• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

LG Combo HD-DVD/Bluray drive

gobuchul74

I was wondering if anyone else have experience with both Bluray and HD-DVD and could confirm/deny my own observation.

I recently obtained a combo HD drive and now that I'm ripping Bluray as well as HDDVD, I've found that about 30-40% of Bluray discs won't rip because of disc errors. If there is any teenie tiny flaw on a bluray disc I will not be able to rip it. The disc will play, but not rip.

Does anyone else experience this, or is it a problem with my drive?

I have the LG combo drive, but doesn´t see those problems. I succesfully ripped app.12 bluray and 2 hddvd discs. I had problem with 1 hddvd "Iwo Jima" and with 1 Blu-ray "The Fugitive" (see post re this). I suspect that Iwo Jima was a bad disc, and that Fugitive is a certain different copyprotection as at least 1 other person could also not rip this. I think you could have a bad drive :eek:

I get my LG drive tomorrow, so, I'll let you know. :)

I have had this drive for a weeks now, and have not had any problems other then a bad disk.

LG GGC-H20L. 299.99 at NewEgg.com. I just got mine a couple hours ago. What a fantastic drive!!!

Buying The Costly Blue Ray Burner

I Heard They Are Expensive. About $800. How Much Did You Pay For The Hd/blue Ray Burner? Does The Blue Ray Burner Also Burns Hd Disks.

Advice,

Thx

Never had a problem ripping any Blu-ray disks with mine. HD DVDs were ok too, except for the 300 combo disk. With as many problems as Warner was having with those, I'm inclined to believe it was disk related.

The LG GGC-H20L doesn't burn Blu-ray or HD DVD...only DVDs. The GGW-H20L does burn Blu-ray but not HD DVD. And it theoretically is supposed to cost 399 but good luck finding one at that price. They've been pushing around 500 or so. Certainly not 800, though.

Never had a problem ripping any Blu-ray disks with mine. HD DVDs were ok too, except for the 300 combo disk. With as many problems as Warner was having with those, I'm inclined to believe it was disk related.

Shouldn't be a problem anymore. :D

Does The Lg Ggc-h20l. 299.99 Burns Hd And Blue Ray Disks? I Was Reading In Newegg.com Tha It Only Reads Them..

I've never seen a drive that burns both HD DVD and Blu-ray. At all. The LG I have only reads both HD formats and writes to DVD. There is a more expensive model that writes to Blu-ray and DVD, but, only reads HD DVD. I don't know of any others.

I think i'm just getting some flawed discs, but I'd like to be sure. The first disc I tried ripping was Superman Returns and it failed with read errors, I tried a different copy and it ripped fine. I'm now having problems with Mission Impossible 3 and Seven Years in Tibet. It seems like the discs are faulty, but it also seems like a high percentage of bluray discs have been faulty for me. The Superman and Mission Impossible discs appeared flawless visually. So it wasn't an issue of scratches.

This is the blu-ray writer version:
http://us.lge.com/products/model/de..._optical drives_optical drives_GGW-H20L.jhtml

This is just the reader version:
http://us.lge.com/products/model/de..._optical drives_optical drives_GGC-H20L.jhtml

As stated I have owned this drive (GGC-H20L) for 2 months now and I bought it when it was a lot harder to find. The BD writer version is also very hard to find, and as stated earlier in this thread costs about 500-600$ depending on where you find it.

All links were very easy to find on LG's website.

This is the blu-ray writer version:
http://us.lge.com/products/model/de..._optical drives_optical drives_GGW-H20L.jhtml

This is just the reader version:
http://us.lge.com/products/model/de..._optical drives_optical drives_GGC-H20L.jhtml

As stated I have owned this drive (GGC-H20L) for 2 months now and I bought it when it was a lot harder to find. The BD writer version is also very hard to find, and as stated earlier in this thread costs about 500-600$ depending on where you find it.

All links were very easy to find on LG's website.

I just ordered the writer version LG GGW-H20L cost me £185 (about $365) from SVP (I live in the UK)

Personally I do not see the need for a writer yet. Most blue ray movies I have that I backed up, costs way to much to write to another disk. I am trying to figure a way to stream the movies down to my TV. I used Mvix-760HD but it does not play BD or EVO formats.

I am not even sure if there is a Dual layer BD yet. I looked up the price on newegg for a single layer and it was 11.99 - 19.99 for 1 disk. Alittle steep if you as me.

Personally I do not see the need for a writer yet. Most blue ray movies I have that I backed up, costs way to much to write to another disk. I am trying to figure a way to stream the movies down to my TV. I used Mvix-760HD but it does not play BD or EVO formats.

I am not even sure if there is a Dual layer BD yet. I looked up the price on newegg for a single layer and it was 11.99 - 19.99 for 1 disk. Alittle steep if you as me.

Dual layered BD is EXPENCIVE you are talking $35-$40 on amazon
SEE HERE

Back