• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Lossless MKV?

ryanrk

Is there a way to create a lossless mkv?

If i put the slider all the way over to the max on quality and choose mkv will that do it?

No...this program still has a bug in that it will always re-encode..hopefully this will be fixed. Until then you can use ClownBD

No...this program still has a bug in that it will always re-encode..hopefully this will be fixed. Until then you can use ClownBD

Yeah hopefully this is fixed soon. I have no desire to lose quality but want to try this out to see if it does anything better than ClownBD. But don't want to start my trial until this issue has been fixed.

Yeah hopefully this is fixed soon. I have no desire to lose quality but want to try this out to see if it does anything better than ClownBD. But don't want to start my trial until this issue has been fixed.

But problem is as most software if you installed a Slysoft product and then uninstalled it and then redownloaded the newer update and expecting another 21 day trial of the software it will most likely come up telling your trial is used up and not work. So if you don't want this to happen I advise not download and install the trials til your ready to use it.

Guess you're wrong then recycle. AFAIK CloneBD is not limited by a time duration

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

So I've been using MakeMkv for this (my trial is about to expire), is ClownBD any better?

So I've been using MakeMkv for this (my trial is about to expire), is ClownBD any better?

I actually don't do Mkv. I just shrink my BR's (into folders) removing the extraneous stuff that just wastes space.

I'd consider Mkv really - but my main concern is lossless video and audio.

Me Too

+1, I'd buy CloneBD if it allowed me to just easily make lossless MKVs. Till then I'll keep using the clown, which is klunky but effective.

do it yourself, the cheap way

I use the following programs to create my .mkv files (all are free). I prefer 100% uncompressed (lossless) video and sound, so the files are quite large as you may already know.

1. AnyDVD HD, PowerDVD and Process Explorer to get the correct .mpls file.
2. BDInfo to get the "info" on the .mpls that I get from Process Explorer.
3. tsMuxeR to "demuxify" the video, audio and subtitle streams that I want.
4. After selecting the correct .mpls in BDinfo, I use TextPad to insert the chapter times into a blank .xml template that I have to create a custom .xml chapter list.
5. mkvtoolnix (mkvmerge) to put my files plus custom chapter .xml file back into an .mkv

I can normally play these files in VLC unless the movie has some funky audio format, so then I play it in PowerDVD. PowerDVD 14 Ultra will play just about anything. It's the only program that I could get to work with Process Explorer to discover the correct .mpls file for "Draft Day." WinDVD and Arcsoft TotalTheater both wimped out.

The only downside to this procedure is that you have to do your own chapter list unless you download the file from grabber. The problem with grabber is that their files don't always coincide with the disc (movie version) that I have, or sometimes people do custom chapter lists and upload those.

This procedure was adapted from one that is posted on the internet somewhere. It is well known and works quite well. The key is to use PowerDVD and process explorer to get the correct .mpls file for the version of the movie that you're trying to do.

az_raiden

Seems an overly complicated way to do it when you can just either run from an original Blu-ray or mount an image in VCD and then use MakeMKV to do the same thing. You can select the playlist you want and the audio/subtitles you want to keep and it makes an uncompressed MKV with the chapters from the original playlist.

I use the following programs to create my .mkv files (all are free). I prefer 100% uncompressed (lossless) video and sound, so the files are quite large as you may already know.

1. AnyDVD HD, PowerDVD and Process Explorer to get the correct .mpls file.
2. BDInfo to get the "info" on the .mpls that I get from Process Explorer.
3. tsMuxeR to "demuxify" the video, audio and subtitle streams that I want.
4. After selecting the correct .mpls in BDinfo, I use TextPad to insert the chapter times into a blank .xml template that I have to create a custom .xml chapter list.
5. mkvtoolnix (mkvmerge) to put my files plus custom chapter .xml file back into an .mkv

I can normally play these files in VLC unless the movie has some funky audio format, so then I play it in PowerDVD. PowerDVD 14 Ultra will play just about anything. It's the only program that I could get to work with Process Explorer to discover the correct .mpls file for "Draft Day." WinDVD and Arcsoft TotalTheater both wimped out.

