• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

License upgrade

testiles

UHD Guru
Hi Karaoke. Can I ask a slightly off-subject question? I think it will be quick....

I recently asked an Elby rep if I could get a 2-year update subscription now with the possibility of upgrading to lifetime after the 2 years if I was pleased with the product.

He told me no, that once you sign up for 2-year updates you are locked in and there is no ability to upgrade to lifetime. I thought that was strange and question him on it, but he insisted, saying that is just the way the payment system is set up for them.

Do you know otherwise, since you say you are reviewing your options for January?

T

That's not slightly offtopic, that's not even remotely connected to the star wars 3D conversion topic you posted in. Post split & moved. Please post all license questions in the correct section

What the elby rep may have meant is that you are locked in for 2 years at that time, and he may have misunderstood you. If their licensing system is anything like, you SHOULD be able to upgrade to lifetime AFTER it fully expires. If not, you could always buy a new license and pick lifetime that time. Elby is in no risk at all of being shut down, as it does not do any type of decrypting.

Sorry Ch3vron. I almost re-entered the comment because I didn't know what happened to it.

The topic under Star Wars had migrated to CloneBD and renewal and Karaokeamerica mentioned he was considering upgrading his CloneBD license from 2-year to LTM in January. That's the only reason I asked him if that was a possibility there in that thread....

I think you may be right that the rep misunderstood, even though I asked him several times if I could switch on renewal after the 2 years.

It just didn't make sense to me that you wouldn't be allowed to upgrade on expiration.

As you say, worst case scenario, you could just let the 2-year expire then buy LTM I would think.

Ch3vron, how can I find out what Karoakeamerica knows about this, since he originally mentioned it.

I don't know if he would necessarily be looking under the License Update sub and there's no direction from the original conversation to here, is there? ...

T

you always get notified upon a post move. How you find out from a specific person? Pm's naturally or tag im in the topic like @karaokeamerica that.

Ch3vron, I use the forum seldom so don't know much more than how to add a comment. I only recently learned how to attach logfiles.

In fact, I thought maybe the post was moved so I went on my Yahoo email account to look for notification (lol). Now I have discovered the Alerts here (I have a few of them)!

Can you explain what you mean by pm-ing or tagging him? Does tagging mean if I add "@karaokeamerica" to this reply, it will direct him to this topic?

T

PM = private message (though on these forums they're called "conversations". It will do just that. It'll give him an alert like the ones you just discover with a link to this topic :)

@Ch3vr0n

Not sure I'm doing this "@" thing right. No word from Karaoke yet...

But I've decided to just get the CloneBD LTM. So it's all academic at this point.

Thanks, man.

T

You are, but he has to come to the forum and see it too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

You are, but he has to come to the forum and see it too.
Yes.......I am not getting notifications for anything here. I just happened to come into the forum and saw the CPL notices. I never GOT notified, but hopefully I will now as I "watched" the thread with emails.

All that being said, I emailed Elby about this after the other thread and haven't heard squat. I don't know if they have responded and it got lost in the ether or they are just ignoring the query.

I recently asked an Elby rep if I could get a 2-year update subscription now with the possibility of upgrading to lifetime after the 2 years if I was pleased with the product.

He told me no, that once you sign up for 2-year updates you are locked in and there is no ability to upgrade to lifetime. I thought that was strange and question him on it, but he insisted, saying that is just the way the payment system is set up for them.

I heard some rumors that elby is thinking about not to offer lifetime licenses any more. Maybe that's why you got this strange answer...

I heard some rumors that elby is thinking about not to offer lifetime licenses any more. Maybe that's why you got this strange answer...
It is possible, but I actually didn't get ANY answer. If they canceled lifetime subscriptions, it would really slap in the face the folks who started with CloneBD as early adopters.

Also why no response at all? I would think that they would at least mention that they got the message and are working on a reply.....something.

