• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

LibreDrive

Yes, but this is definitely the wrong forum for that discussion.

Wrong section, moved.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well, in that case, yes, I've used LibreDrive. Works great. :D

Did u test a movie like FURY?

Ok, let's start with what LibreDrive is....and isn't. "Testing a movie like FURY" is pointless. LibreDrive does NOTHING to "bypass" AACS. It's not going to magically decrypt the content on a disc. You still need a valid title key to decrypt it and AACS 2.1 adds other fun annoyances to the process. Again, LibreDrive does NOT mess with AACS at all.

What it DOES do, however, is bypass firmware restrictions. So what does this mean in practice? It means, for example, that a drive in LibreDrive mode ignores requests for bus encryption. As I recently learned, bus encryption is why official drives, as an example, can't be used as "friendly" drives. Awesome! It also ignores MKB revocation of host keys. This is rather awesome, as well. To understand why I'll give you a scenario. You go out and buy the latest XYZ movie on UHD. You stick it in the drive. If that disc has a newer MKB version then what's on the drive, then your drive's firmware is updated with the new MKB. This is significant because any compromised host keys would be revoked. Programs like AnyDVD and MakeMKV would then need to be updated with a new host key that isn't revoked in order to decrypt ANY previous titles...including ones you have title keys for. So by bypassing the MKB revocation, LibreDrive makes it so you can ALWAYS decrypt any title you have a title key for going forward. Which is why it's pretty awesome.

There's one more thing LibreDrive can do but if you're using AnyDVD with a friendly drive it's not important. It involves making protected ISO's with a real UHD drive like the NS60 which AnyDVD can't do.

Ok, let's start with what LibreDrive is....and isn't. "Testing a movie like FURY" is pointless. LibreDrive does NOTHING to "bypass" AACS. It's not going to magically decrypt the content on a disc. You still need a valid title key to decrypt it and AACS 2.1 adds other fun annoyances to the process. Again, LibreDrive does NOT mess with AACS at all.

What it DOES do, however, is bypass firmware restrictions. So what does this mean in practice? It means, for example, that a drive in LibreDrive mode ignores requests for bus encryption. As I recently learned, bus encryption is why official drives, as an example, can't be used as "friendly" drives. Awesome! It also ignores MKB revocation of host keys. This is rather awesome, as well. To understand why I'll give you a scenario. You go out and buy the latest XYZ movie on UHD. You stick it in the drive. If that disc has a newer MKB version then what's on the drive, then your drive's firmware is updated with the new MKB. This is significant because any compromised host keys would be revoked. Programs like AnyDVD and MakeMKV would then need to be updated with a new host key that isn't revoked in order to decrypt ANY previous titles...including ones you have title keys for. So by bypassing the MKB revocation, LibreDrive makes it so you can ALWAYS decrypt any title you have a title key for going forward. Which is why it's pretty awesome.

There's one more thing LibreDrive can do but if you're using AnyDVD with a friendly drive it's not important. It involves making protected ISO's with a real UHD drive like the NS60 which AnyDVD can't do.

Yes SamuriHL is 100% right about LibreDrive it is not a decrypter.

DeUHD will do fury and The Patriot.

Buy no way as good as AnyDVDHD and MakeMKV. I was with Sky soft in 1st Month they opened since then they have made a Fantastic contribution. It is brilliant to have a piece of software to enable people to Safely protect their investments and make a backup discs can get damaged with wear and tear.

Have even caught my kids in the sand pit outside, filling their Sand buckets with one of my 4K discs

I have also updated one drive with Libre firmware and it works exactly as described above.
From my point of view as a user it’s a no brainer.

I still don't understand the purpose of libredrive completely.

So with a LibreDrive compatible BDXL drive I would be able to rip an UHD disk including the encryption. So the ISO would be encrypted, right?

But:

1. As it is apparently only working with MakeMKV. Where is AnyDVD in the chain?
2. I understand, that MakeMKV cannot make ISO files, does it?
3. So... What is the result after using the LibreDrive way? Would it be an MKV or a folder structure that is encrypted then? What would I do with this afterwards?
4. Can AnyDVD make use of LibreDrive technology somehow?

My goal would be: Rip my UHD Discs as Isos to my NAS and play them via Kodi or a M9702 player. How would I achieve that with LibreDrive?As it sounds like LibreDrive needs MakeMKV, there is no way to get a "iso" out of it? (would need to avoid MKV container, because mkv doesn't support the second Dolby Vision video stream).

Thanks in advance. I'm pretty new to this topic, so sorry :/

LibreDrive is part of makemkv. If you have a drive with a firmware that is supported, it just works. Makemkv does not support iso. There is a way to use makemkv to enable libredrive on a disc and then use imgburn to create a protected iso. I do this quite often. When the key is known to anydvd you can mount the protected iso with virtual clone drive and do whatever you want with it. If using a friendly drive there's no real benefit to doing this over anydvd protected iso ripping as it'll do the same thing with far less work.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Is makemkv not decoding the AACS2.x while writing the dump/rip to disk in a folder structure? I thought if MakeMKV is ripping a disc (lets say with libredrive method) and writing outputting the main title in a mkv-container on disk, that this would be a regular unencrypted mkv. So why would your kind of the same procedure "use makemkv to enable libredrive on a disc and then use imgburn to create a protected iso" result in a protected (i.e. AACS2.x encrypted) iso? Since the procedure would indirectly involve ripping to harddisk (or temporarily memory/ram) as a folder structure, which should be decrypted/unprotected then, or not? And afterwards imgburn is burning this folder structure to a classic iso?

