• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ISO files no longer work in Dune HD-TV303D

To clarify, yes, I'm playing an ISO file via playlist from a Windows network share.

So the Dune HD Solo Lite supports full menus? That might be a motivation to get one. But it's not cheap, and since it did work previously with the HD-TV303D (which maybe some other users have as well)is there a chance it might work again?

lets be clear, I can go into any movie I ripped with any dvd and double click on an mpls file (as I have it associated with mpc-hc) and it plays the full playlist. I can drag the mpls file into the mpc-hc window and it plays the playlist.

can you try with mpc-hc doing what I just said, try to play an mpls playlist directly?

one thing I'd try is mounting the iso via a virtual drive system to get the files directly.

If that works, the only thing I can think of, is vlc/kodi having an issue with anydvd's creation of the udf file system. I've hd that problem on occassion.

The current release (8.1.2.0) and beta (8.1.2.4) produce BD ISO files that my Dune HD-TV303D player cannot playback. It does show the track list, but as far as I tested none of the tracks work. It will show its black screen with a clock for several seconds, then it exits back into the file browser.

It's running the latest firmware, which IIRC came out some weeks ago. BD ISO files ripped with an older AnyDVD version work fine. That means something has changed in AnyDVD that breaks compatibility with the Dune player. DVD ISO files are not affected.

I'd be happy to help debug this. If I had access to historical versions I could find the release in which this first broke. I could also create a new rip of a disc for which I have an old (working) file and try to diff them, though I'm not sure which diff program would be smart enough to process large files and do realigning of large sections (which I guess is needed, but maybe it's simpler than I think).

Thoughts?

-Jörg
I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple. The latest update of ITunes has made any ripped DVD's inaccessible due to copywrite issues. The run was good while it lasted

@James and others that own the Dune HD Solo Lite: I'm considering buying this player. Does it really play back menus and extras, such as picture-in-picture commentary and other special features, just like a normal BD player?

@James and others that own the Dune HD Solo Lite: I'm considering buying this player. Does it really play back menus and extras, such as picture-in-picture commentary and other special features, just like a normal BD player?

Acording to Dune's site it does have full BD menu suport

Yes, but what the manufacturer claims and what actually works reliably in practice isn't always the same :) And secondly, I'm specifically wondering about extras during movie playback, such as PIP commentary etc., that a regular BD player can do. Does this fall under "menus"?

I've personally owned and operated the 303d, solo 4K, and other Dune devices (about a half dozen and I can't remember all the model numbers without finding my "abandoned toy box"). I've used them with folder backups and ISO backups of DVD, Blu-ray and (with the 4K models) UHD -- folder & ISO work identically on all the models of Dune I've ever used.

The ones that don't mention handling BD menus on the Dune website, don't handle menus (or PIP, etc.). They will display a menu of playlists and you'll have to choose one to play.

The Dune models that mention handling BD menus on their website DO handle menus properly, and also PIP and all other BD required standard functions. (A,B,C,D buttons, etc.)

The various Dune 4K boxes DO NOT handle UHD menus at the moment, but they WILL display a menu of the playlists and let you choose which one to play, and let you select audio and subtitle tracks. Nothing that requires java for UHD playback, though.

--michael

I've personally owned and operated the 303d, solo 4K, and other Dune devices (about a half dozen and I can't remember all the model numbers without finding my "abandoned toy box"). I've used them with folder backups and ISO backups of DVD, Blu-ray and (with the 4K models) UHD -- folder & ISO work identically on all the models of Dune I've ever used.

The ones that don't mention handling BD menus on the Dune website, don't handle menus (or PIP, etc.). They will display a menu of playlists and you'll have to choose one to play.

The Dune models that mention handling BD menus on their website DO handle menus properly, and also PIP and all other BD required standard functions. (A,B,C,D buttons, etc.)

The various Dune 4K boxes DO NOT handle UHD menus at the moment, but they WILL display a menu of the playlists and let you choose which one to play, and let you select audio and subtitle tracks. Nothing that requires java for UHD playback, though.

--michael

that's not 100% true, I've documented here a fairly major bug in the dune smart series menu handling. (see my the tunnel thread), with that said, besides for that bug (which is a fairly major bug, but fortunately not something that impacts most blurays) it does play menus well.

