• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Link for James on Aust Law

Wikipedia summarises this as http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_Australia#section_1

Copyright Amendment Act 2006

The*Copyright Amendment Act 2006*made changes required by the*US-Australia Free Trade Agreement. In particular, it strengthened anti-circumvention laws, for the first time making it illegal in Australia to circumvent technical measures used by copyright owners to protect access to their works, and expanding the measures which count as technological protection measures which may not be circumvented. Like the FTA language, the new anti-circumvention law is closely modeled on the US*Digital Millennium Copyright Act, although it is not identical.

Wikipedia summarises this as http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_Australia#section_1

Copyright Amendment Act 2006

The*Copyright Amendment Act 2006*made changes required by the*US-Australia Free Trade Agreement. In particular, it strengthened anti-circumvention laws, for the first time making it illegal in Australia to circumvent technical measures used by copyright owners to protect access to their works, and expanding the measures which count as technological protection measures which may not be circumvented. Like the FTA language, the new anti-circumvention law is closely modeled on the US*Digital Millennium Copyright Act, although it is not identical.

I don't see how this says, it's "illegal to possess any tool designed to defeat copy protection".

I'm no lawyer and would not try to offer any interpretation of such legislation but have a look at http://www.flinders.edu.au/library/copyright/technological_protections.cfm

Under the Copyright Act it is not permitted to use, manufacture, import, supply or communicate devices to circumvent access control TPMs and allow unauthorised access or copying. Legal action may be taken against anyone who deliberately or knowingly uses a device to circumvent, manufacture or supply such a device or provide a service circumventing TPMs. It is not permitted to circumvent a TPM to copy or access material under the Fair Dealing or Personal Use provisions.

TPM (technical protection methods) legislative wording is in schedule 12 linked in my first post

I'm no lawyer and would not try to offer any interpretation of such legislation but have a look at http://www.flinders.edu.au/library/copyright/technological_protections.cfm

Under the Copyright Act it is not permitted to use, manufacture, import, supply or communicate devices to circumvent access control TPMs and allow unauthorised access or copying. Legal action may be taken against anyone who deliberately or knowingly uses a device to circumvent, manufacture or supply such a device or provide a service circumventing TPMs. It is not permitted to circumvent a TPM to copy or access material under the Fair Dealing or Personal Use provisions.

This is all illegal. Any laws passed through the "foreign registered" Parliament (yes a corporation), for the last 20 years have been illegal. Anything referencing to "Australian Government" - also another corporation which is also illegal, is also invalid. I as a purchaser of movies have the right to do what I wish with those movies, including legal backups without the "control mechanisms".

The Free Trade BS was also illegally passed by parliament, and therefore has no legal effect whatsoever. Additionally any copies I make I am not profiteering from, as I don't sell them - they are for personal use only.

Additionally any copies I make I am not profiteering from, as I don't sell them - they are for personal use only.

Yes, and if I understand the actual law correctly (and this text is very difficult), this is not illegal:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/num_act/caa2006213/sch12.html

In the past, I have observed that in all countries where new copyright laws were introduced, the first thing that happened was, that media companies "educated" the public and the press, that everything is illegal now. With funny spots in cinema and on DVDs. In press releases. On conferences.

Nobody actually cared to *read* these laws.

All kinds of laws can be passed anywhere. The integrity of those laws sometimes only come up if they are actually enforced. A law can remain on the books if it's never actually enforced without any kind of constitutional challenge.

I don't know the details of Australian laws concerning backup tools but if it was actually ever enforced, the legitamcy of the law would be challenged. Common sense says that if a person is backing up his/her own legally owned movies for preservation purposes, there should not be a legal problem.

Common sense says that if a person is backing up his/her own legally owned movies for preservation purposes, there should not be a legal problem.

Common sense does not play any part in creating laws. Almost all laws are created for the profit of the government, and for lobby groups like Sony that want to make a profit.

I have not seen any laws make for the people in many years. Laws make for the people are a thing of the past, and not likely to resurface.

Back