• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Lg ggc-h20l $95.00

Does anyone know what the difference between that one and the regular GGC-H20L? Does it have the oem powerdvd 7 included with it? If it does I might just go ahead and get one.

I have no idea what Rev K is. This Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive cannot be beat. $95 is an excellent price. I remember it used to be $199 around March of this year. Now the OEM version (which does not come with any software) is sub-$100. I now have 2 of these.

I got this drive, but am having limited success...

My wife bought the LG from Newegg for me on Black Friday as an early birthday gift.

I have AnyDVDHD installed, and am having no problems ripping ISOs of most of my HD-DVDs (except Transformers), and my Blus. I do see another couple of terabyte drives in my future because of the amount of space being eaten up...

My issue right now is ... all of my blus, whether disc or iso, are stuttering 5-10 seconds every couple of minutes, in the exact same spots. When I mean all, so far I have test-drove the original Hellboy and the first Pirates of the Caribbean movies. My HD-DVDs play GREAT, but are smaller files. (Serenity is AWESOME). I have a 2.66 core2duo XP media center with 2GB of RAM, so I have plenty of juice. I am playing everything back through WINDVD9, using Virtual CloneDrive for the isos (my new favorite application, BTW). Hardware acceleration is full on, so I am suspecting that the culprit is the older GS 7300LE video card I have installed. I am current looking to upgrade to either an 8500 or 8600 in the next few days (birthday gift from my mother in law...).

Does anyone have any other suggestions, or am I pretty much on the the right track?

Last edited:
The 7300 is significantly underpowered for HD acceleration. I would look at the ATI 4550 model, as it is a much better GPU than the nVidia 8500/8600 series; even though I have an nVidia 8600GT in my other system. For HTPC's, the Intel G45 (IGP), nVidia 9400 (IGP), and the ATI 4550 all perform extremely well for HD video. They even offer the ability to do 7.1 LPCM over HDMI. ATI claims support for bitstreaming support with its chipset, even though no ISV supports it and they didn't include an AES engine (for PAP encryption.)

The 7300 is significantly underpowered for HD acceleration. I would look at the ATI 4550 model, as it is a much better GPU than the nVidia 8500/8600 series; even though I have an nVidia 8600GT in my other system. For HTPC's, the Intel G45 (IGP), nVidia 9400 (IGP), and the ATI 4550 all perform extremely well for HD video. They even offer the ability to do 7.1 LPCM over HDMI. ATI claims support for bitstreaming support with its chipset, even though no ISV supports it and they didn't include an AES engine (for PAP encryption.)

Thanks, Shadow. I have already been given the goahead from my wife to get something that will let us had tru HD from the HTPC to our HDTV. We just upgraded our Beyond TV to 4.9 so I can record the unencrypted QAM channels from my cable, but going VGA to the TV gives us a slightly soft picture.

Okay, the upgrades begin. I fell into some birthday money, and based on recommedations, have ordered an ATI 4550 based card with 512MB and HDMI output. Also ordered a couple of HDMI 1.3 cables, and will be connecting from the card directly into the HDMI of my Sony 46in Bravia. Will hopefully have good news to report in the next few days.

I ordered the GGC-H20LK and am currently battling with it, though I think it is more my software/setup/settings. But as far as peripheral questions go, even though it is listed as OEM I DID receive the CD with PowerDVD 7.3 and LG firmware updater, as well as a SATA cord and two (why two I have no idea) manuals.

I did successfully watch and rip Prince Caspian, and now Planet Earth disk 1 is giving me trouble but I in no way think it is the drive's fault.

Alrighty then. I installed an ASUS EAH4550/DI/512MD3 Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card that I bought from Newegg in my HTPC, and my bluray files and discs are now running smoothly. Still have a little tweeking to do to get the audio through the HDMI cable to play in 5.1, only getting 2.0 right now. Grrrr.

I believe you are only going to acheive 5.1 Audio over HDMI with Windows Vista, not XP. And, if you do have issues with 5.1 Audio over HDMI, there is a workaround being discussed over on the AVSForums.

I believe you are only going to acheive 5.1 Audio over HDMI with Windows Vista, not XP. And, if you do have issues with 5.1 Audio over HDMI, there is a workaround being discussed over on the AVSForums.

Well, I've been threatening to upgrade my HTPC to Vista anyway.

If I can get my HDMI to just send the video, and use my optical cable to send the 5.1, I'd be set, but my receiver doesn't support that (as far as I can see.)

What I meant is that my receiver won't let me access the HDMI video/audio input and a separate digital audio input at the same time. If the HDMI is plugged in, it assumes that's were the audio comes from, too, and won't allow me to assign a separate digital optical signal.

Last edited:
Alrighty then. I installed an ASUS EAH4550/DI/512MD3 Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card that I bought from Newegg in my HTPC, and my bluray files and discs are now running smoothly. Still have a little tweeking to do to get the audio through the HDMI cable to play in 5.1, only getting 2.0 right now. Grrrr.

IIRC, the version of PDVD that comes with the drive outputs audio at 2.0

What I meant is that my receiver won't let me access the HDMI video/audio input and a separate digital audio input at the same time. If the HDMI is plugged in, it assumes that's were the audio comes from, too, and won't allow me to assign a separate digital optical signal.

And you did verify that the audio card is your default audio device in Windows, and not the HDMI audio port? If you did, then why don't you directly connect the HDMI cable to your HDTV, and then the optical cable to your AVR?

IIRC, the version of PDVD that comes with the drive outputs audio at 2.0

This is completely true. I just assumed he had the Retail version of PDVD, or atleast the Ultra version.

Back