• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Lossy music and resolution.

try to find something w/ USB and S/PDIF, so you can feed it w/ glass toslink later on.

anyway, your best upgrade right now would be a proper PSU as already suggested above IMHO ;)

the Tripath chips are not too famous for driving headphones, it's a speakers amp w/ a front HP out...nothing more.

a good analog pot costs a hell lot of money...a good compromise is a stepped attenuator, most serious companies don't do stepless pots at all...Burson and Firestone sure don't.

BTW, I'll have my dual AD797BR module tomorrow, I wonder how it's gonna fare against the holy LT1028ACN8 e-te.gif

Last edited:
07b0ba71881383.gif

797 is really eye popping nico54.gif

its creator, Scott Wurcer, is a living god.

on one of my fav albums, one song had a hardly bearable synthetic snare drum on the 1028, and now it's perfectly fine...and at some point I can hear some really really faint tiny bit of static for a quarter for a second, the 1028 didn't register it at all...and its X-Z SS is simply astonishing :agree:

xyz-coordinates.png

PS: PRaT is higher on the 1028A, but the 797B SS simply knocks it out.

Last edited:
ok I've received a whole bunch of LT samples, time to test them :agree:

LT1357 is said to be the "best" opamp from what Jim Williams says(he's a very famous pro mixing board maintenance engineer), eager to hear what the fuss is all about!

tut tut.. samples... just kidding
anyways, tell me how it is.

also, have you tried the k701/k702? I'd be curious what you think of them as I've heard way too many good things about them.

Last edited:
nope, I didn't try the 701/702 as I need closed headphones(I've got a noisy computer, a noisy dog and a noisy DLP projector :D)

besides I've just bought another Sony MDR-CD3000, as I've found a guy who doesn't know what this phone is worth...I got it for so cheap ^^

well, get some LT1028ACN8...and prepare to blown away! Ray Samuels tops it as high as the AD797: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6402627-post77.html

it's got a huge triangular shaped SS, a very percussive and deep low end bass response and rolled off trebles...simply a dream on headphones :agree:

even majkel finds it better than AD797...to put it simply, nothing sounds good as these! I've got a dual Burson opamp on my desk, but these babies need 38mA and my Firestone Spitfire discrete linear PSU can only feed 200mA....the manufacturer advised me not to try it :(

Last edited:
nope, I didn't try the 701/702 as I need closed headphones(I've got a noisy computer, a noisy dog and a noisy DLP projector :D)
Nooo!

well, get some LT1028ACN8...and prepare to blown away! Ray Samuels tops it as high as the AD797: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6402627-post77.html
Man, these are $20 each...! Maybe it's time for me to try get some samples..

it's got a huge triangular shaped SS, a very percussive and deep low end bass response and rolled off trebles...simply a dream on headphones :agree:
What's with rolled off treble? I like my sparkles. :p

the K701 is said to have a similar SS to the cd3k, but more boring...AKG is said to be quite boring.

yes, be glad they don't sell for $80 a pop...like those grossly overpriced OPA627SM :rolleyes:

well, read what RS about it...LT1028 is not dark at all, but it allows me to disable any EQ, as there doesn't seem to be anything resonating in the first place.

anyway, even an italian friend of mine(who's a major opampholic, he's one of them who sucked me into that game #_#) can only agree that LT1028 kills headshot.gif

and because its SS is like a huge triangle, you don't even need to bother w/ crossfeed on headphones :)

Last edited:
Do you think it would be accurate to describe the LT1363 as more hi-fi sounding than the ad797? I mean, really, the LT1363 layers things better, does it?
(erm, if hi-fi is a weird or incorrect/random term then please correct me.)

I feel that the ad797 is quite plain sounding, or is it that the lt1363 is just emphasizing random things?
Also, which would you say has more solid bass?

Last edited:
LT1363 has a very impressive holographic SS, but the sound is too colored IMHO....and AD797B has an amazing X-Z SS, but it fails hardcore w/ low end bass impact.

LT1028ACN8 just kills both...majkel and Andrea 100% agree :agree:

Andrea prefers OPA1611, try it if you like ;)

ah well.. purchased 2x LT1028ACN8 on the 20th, but they're out of stock, so I guess it'll come when it comes.

you might as well have asked for samples, because LT1028 can be cranky as it's not unity gain stable...but you'll find out soon enough whether it's compatible :)

I'm currently literally blown away by this EQ plugin: Trident A-Range Equalizer by Softube

with music: 49895d72043550.gif with movies: 2399ef72054694.gif
the SQ is mesmerizing, it gives a baaaaaaaad *ss tubey sound...I'm writing this post from heaven lamya.gif

I use it to kill some 7K/10K middle ear resonances and increase the distortion...but man oh man, such a nicely sounding analog distortion!

you might as well have asked for samples, because LT1028 can be cranky as it's not unity gain stable...but you'll find out soon enough whether it's compatible :)

What does not unity gain stable mean? Does it mean I'm gonna blow something? :p (i.e. headphones?)

Also, back to using the fast LT1363 for now.

it means you should let it run w/ crappy headphones plugged for a little while, before putting your pricey cans :)

opamps circuits have a gain, and some are stable for gain <1(like the 1028 ), some for +1(unity gain stable, the easiest opamps to deal w/), and some for +4(like OPA637)

rolling opamps blindly would make a lot EE's go nuts, as it'd be like putting whatever spare parts in a car and hope for the best :D

I annoyed Firestone Audio quite a lot to know if 1028 would work in their Spitfire DAC..and it does!

What does not unity gain stable mean? Does it mean I'm gonna blow something? :p (i.e. headphones?)

Also, back to using the fast LT1363 for now.
Unity gain is term that suggests the output signal strength is equal to the input signal strength. As would be in the case of an output buffer circuit.

it means you should let it run w/ crappy headphones plugged for a little while, before putting your pricey cans :)

opamps circuits have a gain, and some are stable for gain <1(like the 1028 ), some for +1(unity gain stable, the easiest opamps to deal w/), and some for +4(like OPA637)

rolling opamps blindly would make a lot EE's go nuts, as it'd be like putting whatever spare parts in a car and hope for the best :D

I annoyed Firestone Audio quite a lot to know if 1028 would work in their Spitfire DAC..and it does!

We have built a few audio circuits using the Difet OPA637. That OPA is stable in gains equal or greater than 5.
The OPA627 is stable in unity gain buffer circuits. OPA627/637
;)

and always measure the DC voltage on the HP out before plugging anything! I've tried AD797BR on a crappy soundcard, and it was outputting 100mVDC...the max for headphones should be 20! there's a good reason why this chip is frowned upon in CMoy amps..you can slowly fry the headphones voice coils w/ too much DC offset.

OTOH, in my Spitfire AD797BR outputs 3mVDC, thanks to some filtering caps I'd guess :)

and always measure the DC voltage on the HP out before plugging anything! I've tried AD797BR on a crappy soundcard, and it was outputting 100mVDC...the max for headphones should be 20! there's a good reason why this chip is frowned upon in CMoy amps..you can slowly fry the headphones voice coils w/ too much DC offset.

OTOH, in my Spitfire AD797BR outputs 3mVDC, thanks to some filtering caps I'd guess :)
DC is very bad for headphones or speakers. If your circuit has trouble with DC use decoupling capacitors on the output of that section. They will effectively eliminate any DC. They are common in audio circuit design for output decoupling and coupling between gain stages.

LINEAR TECHNOLOGY
LT1028ACN8#PBF Qty Ordered: 2 Qty Delivered: 0 Status: Back Order

La-dee-dah... Still on back order.

Back