Kind of a reverse subject but....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rmbrewer, Jun 2, 2019.

1. rmbrewer

rmbrewer Well-Known Member

Is there an easy way to copy protect a disc I am making for just certain people? I know that is kind of the opposite of what we talk about here but just wondering.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Well-Known Member

Pretty much any data can be encrypted. What type disc are you needing? ROM, movie, CD or what?

3. rmbrewer

rmbrewer Well-Known Member

DVD +R. It really isn't a big deal but I got screwed out of video services I did for an organization and I did another event and just thought about it. I did not encrypt anything but thought about it. Especially when you lose $3,000.00 and the head of the organization just ignores you. But you live and learn every day. Thanks for your response.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Well-Known Member

Probably easier to distribute your stuff by USB drive and make them password protected. But that doesn't stop someone with the password from copying.

5. Lauren Glenn

Lauren Glenn Member

I have a better idea.... People who have online maps (or maps in general), they add in small streets that don't exist so that if they show up on a competitor's map, they know their data was stolen. :)

When I lived out in NJ, I knew of one road that was on our map that was no longer there and showed up on no one else's map but one site's.

So put a small watermark somewhere where they can't see it and can't mask it without ruining the picture. If someone steals it, you have verifiable proof they stole your video if you record it in the copyright you can file for relatively cheap.

Just make it hard to detect but easy to demonstrate and prove.

6. unbrakochaz

unbrakochaz New Member

"they add in small streets that don't exist" I like that idea!!

7. StoneyJSG

StoneyJSG Well-Known Member

8. testiles

testiles Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  9. StoneyJSG

10. testiles

Yeah, you're right.

Hey, I didn't realize there was "consumer" copy protection. Good find, StoneyJSG!

The "protector" product I see on the link page looks promising. But I think it only protects CD's.

If he can find the equivalent of this for DVD's, he'll be in business.

T

11. StoneyJSG

No problem! I am not sure there is one DVD. He could try the CD protections I dropped the link to on a DVD and see if it works. Where is the OP anyway? Seems only testile and me are posting here.

12. testiles

Lol!

I think he may have lost interest.

StoneyJSG, I guess we can consider this done.

Good looking out brother.

T

13. StoneyJSG

Yep, case closed. No problem, I try to help when I can.