Justified Season 2 Disk 1

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by MDaleSyd, Mar 2, 2018.

  1. MDaleSyd

    MDaleSyd New Member

    When using "Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk" it fails consistently with AnyDVD Ripper FileIO VTS_01_1.VOB 523571200 473088 or VTS_01_1.VOB 1319063552 491520. Using AnyDVD HD 8.2.2.2 (Registered). The disk is US based, Sony Pictures copyright 2012, disk 1 of 3 disk set, "The Complete Second Season Disc 1 Episodes 1-5" It has been cleaned with alcohol and polished with a lens polishing cloth (untreated).

    The DVD plays successfully using Media Center DVD player on the same computer that AnyDVD is installed on. The Season 6 3 disk set completed without issue.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. mmdavis

    mmdavis Well-Known Member

    Lots of read errors. I would say a defective disc with it's age, but @James would need to say for sure.
     
    DrinkLyeAndDie likes this.
  3. MDaleSyd

    MDaleSyd New Member

    Possibly, however I was able to get a successful rip using WinX DVD Ripper. It took nearly 7 hours and was noisy as dryer full of quarters, but it did get the job done.
     
  4. Yaris

    Yaris Well-Known Member

    Which drive do you plan on replacing this one with in the near future, now that you've shortened its lifespan?
     
    DrinkLyeAndDie likes this.
  5. DrinkLyeAndDie

    DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

    If it took that long then it's likely the other software simply did an insane amount of retries and it clearly ran at a snail's pace. While it worked in completing the job is the result actually playable? I don't know how that software works and if it skips over errors when retries fail rather than requiring perfect reading. So, yes, that wasn't good on your optical drive due to the extra wear. It also does nothing to confirm that the problem is a poorly manufactured (IOW defective) disc, damaged, borderline, dirty, dusty, the optical drive isn't as forgiving as others, a combination between the disc and the optical drive, etc. You say you cleaned the disc so rule out dirt, dust, etc. That leaves a borderline or bad disc.

    Given the problem disc is 1 disc out of a set and it's been out awhile then I'd expect the issue to be with the disc, itself. Personally, I'd look into a return/exchange. That said, @James opinion is really the definitive one in matters like these.
     
  6. DrinkLyeAndDie

    DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

    On a complete sidenote, looking at the status info of the disc I actually found it surprising that the DVD Volume is actually nicely logical which doesn't happen as often as it should:

    If not for the fact that CSS was removed I might have thought it was a bootleg.
     
  7. Clams

    Clams Well-Known Member

    Your best bet it to take a disc like that to a video store and pay them $1 or 2 to run it through the resurfacing machine.
    90% of the time that will do it. The other 10% you need to replace the disk.
    -W
     
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  8. DrinkLyeAndDie

    DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

    If it cannot be returned. I don't know how long the user has owned it. If they mentioned I haven't seen it. Did they just buy it? If so then return for an exchange. :)

    What you mention is an option but I'd definitely put that last in the last resort column and if the disc was flawed during manufacture it might not help.
     
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  9. MDaleSyd

    MDaleSyd New Member

    I picked it up at the library. Ripped it as a courtesy to the others on the wait list (I waited a month to get it). I already have all of the episodes recorded on a Windows 7 media center from there original running or reruns. I am setting up for a binge watch of all six seasons and did not want to have to watch, fast forward through, or edit out the commercials. The optical drive on my computers is only used for DVD movies (mostly) and occasional music CD's. All of my software is now done via download, ISO's, or flash media. Thus the optical drive, even with abuse, is likely to outlast the computer.
     
  10. DrinkLyeAndDie

    DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

    Likely just an disc with some wear that your drive doesn't agree with.