• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Lots of problems with my ATI 5750

saftsuse

Hello,
I really hope someone can help me.
I have 4 major problems with my HTPC and 5750.

My HTPC is running Vista 32
AnyDVDHD
I upgraded my HTPC With an a receiver that can handle HDMI -
Yamaha RX-V2065.
I bought a XFX Radeon HD 5750 512MB GDDR5 card. (Upgrade from 3870.)
And I upgraded to PowerDVD 9 ultra with newst patch dec.24
Downloadet Catalyst 12 version number 2009.1124.2131.38610

So My problem number one :
My projector receives an 1080i signal. Found out that the refresh was set to 25i HZ.
So I changed the setting to 50hz in windows, and the projector received an 1080P signal for about 2 seconds before the picture was gone.
The sounds keep on playing but no picture.

I have to connect the HTPC straight to my TV to get the picture back.

So I found out that as long as I do not play anything with sound, I can have my HTPC at 1920*1080/50HZ, but as soon as there is sound, the picture crashes.

Problem number 2 :
With my new ATI card I get a black frame around the picture. I can not get windows to use the whole screen.

Problem 3 :
I think that maybe powerdvd downsamples the sound.
I have three choices in power DVD.
1. PCM decoded by powerdvd
2. Non decoded DD / DTS audio to external device
3. Non decoded high definition audio to external device

No matter what I choose the receiver says it is 48KHZ
Choice one gives me LPCM 48 KHZ / 32 bits - 6 channel.
But I guess that choice number 3 is the way to go?
PowerDVD info says : output - compressed data
And my yamaha says : Format : DTS-HD master audio
channel : 3/2/0.1
Sampling frequency : 48 KHZ
Bitrate : ----
Should it not have been 192 KHZ? If it is HD audio? I'm not sure about this.
Can someone enlighten me?

Problem 4.
After I start a movie in PowerDVD the sounds from other programs is gone.
For example, If i turn off powerdvd and start Google chrome, go to youtube, there will be no sound. Comes back if I restart computer.
Any way to get the sound back without having to restart the Computer?

I am thinking about upgrading to Win 7, But that is another 200$ out the window if it does not help.

Any help and suggestions are really appreciated.
Thanks,

Last edited:
Can it be the HDMI cable that I am using?
It's only around 4ft between my HTPC and receiver.

I saw an add for monstercable that they have four different types ranging from 2,23 GBPS to 10,2 GBPS
Could a better cable with higher bandwith help on my problem with 1080P and sound at the same time?

For problems 1 and 2, I think you'd go into Catalyst Control Center, Graphics, Desktop and Displays. At the bottom your two displays are there(if you have both on) and right click each to set.

That's all I know about that.

For 3, If you're getting DTS HD MA or True HD on your receiver you will get the correct rate of the movie - many are 48, few are 192. Using PCM Multichannel you can set it to what you like in windows property.

For 3 and 4 you should get the Realtek ATI 2.39 driver - it works better than the driver in CCC.

Make sure the hdmi goes to the receiver and under playback devices, check that the Realtek is default and do the setup for speakers and bitrate.

HD audio will bypass all these settings as the AVR is doing the decoding.

If it's any help I had a similar problem. picture for second then nothing. This was from the HDMI port on an Nvidia card to my reciever. It drove me mad. In the end I changed the cable between the pc and the reciever. This fixed it. The lead I was using was an expensive 1M lead. The one I replaced it with was a standard cable that came with my sky hd box....

On another point it is normal to see 'compressed data' in power dvd 9. This is because dts-MA and dolby HD are actually compressed formats on the disk. If the reciever says you are getting hd sound then you can be confident you are.

Thanks,

Thanks to Davinleeds
So far I found out that for some reason my ATI card is 15% underscan by default.
Found it under the : Catalyst Control Center, Graphics, Desktop and Displays
I just moved the slider to 0% and it filled my screen :)

Had to install the Realtek ATI 2.39 driver twice! The first time I could only choose stereo setup, no choice for surround.
Second time it worked well. It also seems to have fixed the problem with my sound missing :)

Still have problems with 1080p though.
I can set it to 1080P, but as soon as I start a movie the picture is gone.

And thanks to Markcu, I have tried two different HDMI cables, Going to buy a new cable tomorrow and try that.
Seem to be the same problem as you described.

Last edited:
Hello again,

This is getting weird.

The next day I was back to only Stereo as an option again,and PowerDVD had only the PCM decoded by PDVD option.
Went back to the CCC driver and still Only stereo.