What am I missing there?

You're missing a lot, I'm afraid. LibreDrive has *NOTHING* to do with decryption AT ALL. That's the part you're missing. It's not some "decryption be gone magic(tm)" like people seem to think it is. It does NOTHING with AACS AT ALL. What it DOES do, however, is disable bus encryption while the disc is in the drive. It does this by uploading firmware extensions to the drive's memory. These extensions go away once you eject the disc, but, if you enable LibreDrive mode for a disc, bus encryption is disabled, allowing you to create a proper protected ISO. (If you don't disable bus encryption, say on an official UHD drive like my NS60, the ISO you create is useless because on top of being AACS encrypted for which a title key can decrypt it once it's known, it encrypts it using bus encryption, as well, which is device specific). The folder backup you're talking about is using the title key to decrypt it while it's copying the contents. It's using LibreDrive to access the disc, but, again, LibreDrive has nothing to do with the decryption process. One additional benefit of LibreDrive is that it ignores the MKB revocation list. Meaning, if your drive gets updated with a new MKB, LibreDrive will still allow you to decrypt all your previous titles without having to wait for a new version of MakeMKV that supports the new MKB. That's useful.

Ok, I knew that libredrive itself is only meant as a way for raw dumping. But since libredrive doesn't exist as a seperate tool but is a utility used by MakeMKV, I thought that MakeMKV is using LibreDrive's capabilities and decrypts on the fly before writing to Hard Disk. Well... now so far I understood thanks to you that MakeMKV is in this scenarion only a GUI for LibreDrive and thus only dumping the UHD disc including its AACS encryption onto the disk. So going further... you say you then burn/write this AACS encrypted dump to iso with imgburn. As this is encrypted. How do you play back it then afterwards? Always with Anydvd enabled in the background? Or how do you get rid of the encryption to accress the Iso with any player from a e.g. NAS or so?

You can't burn a protected ISO. I don't burn discs, period. You mount the protected ISO with Virtual CloneDrive to allow AnyDVD to decrypt it once the title key is available in the OPD. At that point you can do whatever you want with it....create a decrypted ISO, create an MKV, create a partial copy with CloneBD, etc. But I do this with discs that aren't supported so I don't have to wait to rip them. Once the keys are available, I mount it in VCD, let AnyDVD unprotect it, and use CloneBD to process it.

Although, quite bluntly, lately I've been using MakeMKV to rip to decrypted folder and then process that with CloneBD. I have scripts to automate the ripping process with MakeMKV, either for protected ISO or decrypted folder backup depending on whether MakeMKV currently supports the title or not.

Thanks for clarification! :)

I expressed myself misunderstandably by saying "burn to iso". By "burn to iso" I mean writing a folder structure into an ISO file. As this procedure is for imgburn kind of the same as burning to an optical disc, but instead "burning" to an ISO disc in form of one single File onto a Harddrive. I thought this figure of speech is quite common :).

Nevertheless, thank you very much for explaining all this to me. Now I am a lot clearer about all this :)

Some of us are OLD school so when you say burn, we take it to mean to optical media. The proper terminology is to create or master an ISO if you're doing so from a folder. On that note, you could very easily use MakeMKV's backup to folder with decryption option and then master an unprotected ISO using the create ISO functionality of ImgBurn. That would work just fine to give you the unprotected ISO you need for your NAS. Personally I would just run it through CloneBD and remove the unnecessary parts to save myself some space on the NAS if you're going to do that. You can still keep Dolby Vision that way but also save quite a bit of space by removing unwanted titles, audio languages, etc. CloneBD can output that to a new ISO.

Can CloneBD also handle decrypted directories made by MakeMKV (with libredrive)? Asking because I don't own a UHD friendly drive currently and I'm not sure whether I am willing to pay the higher price for one. I understand that as an alternative to MakeMKV+LibreDrive I could use AnyDVD+UHD-Friendly-Drive and would end up with the same result that I then would have a decrypted Disc, which I could edit with CloneBD? Or can CloneBD only work with (decrypted) isos or on-the-fly with running AnyDVD in backgroud for decryption?

You can burn protected iso's just fine, no problems at all. The problems will only surface itself when you try to play back said burn. It's the same reason why you can technically just do a file copy through windows explorer and burn that, it just won't play because the aacs protection will kick in, fail to detect any bd-rom mark and refuse to play.

As to clonebd, afaik it doesn't care who or what decrypted the source. As long as it did the job right, clbd should handle it just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sure, you can TECHNICALLY burn a protected ISO but what is the point of that?

As for CloneBD, it only cares that you have a decrypted source....disc (real time decryption with AnyDVD), ISO (unprotected created by AnyDVD ripper), or decrypted folder (AnyDVD rip to folder, MakeMKV backup to folder) are all supported. It doesn't care. I'm impatient so if AnyDVD's experimental UHD support doesn't have a key for a title I'm backing up, I'll run it through MakeMKV's backup to decrypted folder option and process that with CloneBD to get the output for my NAS that I require. If AnyDVD happens to have the key I need, obviously using it is faster as you can process just the data you need off the disc making the process faster and easier. I'm just impatient. LOL

I concur with SamuriHL. As outlined in my post concerning the OPD the accessibility of it is not very good. UHD support is also generally earlier for Makemkv compared to AnyDVD. When discs are not yet supported by AnyDVD I use also use Makemkv instead. However, it needs an additional step to rip the disc first compared to process the disc directly with CloneBD and AnyDVD doing it's job in the background.

P.S.: I'm older than SamuriHL but even less patient than he is.:rockingchair:

Last edited:
Back