and unchecking "enable Anydvd". So based on what he wrote, I thought he was enabling and disabling Anydvd using that method.

Or are you saying his drives weren't working at all?

Anyway, I still find this thread very confusing.

Last edited:
Disabling Anydvd is as simple right click clicking the red fox icon and unchecking "enable Anydvd". So based on what he wrote, I thought he was enabling and disabling Anydvd using that method.

It's the only thing I can think of as to why he's not able to capture a signal from a VCR unless he has AnyDVD "enabled." Perhaps he means "uninstalled" by "disabled."

Bizarre thread. Two short sentences from the OP and a lot of people left scratching their heads.

My interpretation is taking what was said at face value. With AnyDVD enabled they can copy Macrovision protected VHS tapes to their HDD and remove the protection. With AnyDVD disabled they can not.

There was no mention of DVD drives not working or anything else being wrong on the system. They were saying how great AnyDVD is. I just don't get how it did what it apparently did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back