So bought a new expensive HDMI cable and I tried 1080P again, and as usual black screen.:bang:
Had to reset vista to last working in system restore.
Started up, checked my sound and could only choose stereo.
Checked resolution, and only 1080i as option in CCC.
PowerDVD had only one choice for sound output :pCM decoded by powerdvd
Meaning no HD sound.
But I did not care, I wanted to watch some "King of Queens" And I don't need no DTS master for that, so I inserted disc one. Started an episode, and still only Stereo as option.
So after watching a few episodes I checked the speaker set-up again and now I could suddenly choose between stereo and 5.1 or 7.1.
And PowerDVD also had 3 options again. Great. :)

Next day, I turn the system on again, and this time I'm allowed to choose 1080p 60hz but still no 50HZ or 24 HZ
So I watch a movie in 60HZ, when I'm finished the 50hz and 24 hz is now an option in CCC. 8)
So right now, everything is working fine, But I do not know for how long.....

What the H.... is going on? This is just crazy.

5750 worng crad

hi

have the same problam, dont know what to do:bang::bang::bang:
my first card was Nvidia GT240 work ok!

Found out that as soon as I turn on my panasonic TV, my system goes to stereo. And resolution goes to 720P ( that is close to the native res. of TV) But TV handles 1080 with no problem.
Both TV and PJ are connected to a Yamaha Receiver, and receiver to the computer using HDMI cables all the way.

Takes one or two restarts of computer using projector before I can bitstream HD again.

So I have figured out that it must be some auto detection with the 5750 card that screws up the system.

If I turn on or off TV/projector there is a "Click" noise from the computer and the picture disappears for a second before it comes back with the new resolution to fit either TV or Projector.
Biggest problem is of course that all HD sound disappear if I use my TV.

At least the card works with 1080P now.

So Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off this auto detection nonsense??

Sounds normal. When you turn on a device, the screen(main display) will go blank and return. That's because the other display (AVR) becomes enabled. If your tv is stereo then stereo is normal. Sometimes a sensing of audio passthrough in your AVR. Some do off/on of audio passthrough to the tv. Depends how you watch. If you like tv speakers sometimes then ok, if you want to use AVR while watching, the select no audio passthrough. This is when card will sense the AVR and enable HD audio playback.

I never have to restart system, refresh in display panel or turn on AVR before system start with audio to tv off.

OK, This made sense. Now I understand why the 5.1 options comes and goes.
Usually I turn on the AVR and Computer first. And the PJ when everything is ready, to save on the lamptime. This is when I get 5.1 option.
If I turn on the TV or PJ first, there is only Stereo as an option.

Tried to start the computer with TV on, and for sure there was only stereo option. But it did not help to turn the TV and the passthrough off. Its still only stereo. I have to restart the computer to get 5.1 option back.:bang:

Why do they have to make this so difficult? Is it some copy protection scheme from Hollywood to allow the ATI 5x cards to deliver HD sound?
Or is this some computer programming from ATI that they made, cause they thought it would be nice with auto detection?

So I have now turned off the passthrough of sound to TV in AVR to make sure that I will not loose the ability to have 5.1 HD sound. But this is not a wife friendly solution. Actually it's not friendly for me either :-(

Unfortunately, the TV is to the left of the main screen / speakers for projector, so I need passthrough to TV. If not I would only have used the AVR for sound.

There is no way to turn off this auto detection?

I would like to say thanks a million for the help. At least now I know what to to do to get HD sound, and the Computer does not go black in 1080P anymore :bowdown:

Thanks again :)

Hi,
I've a similar problem with my recently bought ATI 5670 card (it drives me crazy really). When I setup the card all was fine till next day I had only stereo option availible. I tried almost all to no avail. I restored win7 from the image and did setup again, ok works for a day or two and then bang! Stereo only again. Repeated the steps and all ok. I had a closer look and I've noticed that if all is ok I had info from ATI Properties that my system is HDCP compliant and when I had the stereo only again it was saying it is not. I tought it is really something wrong with ATI and my hardware. So I put back Nvidia video card and xonar slim (which works perfect btw). The reason I went for ATI was that with Nvidia I had occasional system crashes, not too often but still...

After reading this I will do experiment more with ATI and see if it helps. I have Sony STR DA5300ES AVR and I'm not sure if it has the option to disable HDMI pass trought (I'm at work now and can't check it)

Thanks for the pointers,
Cheers

Back