The only downside to this procedure is that you have to do your own chapter list unless you download the file from grabber. The problem with grabber is that their files don't always coincide with the disc (movie version) that I have, or sometimes people do custom chapter lists and upload those.

This procedure was adapted from one that is posted on the internet somewhere. It is well known and works quite well. The key is to use PowerDVD and process explorer to get the correct .mpls file for the version of the movie that you're trying to do.

az_raiden

9.5 times out of 10 these steps are not necessary...they are only needed if anydvd cannot figure out a java protected title. just run clownbd and you can figure it out yourself. I hope clonebd one day will do this...we'll see

I demux straight from the blu-ray disc. I don't rip to hard drive and then demux. All you need anyways is the demuxed streams to build the mkv. You need process explorer to show the correct mpls file or you're just guessing. AnyDVD will only show the correct mpls files if users have uploaded that info to the forum. With process explorer I can know the correct mpls file without having to wait for someone else to tell me. That's why with a new movie, you get 10 .mpls files at first, and then as users upload the correct .mpls info, the list gets narrowed down to what it really should be. AnyDVD has no way of correctly determining the .mpls used for a movie by itself, it's just guessing like all the other programs or showing a list of possibly correct .mpls until the user submitted correct .mpls file numbers are hard coded.

Also, ClownBD is for creating ISO images; I just want to create an mkv file that will play. This process that I use not only creates a portable lossless file that can be converted to something else later (since I use uncompressed video and audio streams), but can be played without fear of Cinavia protection. The hardest part is making the chapter files, and that usually only takes about 10 minutes at the most. I usually do it while tsmuxer is doing its thing.

Like I said, this is a do-it-yourself method where I have complete control over everything. Once you do it a few times, it's not complicated at all. I know exactly what is being done and to what and I have no questions as to what the program is actually doing behind the scenes. I have completely abandoned the whole ISO burning thing. Why create an expensive set of coasters with Cinavia lurking in the pits and lands, when, if the mkv I make doesn't work, I just delete file and start over again, only costing me time.

az_raiden

Last edited:
Like I said, this is a do-it-yourself method where I have complete control over everything. Once you do it a few times, it's not complicated at all. I know exactly what is being done and to what and I have no questions as to what the program is actually doing behind the scenes.

Using PDVD/Process explorer is fine (though maybe not really needed unless the disc is complicated)
Steps 3-5 however could be replaced with MakeMKV (and steps 1-2 on most discs)
MakeMKV works straight from the disc and achieves the same thing without any hassle.

Eventually/hopefully AnyDVD/CloneBD will be able to achieve the same results soon (fingers crossed :D )

I've looked at MakeMKV before. I decided not to use it since it had problems decoding some of the blu-rays that I own. It would get a file opening error or stream error. It was easier just to use AnyDVD with tsmuxer. I just wish I could automate the chapter list thing. It is very tedious if I'm doing more than one movie at a time.

az_raiden

Last edited:
I demux straight from the blu-ray disc. I don't rip to hard drive and then demux. All you need anyways is the demuxed streams to build the mkv. You need process explorer to show the correct mpls file or you're just guessing. AnyDVD will only show the correct mpls files if users have uploaded that info to the forum. With process explorer I can know the correct mpls file without having to wait for someone else to tell me. That's why with a new movie, you get 10 .mpls files at first, and then as users upload the correct .mpls info, the list gets narrowed down to what it really should be. AnyDVD has no way of correctly determining the .mpls used for a movie by itself, it's just guessing like all the other programs or showing a list of possibly correct .mpls until the user submitted correct .mpls file numbers are hard coded.

Also, ClownBD is for creating ISO images; I just want to create an mkv file that will play. This process that I use not only creates a portable lossless file that can be converted to something else later (since I use the raw video and audio streams), but can be played without fear of Cinavia protection. The hardest part is making the chapter files, and that usually only takes about 10 minutes at the most. I usually do it while tsmuxer is doing its thing.

