• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

LG GGW-H20L (Blu-ray HD DVD) - Slow & Quiet ?

Comparing the Plextor 716sa to the LG GGCH20L with standard DVD playback. The silence of the Plextor can't be beat. The GGCH20L isn't too noisy but the Plextor is silent as it runs at 1x speed on commercial DVDs. When you enable the Plextor speed read it also will rip a SD-DVD about 20% faster and is still just a bit quieter than the GGC H20L .

Ripping an HD movie to HDD with AnyDVD right now the LG can be heard but I've had drives that were a lot noisier. Maybe a little soundproofing the case and padding around the drive would help a bit.

I haven't tried the AnyDVD speed feature yet.

Later, Conrad

Last edited:
I have the LG GGC-H20L in a Coolermaster 690 case rigged for silent running. It rips a BD at an amazing speed (e.g. 35 minutes for No Country for Old Men, a 32GB movie), and it is inaudible in any mode. In contrast to SD-DVD drives (which I use for ripping SD-DVD - why use an expensive BD/HD-DVD drive for that?) which go into turbo-engine mode when ripping, I only know the LG is doing anything because of that incredibly annoying bright blue led flashing away - which is not welcome in a darkened home theater :(

Last edited:
Slow & Quiet operation

I've used AnyDVD's 'slow & quiet' option for some time now, and it is only for quiet operation during the actual ripping process. I've found that, depending on the particular movie I'm playing, some produce drive noise and some don't. I just assume this is due to the fact that there isn't as much data being transferred and the drive responds by slowing down. I agree that the drive will run at whatever speed it needs to get the data transferred as quickly and efficiently as possible. You might be able to 'force' a slower drive speed, but it may effect the playback of the DVD.

Last edited:
Back