• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

looking for recommendations for a USB blu-ray burner

bliznyansky

hi, everyone--i'm looking to buy a USB blu-ray burner that is capable of reliably ripping and burning 50 gb and 25gb disks. i'd also be very interested in what burnable 50gb and 25gb disks members are currently using, and what their experiences are with these disks. i've done a lot of online research on these questions, but the information on the internet is astoundingly diverse and often contradictory. many thanks!

Last edited:
Reliably ripping and burning: You need a Pioneer drive. It will fit all your needs, however the most tricky part is to overcome the layer break for burning 50GB 2-layer discs. You will need very good disc media and you should restrict the burning speed to 2x.
There is a list of drives here is this guide that are UHD capable.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634&sid=676a83335f4500d01c859b88af686fd3

You can choose between full size plus enclosure or slim size w/o buying a separate enclosure or USB-ready ones with enclosure. Depending on your location there are also sellers who actually sell the cheaper Pioneers cross-flashed to be UHD capable. Soon a WIP will be done and offering a cross-flash tool to the public.
Let me know for any question you might still have. And BTW- I will move your thread to the correct subforum.

thanks for the reply! would the Pioneer XD07UHD be a good choice for a ripper/burner? and what 50gb media have you found to be reliable? thanks again!

Yes, that's a good choice. Media is more complicated. The best seems to be Verbatim made in Japan. Try local Verbatims if you think they are too expensive. If you have also a LG drive with the MT1959 chip set like a LG BH16NS55 or similar you can also do quality tests of burned discs with VPTools when flashed to a special 16NS58 firmware. But don't burn 50GB discs with LG drives! Only do quality tests. Let me know if you have such a drive and you want to test.

Google for B07MTP9VKX
I got mine recently for around 100 bucks ...
It's labeled "Verbatim" but has a Pioneer BDR-UD04 drive inside

Google for B07MTP9VKX
I got mine recently for around 100 bucks ...
It's labeled "Verbatim" but has a Pioneer BDR-UD04 drive inside
I didn't find it in countries outside EU if he doesn't live in EU.

hi, everyone--i went on Amazon to buy the Pioneer XD07UHD bluray drive but it turns out it's apparently now out of production. its replacement seems to be the Produplicator Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD. is this the same drive as the Pioneer? thanks!

thanks for your reply, but i don't quite understand what you're suggesting. what, or who, is Asmcom? and are the Pioneer and Produplicator drives identical? thanks again!

thanks, coopervid! still, if only to satisfy my own curiosity, are the Pioneer and Produplicator drives identical? (they appear to be.)

coopervid--the images that you posted a link to are not the same as the images on Amazon for what Amazon refers as as a "Produplicator Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD Portable 6X Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray Burner External Drive." (here's the URL for the Amazon page that i've had in mind when asking all of my questions):

although this is a slot loading drive, it's clearly labeled Pioneer at its lower right--hence my question about whether or not the Produplicator and Pioneer drives are the same mechanism. thanks again!Pionner drive.jpgProduplicator drive.jpg

Yes, they sell Pioneer drives. But be warned: If these drives have firmware dated after Dec. 2022 they won't work for UHD discs!!! If you get a Pioneer from Asmcon they have firmware that for sure works with UHD discs.

great! thanks a lot for the information! are the drives from Amscom wired to run on US voltage?

Hi folks!
Am having problems with 3 year old PIONEER BD-RWBDR-XD07 with CloneBD. I would like to replace it with compatible one from Amazon. Would someone suggest a compatible one for use in US? Thank you very much!
Rich!

Back