• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

LG WP50NV40 SVC Code: NB52 DVD/Bluray Writer Review

tectpro

Translator (ms_MY)

The Good:​

• Not too expensive: The external drive is affordable, making it accessible to budget-conscious consumers.
  • External slim drive: The sleek and slim design of this device makes it highly convenient for portability and use in various settings.
  • Comes with USB Y-cable: This feature is particularly beneficial as it provides additional power when needed, which helps to maintain stable performance.
  • Bundled software: Although the included software is nothing extraordinary, it can still be useful for basic tasks.
  • Decent speed: Most users will find 26 MB/s for BD reading satisfactory.

The Bad:​

• Micro USB connection: The micro USB cable used for connection may be unstable, so it's advised not to touch or move the drive during operation to avoid disconnection.
  • Firmware limitations: Unlike other LG BD drives, this model cannot be flashed with MK firmware to enable UHD capabilities.

The Ugly:

• Risk of 'bricking': The term 'brick' refers to a drive becoming unresponsive if a firmware update/crossflash goes wrong, making it risky for inexperienced users.
  • Flashing complexity: Updating/crossflashing firmware requires caution to avoid turning the device into a 'brick'. This LG drive is more complicated than other models.
  • The risk of bricking is low but there is the complexity of the crossflashing for this drive.

Conclusion:​

Would I recommend this drive?
For those interested in UHD capabilities, this might not be the right pick due to the mentioned limitations.

Micro USB connection: The micro USB cable used for connection may be unstable, so it's advised not to touch or move the drive during operation to avoid disconnection.
I had that with my very first (external slim) BD drive. I have mentioned the model somewhere already. Everytime I moved it, or at least sometimes when moving it without care, it got disconnected and I had to restart the copy. Very annoying. Until I bought the Verbatim Pioneer UD04.

Back