Is triple layer BD blank media suitable for burning Blu Ray Movies ?

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Blanks' started by Cuddlybear, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Cuddlybear

Cuddlybear New Member

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum and have recently purchased a lifetime license for AnyDVD HD 8.0.3.0.

Please can you help me with a query that I have ?

I've extracted Batman season 1 disc 1 from Blu Ray and it's sitting on my hard drive as an .ISO image.

I used Img Burn in build mode to burn the ISO onto a Sony Blu Ray 100 GB BD-RE BDXL Bluray Triple Layer Printable disc.

The .ISO image is approximately 37GB and Img Burn has shown a successful burn.

However, when I put the 100 GB BD-RE BDXL disc into my bly ray player, it tells me that it cannot operate the disc.

My query is, was I wrong to have used such a large blank medium, or should I have chosen "Write folders to Disc" in Img Burn ?

I'm certain the problem lies with me rather than any software or hardware.

Thank you for any help you can offer me.

I apologise if this message has been posted in the incorrect forum.

Michael

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

For starters, why on earth did you burn a 37gb disc on a 100gb one. You wasted 2/3rds of the disc. A standard double layer one is enough second, you'd have to check your player manual if it supports bdxl

3. Pete

Pete Forum Admin Staff Member

Not many blu-ray players can physically read BD-XL discs. That was not originally part of the specification nor do any "XL" size BDs exist (I mean movies to buy) - so there is no requirement for a BD player to support that format.

4. nebostrangla

nebostrangla Well-Known Member

My thought exactly until I read again and caught this .
    Sony Blu Ray 100 GB BD-RE BDXL Bluray Triple Layer Printabledisc.
    So at least it's not totally wasted. But is a bad idea. I learned that the hard way myself.
    ie. Used Dual layer DVD blanks instead of single. Do to not paying attention.

5. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

They don't exist yet, but the first one is set to appear next month.

http://www.myce.com/news/batman-vs-superman-will-first-4k-movie-triple-layer-blu-ray-disc-79732/

now as to bd-xl itself, we both know that format was created to house UHD/4k discs, so i'm guessing the standalone UHD/4K players will be able to read them but not the standard HD ones.