• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Libredrive + makemkv + AnyDVD HD powerful combination, exactly why?

kconan

Hi there, long time user with AnyDVD in the old and modern times.

For me AnyDVD was the way to play my discs in real time with my HTPC with my player of choice (mpc-be+madvr). When I saw there were Pioneer drives with much better UHD playback and direct support from makemkv I tried and honestly it was amazing and even I uninstalled anydvd. Then I discovered some protections like the ones in FOX BD's did not work and needed anydvd to break them...

And yesterday for the first time I saw a UHD disc with only makemkv in the background giving me problems. Tenet. It stops randomly. I installed anydvd again keeping makemkv and it works fine.

So please can you explain technically what does anydvd that makemkv does not? @SamuriHL

It's only handling some disc protections the difference? (the way I use all of this is only for real time playback of UHD and BD discs)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would say it just can't decrypt these discs. If that is true, you could go to their forum and report it there.

What do you mean?

The way I use makemkv for real time playback of UHD discs has been working flawlessly since I got the Pioneer drive. I just got curious about the combination with anydvd since it works better for some situations (like Tenet UHD).

Pioneer drives work much better for UHD playback than the "old" friendly drives.

I just ask for a technical explanation about difference between makemkv and anydvd.

Thanks again!

I just ask for a technical explanation about difference between makemkv and anydvd.
That's what I meant, I would say MakeMKV can't decrypt it properly or makes something different, and somehow this gets fixed with AnyDVD.

Thanks I guess that's it. Anydvd fixes what makemkv can't decrypt.

The weird thing is the need to have makemkv installed to use anydvd with these drives.

Maybe you can create and upload a logfile for the devs and people with more knowledge to look at.
(Edit) and figure out what the reasons and differences might be.

Hi there, long time user with AnyDVD in the old and modern times.

For me AnyDVD was the way to play my discs in real time with my HTPC with my player of choice (mpc-be+madvr). When I saw there were Pioneer drives with much better UHD playback and direct support from makemkv I tried and honestly it was amazing and even I uninstalled anydvd. Then I discovered some protections like the ones in FOX BD's did not work and needed anydvd to break them...

And yesterday for the first time I saw a UHD disc with only makemkv in the background giving me problems. Tenet. It stops randomly. I installed anydvd again keeping makemkv and it works fine.

So please can you explain technically what does anydvd that makemkv does not? @SamuriHL

It's only handling some disc protections the difference? (the way I use all of this is only for real time playback of UHD and BD discs)

Thanks!
You need to know that there are several layers on encryption. AnyDVD can only access so called "friendly drives" (LG / ASUS) by aflaw in the firmware and uses a "backdoor" bypassing the busencryption which is an encrypted communication between the drive and the computer. If this resolved AnyDVD and Makemkv have their own different method to decrypt the disc itself. Now Makemkv has implemented a method to break the busencryption not only for LG "friendly drives" but also for LG "official drives" and "Pioneer drives". The last two AnyDVD can't break. Therefore AnyDVD will call the command line version of Makemkv and through that the busencryption between the drive and the computer is disabled. Now AnyDVD can decrypt the data on the disc.

The big advantage of AnyDVD is that the disc appears to be completely unencrypted to all media players. And you can rip to ISO what can only be done using additional software with Makemkv. There is a possibility of integration Makemkv in the VLC player but then you need to purchase a Makemkv licence. The integration with AnyDVD for the busdecryption works with the free beta key and you don't have to purchase a makemkv licence.

Thanks for answering. I must say makemkv real time decrypting even only with beta key let me play my UHD discs directly with Mpc-be (or any software capable). So actually I had anydvd uninstalled for almost a year.

Its good to know I'll keep using anydvd for some combinations or if a need a "deeper" decrypting...

The so called integration of Makemkv with VLC works that way that you don't have to start Makemkv but just start directly VLC and it will play the disc.
A licence of Makemkv is needed.