Then......you weren't replying to me.....sigh.......;)

Please read what I said. I didn't say that lifetime license will be revoked, they just might not sell them any more....

Please read what I said. I didn't say that lifetime license will be revoked, they just might not sell them any more....
I understood even though I mistakenly thought you were replying to me.

I was saying that those of us who bought the product on a 2 year license (for example) before it was even usable would get the short end of the stick if they decide to not sell us a lifetime license when this one expires. It's been only the last few months when it was usable for me. It functioned before that but until it did 3D it didn't do anything for me that I couldn't already do for free.

I bought it anyway based on what I thought eventually would be a cool product. I wanted to support the devs like I do for AnyDVD-HD.

I know you aren't saying that you KNOW they are going to stop selling it. I'm just saying that I think it would be unfair if they did.....especially to those of us that bought it early to help support development.

I am sure they will get their license renewal system online before first CloneBD licenses will expire after 2 years. So don't worry.

Yes.......I am not getting notifications for anything here. I just happened to come into the forum and saw the CPL notices. I never GOT notified, but hopefully I will now as I "watched" the thread with emails.

... then I am glad you found the topic!

Here's excerpts from the email conversation I had with the Elby rep.

I was sure I stated "after the 2 years is up", but I did not. So Ch3vron may be right in that he may have thought I meant mid-2 year commitment.

Anyway, you guys be the judge...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you purchase CloneBD with 2 years of updates, can you upgrade to Updates for
Life at some future time?"

We have outsourced payment, handling and other operations to the independent service provider Avangate, who offer multi-currency. The way their system is set up the renewal is automatic to "another two years", which, at the moment, cost the same they did two years ago, when the first versions were released.

"So Martin, does that mean if you initially purchase Updates for two years, you are locked in and cannot upgrade to
Updates for Life?"

That is how the system was set up by the provider we commission this service from, yes. Most customers take the lifetime option right away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T

... then I am glad you found the topic!

Here's excerpts from the email conversation I had with the Elby rep.

I was sure I stated "after the 2 years is up", but I did not. So Ch3vron may be right in that he may have thought I meant mid-2 year commitment.

Anyway, you guys be the judge...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you purchase CloneBD with 2 years of updates, can you upgrade to Updates for
Life at some future time?"

We have outsourced payment, handling and other operations to the independent service provider Avangate, who offer multi-currency. The way their system is set up the renewal is automatic to "another two years", which, at the moment, cost the same they did two years ago, when the first versions were released.

"So Martin, does that mean if you initially purchase Updates for two years, you are locked in and cannot upgrade to
Updates for Life?"

That is how the system was set up by the provider we commission this service from, yes. Most customers take the lifetime option right away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T
Well......I take this to mean that there is no way to "extend" an existing license. Basically you buy a license key that is attached to whatever email/name you enter when you buy it. It's a one-time transaction and any subsequent purchases are unrelated to any other purchases. You can probably use the same email address for new purchases, but those purchases won't be related. I can't even find a way to "log in" to that site so I doubt it has any record once the key is generated except to perhaps prove you bought something. There is no "account"? that I can find.

What I hope for is that for existing customers (early adopters) they will simply offer a coupon code or something similar for a lifetime upgrade before the 2 year license is up.

Actually, Karoke, I think he meant just the opposite. Note he says you automatically get extended out another two years...

The way their system is set up the renewal is automatic to "another two years"

I fired off another email to the rep and specifically asked if there is the option to change over to Lifetime after the two years.

Will let you know if and what he replies...

T

Actually, Karoke, I think he meant just the opposite. Note he says you automatically get extended out another two years...

I fired off another email to the rep and specifically asked if there is the option to change over to Lifetime after the two years.

Will let you know if and what he replies...

T
I think by "automatic" he meant "the default subscription term" but I could be wrong.

I looked at the site a little while ago and it allowed me to choose 2 year or lifetime. I THINK that statement from them was just referring to which was chosen by default, but you can change it. It does not auto-renew.

Back