Like I said, this is a do-it-yourself method where I have complete control over everything. Once you do it a few times, it's not complicated at all. I know exactly what is being done and to what and I have no questions as to what the program is actually doing behind the scenes. I have completely abandoned the whole ISO burning thing. Why create an expensive set of coasters with Cinavia lurking in the pits and lands, when, if the mkv I make doesn't work, I just delete file and start over again, only costing me time.

az_raiden

ClownBD is NOT just for creating ISO images....you can, but its purpose is to demux, provide options for re-encoding audio.

With AnyDVD running, you can demux from Blu-Ray, keep or reencode audio all in one step. It can then make an ISO file if you like, but I have never tried this. Just use the elemental streams provided, along with the chapter file, and use MKVToolnix to make your MKV..simple.

Let's hope CloneBD will be able to do this all in one lazy step...but so far it cannot.

You know you can also use BD Rebuilder. It has an option to make MKV's with untouched video and untouched audio, so all you'd need to do would be to determine the correct playlist on those few disc that have obfuscated playlist that AnyDVD HD hasn't been updated for, or just wait a couple of days until it has been updated.

So it could all be replaced with

AnyDVD HD running in background
Load BD Rebuilder and point it at the drive,
Choose 'Movie Only Output'
set output to 'Alternate Movie-only output' and choose 'MKV with intact Video and intact Audio' .With the audio you have a choice of whether it keeps the full HD audio, uses the core or converts as it gets that setting from the main settings menu of BD Rebuilder so you can choose to have Full HD, core or converted audio. (I use converted if it's DTS as my bedroom TV won't play back a DTS core but will play back AC3)
then on most discs you just set the output destination and hit Backup.

Once BD Rebuilder is setup it keeps those settings so next time you just need to load in the disc and hit go. Also if you have multiple discs ripped to the harddrive or it's a TV series you can set up a batch list and leave it processing. I've just done that with Star Trek TNG, pointed it at the disc and then went in and added each episode to the batch list by using 'Other Movie-only playlist' then hit 'Batch convert' came back a bit later and they were all done. No need to work anything else out, all had the correct subtitles and chapter markers where they should be.

On obfuscated discs if AnyDVD HD has been fixed for that disc then you should be able to just hit go, if not then just use process explorer to determine the correct playlist and tell BD rebuilder to use that playlist.

The advantage to using BD Rebuilder is that they can move over any flags in the subtitles so if they are forced the flag remains and playback software such as MPC-HC can see that and tell it to play only a forced stream and they should show up in the correct place as they are the original subtitles for that version of the movie and not a third party subtitle that may not even be for that version of the film.

I too am hoping that CloneBD gets this implemented/fixed as it would be good to just make a full untouched backup with the subtitles and chapters and have the ability to have full HD audio or core or converted audio with untouched video

Last edited:
I too am hoping that CloneBD gets this implemented/fixed as it would be good to just make a full untouched backup with the subtitles and chapters and have the ability to have full HD audio or core or converted audio with untouched video

Seconded, exactly the functionality I'm looking for, in fact I'm not going to start my trial without that.

It's very reassuring to see on this thread that my problems / requirements seem to be pretty much mainstream - handling audio, forced subs, passthrough options, etc.

Good to see everyone using mkv, I was slow to start using mkv as my final format because I was a bit scared it would turn out to be some kind of Betamax thing.

It's strange to me why this wasn't the first file format feature added (way before any public release) then the shrinking/encoding options built on top of it.

In my mind, surely it is easier/less problematic not to touch any video/audio? :confused: (from a development standpoint)

Last edited:
I looked at ClownBD and BD Rebuilder. Looks like they both use tsmuxer, and Rebuilder also uses mkvmerge to to the dirty work. They are using the same appz that I'm using. I'll give rebuilder a try and see how it does.

az_raiden

Back