Ah, well, I never did have any of the Dune Smart series (D1, H1 or B1). I learn something new every day.

Cheers,

--michael

I moved this topic, because it's not really about AnyDVD.

The current release (8.1.2.0) and beta (8.1.2.4) produce BD ISO files that my Dune HD-TV303D player cannot playback. It does show the track list, but as far as I tested none of the tracks work. It will show its black screen with a clock for several seconds, then it exits back into the file browser.

It's running the latest firmware, which IIRC came out some weeks ago. BD ISO files ripped with an older AnyDVD version work fine. That means something has changed in AnyDVD that breaks compatibility with the Dune player. DVD ISO files are not affected.

I'd be happy to help debug this. If I had access to historical versions I could find the release in which this first broke. I could also create a new rip of a disc for which I have an old (working) file and try to diff them, though I'm not sure which diff program would be smart enough to process large files and do realigning of large sections (which I guess is needed, but maybe it's simpler than I think).

Thoughts?

-Jörg

Thoughts?

-Jörg
i have a dune max and a zappiti player works great with new software update.
if your going to buy a new player try this.
http://hdland.fr/en/lecteurs-multimedias/3741-zappiti-one-4k-hdr.html
its top notch.....

The Zappiti sounds interesting. Does it have full BD ISO menu support? I didn't find anything about that on their site.

Meanwhile I've been eyeing the Dune HD Neo 4K, which Dune claims will get that support in Q1. But since there's no update for it yet I can just as well continue to use my old TV-303D (using files instead of ISOs to work around the original problem).

-Jörg

Hi AshySlashy!

Did you get anywhere with the issue of AnyDVD no longer creating ISO's that are playable on the Dune?
I have the same issue - for several months the ISO's from both DVD and Blu-Ray are not playable on my Dune HD D1 (I get an error: ”Update Application Dune Extension...Application update is required to continue (yes/no)”
and when I choose YES it says “Failed to syncronize application version with firmware version - Application launch is impossible”) so I end up having to play my MKV backup (but then I don't get any Extras, etc.)

I believe I am doing things a little differently than you though as I run the program ImgBurn to create the .ISO files (via the AnyDVD decrypted drives) and don't create them via the AnyDVD program itself (didn't even know it could do that!)

For years I have had no issues with my ISO's, but now I'm lucky if one will work without generating the error I listed above.

ImgBurn hasn't been updated in quite a while, so that's not the problem.

I posted a question on the Dune AVS forum to see if anyone there has run into this but no responses yet.

I believe you said you ruled out a Dune firmware update as the culprit? If so, I won't bother trying to load older Dune firmwares one-by-one...

I've also sent in a support request to RedFox to see what they say about the issue...

Thanks much!

-Greg

Unfortunately I didn't manage to solve this. So I changed my workflow to rip to files, which I don't like much though. I may re-rip those discs when (if) I get a new player, maybe a Dune HD Pro or Neo 4K.

I'm not sure I ever tried ImgBurn. Will give that a shot, maybe it does help in my particular case. Maybe, though that seems very circuitious, rip to files and then create an ISO using ImgBurn :)

Yes, I did try an older Dune firmware but it didn't help.

-Jörg

Unfortunately I didn't manage to solve this. So I changed my workflow to rip to files, which I don't like much though. I may re-rip those discs when (if) I get a new player, maybe a Dune HD Pro or Neo 4K.

I'm not sure I ever tried ImgBurn. Will give that a shot, maybe it does help in my particular case. Maybe, though that seems very circuitious, rip to files and then create an ISO using ImgBurn :)

Yes, I did try an older Dune firmware but it didn't help.

-Jörg

Yeah...MKV files seem to work every time, but then no menu/extras :(
My routine for years has been to run AnyDVD HD in the background, rip to a .ISO with ImgBurn, then run DVD Fab to create a backup .MKV (Fab will now force-close AnyDVD HD automatically as it likes to use its own decryption I guess)
Now I'm only having success with MKV :(
I guess I will have to try and dig up older AnyDVD versions and re-rip and see if I can find when things changed. I may also try the same thing with older Dune firmwares if I don't have any luck with AnyDVD...

Thanks for the update!

-Greg

What also works for me and only takes a single step is MakeMKV, but I just don't like a mess of individual files.

-Jörg

Back