License failure on 1st Amazon download

Discussion in 'AnyStream' started by slyvella, Dec 23, 2020.

  1. slyvella

    slyvella New Member

    I just installed the trial software, successfully logged into Amazon, navigated to a series I've been watching, and attempted to download the next episode. I got an error message that a video license and audio license couldn't be obtained and the operation was aborted. I tried the next episode. Same.

    Here's the end of the log data. I can upload the whole log if needed. Any ideas?

    00:22:27.027 - [Error] Error updating view progress: {"message":{"statusCode":"ERROR","timestamp":1608750783,"body":{"code":"CDP.InvalidRequest","message":"Invalid request 2020-12-23T19:13:03.241Z 149a6051-01e4-47bd-b612-dd58a608b2bd. See service log"}},"signature":"NotAvailable"}

    00:22:27.083 - [Notice] Storage info: Data

    00:22:27.084 - [Notice] Data

    00:22:27.084 - [Notice] Available disk space check ... OK.

    00:22:27.084 - [Notice] Selected subtitles format: embedded

    00:22:27.096 - [Notice] WCJS: GSC: Have server certificate.

    00:22:37.423 - [Notice] Requesting video license from Amazon

    00:22:39.516 - [Notice] Requesting audio license from Amazon

    00:22:43.682 - [Notice] Download process was aborted.

    00:22:43.683 - [Debug] Download channels disposed
     
  2. Ch3vr0n

    Ch3vr0n Translator NL

    We don't need the end of the logfile. The developers need the FULL logfile. Please access the problematic title upto (and including) the download (start). Then go to Menu > Create logfile and attach it here.
     
  3. TubeBar

    TubeBar Well-Known Member

    That happens every so often, usually hit f5 to refresh and redownload that episode. Something gets messed up every so often the error I get will be on wrong numbered episode (you download #2 but files on HDD w/ the error are #13). It's some kind of caching bug or something.
     
  4. slyvella

    slyvella New Member

    Here's the log. BTW I was able to download a Netflix file, so the problem is just with Amazon.
     

    Attached Files: