ISO image seems to be corrupt [CAUSE: USER ERROR]

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by FrankTheRabbit, Dec 4, 2017.

1. I've tried mounting the ISO images created by AnyDVDHD v8.2.0.0 and the latest 8.2.0.2 Beta and this is the result:

?????????? ? ? ? ? ? ANY!
    dr-xr-xr-x 10 nobody nogroup 520 Apr 27 2017 BDMV/
    ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? CERTIFICATE
    ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? disc.inf

Just trying to mount the ISO image returns errors:
    [ 0.000000] UDF-fs: error (device loop0): udf_read_inode: (ino 1358) failed !bh
    [ 0.000000] UDF-fs: error (device loop0): udf_read_inode: (ino 1380) failed !bh
    [ 0.000000] UDF-fs: error (device loop0): udf_read_inode: (ino 1374) failed !bh
    [ 0.000000] UDF-fs: error (device loop0): udf_read_inode: (ino 1358) failed !bh
    [ 0.000000] UDF-fs: error (device loop0): udf_read_inode: (ino 1380) failed !bh
    [ 0.000000] UDF-fs: error (device loop0): udf_read_inode: (ino 1374) failed !bh

I've tried 2 different Blurays and get the same results - The contents of the ISO image seems to be corrupt.

The last time I ripped an image to ISO was last year with AnyDVDHD v8.0.5.0. I still have the ISO file which can be mounted without error:

dr-xr-xr-x 3 nobody nogroup 644 Aug 19 2016 'ANY!'/
    dr-xr-xr-x 3 nobody nogroup 376 Aug 19 2016 ANYVM/
    dr-xr-xr-x 10 nobody nogroup 520 Aug 19 2016 BDMV/
    dr-xr-xr-x 3 nobody nogroup 248 Aug 19 2016 CERTIFICATE/
    -r--r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup 156 Aug 19 2016 disc.inf

[me@localhost disk1]$ cat disc.inf
    [disc]
    type=BD-ROM
    version=AnyDVD HD 8.0.5.0 (BDPHash.bin 16-09-05)
    totalsectors=23443072
    label=X-Men_Apocalypse
    speedmenu=0
    region=-1
    3D=0
    fps=23

Other than the different version of AnyDVD, the ISO image created last year was made while using Windows 7. The ISO images that seem to be corrupt were made while using Windows 10.

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Mounting in what? Mounting where? My images are all created on win 10 and all work just fine for playback and mounting

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

3. I've tried mounting the ISOs made with the newer version of AnyDVD with several Linux distros running various Kernels. The oldest kernel & distro I tried was PCLOS 2012 with kernel 2.6.38.8 & The newest kernel & distro I've tried is Ubuntu Xenial with kernel 4.9.61. All show the same problem - ISO created last year is fine. ISO created today is not. It's reasonable to think that this problem therefore has nothing to do with 1) Mounting in what nor 2) Mounting where. Something seems to have changed in the way ISOs are created / formatted. Maybe one of the DEVELOPERS has an idea?

4. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Not really. When creating the iso, AnyDVD does a sector 1:1 copy. I won't rule out, that something goes wrong during the remastering process, which does in-place modifications to UDF structures. But it could be an authoring error of the source disc, too. To rule that out, you can create a protected image. Does Linux mount this correctly? If yes, AnyDVD must do something wrong. Which would be surprising, as I hear of this problem for the first time. But I haven't tried Linux. Kodi on Linux has no problem with the isos, but they probably have their own UDF parser.
    Another test: Does Linux scan the directories correctly without AnyDVD running? With AnyDVD running? Okay, the latter can only be tested if Linux is running in a VM, so skip that... :sneaky:

5. Same problem with an ISO made with the "Keep Protection Blu-ray / HD DVD" setting checked. The ISOs that appear corrupt were made with Windows 10 on a laptop rather than in a VM but that reminds me - There is another difference I forgot to mention: the good ISO was made in a VM (Windows 7 running as a Virtual Box VM on my Linux computer).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  6. James

If AnyDVD creates a protected iso, it doesn't touch any filesystem structures. No file is deleted, moved, renamed. Only bus encryption is removed, but this is only done within m2ts files. So, I suspect the source disc already contains the problem.
    Can you mount the original disc in Linux? Does the iso mount correctly in Windows (VCD)? Can you post an AnyDVD logfile?

7. My thought on difference between the last good ISO image (made in a VM) and the corrupt ISO images turned out to be the key to solving this mystery... It's been a long time since I uploaded anything using FTP so I forgot to set the transfer to binary mode prior to uploading the ISO file from the Windows 10 laptop to my server. I was using FTP from the command line and it is set to ascii mode by default. This was what caused the corruption. Not sure if marking this thread [SOLVED] is appropriate since there was never an actual issue. Instead, I've marked the thread [CAUSE: USER ERROR]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  8. James

Oh well, this will mess things up, of course. Good catch! I am glad, AnyDVD isn't the cause.