• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

LG BH10LS30 Blue Ray Burner

vestabuell13

I have seen sites saying this drive is great, Just wanting to see if anybody uses it and agrees or have any knowledge of how good it really is.

I've got one :) Rather nice. Waiting on an official firmware update so i can remove the riplock, other then that it can burn pretty much everything even LTH blu-rays

I've fitted a couple of hundred of these drives with no issues so far

Actually I have this drive, and I've had loads of problems. I never really got to the bottom of it. 1st off I had the drive connected to a SAS connector, not a SATA. Some of the problems went with changing this. The rest I can't be sure if it's the media or the drive. Over on the ImgBurn forum they say it's the drive, and LG support want me to send it back for 'testing', but since I've not had a problem since only burning at 2x (on 4x rated media, that the drive can burn 8x or 10x) I've not had any more problems.

Thanks

It's good to know someone else has the experience to ask about hardware. Thanks for the input:bowdown:

I've had no issues with it whatsoever. Neither on burning BD-R's (even the LTH ones at 2x max speed) nor DVD+R's at 16x

only use quality media from verbatim

I've been writing 4 speed media (PIIdata BD-r) at 8x with no issues on these drives. Can't really say about the DVD side as I never write DVD's

Can't find firmware update.

I have seen sites saying this drive is great, Just wanting to see if anybody uses it and agrees or have any knowledge of how good it really is.

I purchased this drive several weeks ago from newegg.com. Packaged OEM, but came with cables and a BD disk with software packaged by LG. I installed the software which included PowerDVD-8. I noticed a new icon in the system "ODD Update". However, clicking it invokes a nice worthless dialog window with blank information. Nothing. I click update and again, nothing happens.

I checked the LG site for firmware and it's like the drive doesn't exist.

Anyway, I bought a (15) pack of RiDATA BD-R 4x discs and have burned 6 movies now using ClownBD and/or BD copier @ 4x speed. All 8 disks burned without errors. But I said 6 movies didn't I? Yeah, a little cockpit error on the first 2 burns, but mike_r straighened me out on those. Thanks mike!

I'd like to know if anyone has found a link to new firmware, or if it's even needed being the drive seems to be working fine for me. My suspicion is the drive is probably labeled and sold as an HP drive and the firmware is available over at hp.com. Just a guess. Seen it before with these OEM drives. One other commment, the drive seems to make some whiring sounds while it sits there with no media in it. Also, the blue light flashes intermittantly. Could it be trying to 'phone home' :confused:

There is no FW update so far. You can use this unofficial version with MSCE to remove the riplock and enjoy faster read times. I've done it an no issues.

I recently purchased Verbatim BD-R LTH media. The Verbatim website did not list this drive as compatible OR needs new firmware. I will try burning with Image Burn this week, and hope for good results. If anyone has any experience with this drive and LTH media, I'd like to know. Thanks :agree:

i had a problem when i first brought this drive. i started to rma the drive but after making some software changes on my computer it turned out to be a software issue and not a hardware issue. i'm using vista sp1 and have backed up 10 blu's without a problem overall a great drive. i say BUY IT!!!

I recently purchased Verbatim BD-R LTH media. The Verbatim website did not list this drive as compatible OR needs new firmware. I will try burning with Image Burn this week, and hope for good results. If anyone has any experience with this drive and LTH media, I'd like to know. Thanks :agree:

works great. Also I remember the drive is listed on verbatim compatible list. I'm pretty sure of this because I looked it before buying LTH

just a note:
today I tried to flash the unofficial firmware after patching it with MediaCodeSpeedEdit to increase read speed.
I started driveupdater, select correct drive and then launched upgrade. It begins to flash but after some seconds leds on drive turned off. And flash hangs. I was scared! I waited a long time then rebooted. I was lucky that drive is recognized, apparently no damage. Still why this happened? I'm also not sure about which firmware I'm now using. Read speed top 8.20MB/s, I dunno remember how slower was before if it was.
mike_r maybe you can help?
thanks

just a note:
today I tried to flash the unofficial firmware after patching it with MediaCodeSpeedEdit to increase read speed.
I started driveupdater, select correct drive and then launched upgrade. It begins to flash but after some seconds leds on drive turned off. And flash hangs. I was scared! I waited a long time then rebooted. I was lucky that drive is recognized, apparently no damage. Still why this happened? I'm also not sure about which firmware I'm now using. Read speed top 8.20MB/s, I dunno remember how slower was before if it was.
mike_r maybe you can help?
thanks

just try again after a fresh reboot.

tried again after a reboot. same problem
it begin to flash, then after some seconds led turn off and drive does not respond anymore (eject does not work, drive is not accessible). To reboot, I have to unplug usb cable manually!
Maybe firmware is updated despite this hang issue? Which read speed can be reached with riplock removal?

Last edited:
You know it works when the GUI tells you to reboot. Assume it failled unless you see this message.

riplock is something like 4x. You could get upto 8x when reading the outer edge. The USB is your bottleneck here.

You know it works when the GUI tells you to reboot. Assume it failled unless you see this message.
riplock is something like 4x. You could get upto 8x when reading the outer edge. The USB is your bottleneck here.

Since I have not SATA ports on my mobo I have now ordered a PCI E-SATA Controller and I will connect drive to it. After that I will try again to flash the patched firmware.

Finally I can flash the firmware but only after connecting the drive to the sata controller. So if anyone will experience my same issue, just remember: flashing using usb port does not work.
And riplock removal is on since I reach about 18MB/s read speed
Thanks mike

Back