In your case I guess you start Makemkv and then you have to click the drive symbol to start Makemkv decrypting the disc. Afterwards you can play with MPC like you stated. All these steps are not needed with AnyDVD as it works in the background and all media players see an unencrypted disc.

I'm very sorry to insist but if you enable the decryption engine globally (checking the system boxes) I don't even need to open makemkv to play my UHD discs with any software player I want (MPC, Jriver, etc). This happens only with libredrives and it's a blessing for crazy people like me who plays retail 4K discs in my HTPC for my video projector. It works in real time... And in the background.

Even I have MPC-BE software configured to play automatically when I insert a disc. And it works. It's like black magic.

Right now I'm just trying to understand the exact situations I need to combine both decrypting engines.

IMG_20230330_123537_202.jpg

The integration with AnyDVD for the busdecryption works with the free beta key and you don't have to purchase a makemkv licence.
I believe the AnyDVD integration doesn't require a MakeMKV beta key. It just needs to be installed.

Makemkv by itself uses libredrive to do a few things. First is to disable bus encryption. This stops the drive from encrypting the data being sent to the pc. That data is still aacs encrypted, however. The second thing libredrive does is disable the mkb revocation list.

Because the data being sent from the drive is still aacs encrypted, you need a title key to decrypt it. Makemkv has their own online key store that gets downloaded automatically when you scan a disc. The assertion someone made earlier in this thread about makemkv not being able to decrypt tenet is nonsense. If it didn't have a key to decrypt it, it would generate a dump and the title wouldn't play at all. So no.

Anydvd works as coopervid said with friendly drives, which official drives like the pioneer are not. They aren't bypassing anything, however. This assertion is also wrong. Friendly drives work by using an aacs 1.0 certificate to authenticate with the drive in the same way they do for regular bluray. Once authenticated they are able to bus decrypt the data coming back from the drive. This data, as mentioned already, is aacs encrypted and requires a title key to decrypt. Anydvd uses the online protection database, aka opd, to retrieve title keys for known titles for decryption.

Anydvd in combination with libredrive... because libredrive disables bus encryption, anydvd can read the contents of the disc without authenticating with the drive with an aacs certificate. The contents are still aacs encrypted, but they are not bus encrypted. In this scenario anydvd uses the opd to get the title key and decrypts the contents of the disc without having to deal with bus encryption.

With all that it off the way, tenet I believe is a triple layer disc. As such, it can be difficult to read even for a drive like the pioneer. It is extremely likely the difference between makemkv alone vs anydvd+libredrive is simply due to read errors. You can easily test my theory by creating an iso with anydvd and then playing said iso with makemkv alone to see if it still has issues. My bet is it won't.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I'm very sorry to insist but if you enable the decryption engine globally (checking the system boxes) I don't even need to open makemkv to play my UHD discs with any software player I want (MPC, Jriver, etc). This happens only with libredrives and it's a blessing for crazy people like me who plays retail 4K discs in my HTPC for my video projector. It works in real time... And in the background.

Even I have MPC-BE software configured to play automatically when I insert a disc. And it works. It's like black magic.

Right now I'm just trying to understand the exact situations I need to combine both decrypting engines.

View attachment 71339
For playing it should not matter which one. As far as my information goes you need to purchase a Makemkv licence for this to work.

Just to clarify, at least since the libredrive "revolution" its not needed to purchase a license. Real time decrypting works fine with beta key.

And secondly Tenet played fine with Makemkv alone but very unexpectedly it paused before two minutes running... If I skip chapter keeps playing. I started this thread because when I installed anydvd that freezing point didn't happen and it plays perfectly.

Then I wanted to understand what's the difference in decrypting with one or both softwares working.

Thank you anyway!

All clear, awesome as expected. So keep both is best way for any future problem.

Also I'd like to say that pioneer libredrives are much better, faster and reliable for 4K UHD playback than the previous LG friendly drives.

Back