• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Just a warning for anyone considering an Nvidia 4000 Series GPU

RedFox 1

Forum Admin
A warning for anyone considering buying one of the new NVidia 4000 series GPU's.
You MUST upgrade your PSU to ATX3. Such as the Seasonic Vertex series.

ATX3 has 4 additional pins (a data link) between the PSU and GPU. The PSU must transfer data to the GPU which describes the PSU capability. Then the GPU only use power that the PSU can safely supply.

You can get conversion cables to use an ATX2 PSU. But this not safe. At best you kill the PSU, at worst it could catch fire.
https://www.cclonline.com/article/2...es/ATX-3-0-PSUs-Explained-Will-You-Need-One-/

You must get a new PSU too, absolutely no choice if you get a 4000 series.:(

Not entirely accurate. As your already said, the main issue is with that 12VHPWR connector. Adapters from 8Pin to that one are discouraged (but hey, they'll come for free in the GPU box go figure), Corsair on the other hand is bringing our a direct pcie-cable from double 8pin to 12VHWPR, not an adapter, the amount of power being able to be supplied through it will depend on the PSU used.

Corsair recommends at least a 1200W capable PSU for the 600W cable output and only certain models are currently advertised as capable/compatible with that cable. No guarantees until gpu's actually hit the market

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

And like a fridge you'll eventually need a dedicated 20 amp circuit to run the damn thing in the US... I'm not upgrading any time soon.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I am hoping AMD uses this opportunity to release something at least almost as good but for less of a price and that does not require a dedicated generator.

You guys can do as you like I will be getting a brand new Corsair ATX3 1000W PSU when my Asus 4090 arrives. I am not spending my time and labor building a new rig just for it to go up in flames. As I said if you don't think it's true do as you please. I only get one and I would rather not take that chance.
PS: When you smell something burning I promise I won't say "I told you so"

Last edited:
Reactions: DQ
And like a fridge you'll eventually need a dedicated 20 amp circuit to run the damn thing in the US... I'm not upgrading any time soon.

I am still sitting on a 5700 XT. Does the job for what I do and what I play. No way I am paying Nvidia that kind of cash. I pray AMD takes advantage of the high prices and does their typical bang for the buck thing. But that's not what they did last gen so it might be a pipedream.

If AMD comes out just as costly I am going to probably just get a hopefully discounted 6900XT. But hey, "man plans, God laughs" so.

I've got my 3080 so I've no need to upgrade this round. But you absolutely will need a bigger psu and a second mortgage. That's if you can find one when nvidia does their typical paper launch for the first 12 months. How nvidia thinks this is a winning strategy is beyond me. It's not like they have the crypto dinks to fall back on this time. Oh well.

PCI-SIG.gif Just because I am getting a Corsair ATX3 1000W doesn't mean I am recommending them, I got it for a different reason, if I were buying it I would buy the Seasonic Vertex series 1200W (ATX3) they are the best PSUs on the market right now and come with a 10-year warranty.

Last edited:
I tend to use evga psus. They've been extremely reliable for me. In the past I used antec and they were decent. Seasonic does have a good reputation but I've never owned one. 1200 watts is an insane amount of power though.

I tend to use evga psus. They've been extremely reliable for me. In the past I used antec and they were decent. Seasonic does have a good reputation but I've never owned one. 1200 watts is an insane amount of power though.

1200 watts is an insane amount of power though.

Better to be safe than sorry.:(

View attachment 67568 Just because I am getting a Corsair ATX3 1000W doesn't mean I am recommending them, I got it for a different reason, if I were buying it I would buy the Seasonic Vertex series 1200W (ATX3) they are the best PSUs on the market right now and come with a 10-year warranty.

It's easy to mock such an outcome (speaking about the pic). But as a younger person I pulled some silly PC stunts myself that ended in uh, "catastrophic failure". :p

I am still sitting on a 5700 XT. Does the job for what I do and what I play. No way I am paying Nvidia that kind of cash. I pray AMD takes advantage of the high prices and does their typical bang for the buck thing. But that's not what they did last gen so it might be a pipedream.

If AMD comes out just as costly I am going to probably just get a hopefully discounted 6900XT. But hey, "man plans, God laughs" so.
ATX3 is part of the PCIe5 specification. So I guess RX7000 would need ATX3 to meet specs if RX7000 is PCIe5.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8601...n-rx-7000-series-uses-pcie-5-0-x16/index.html

Last edited:
I went to NewEgg and searched for all 4090's. Every one was out of stock and selling for an AVERAGE price of about $2,500. Some were near $3k.

Looks like it will be the 3090 all over again but worse.
They are selling them in their prebuilds.

Back