• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is this possible with AnyDVD HD

generalnewbie

My monitor is the 2405 non HDCP and i would like to watch HD DVDs on my pc if possible. On the assumption that i purchase a xbox 360 HD drive and hook it up to my PC i was wondering if i could play the HD DVD without first copying it to my HD.

My monitor is the 2405 non HDCP and i would like to watch HD DVDs on my pc if possible. On the assumption that i purchase a xbox 360 HD drive and hook it up to my PC i was wondering if i could play the HD DVD without first copying it to my HD.
Yes, you can play it without ripping it your HDD assuming you have software capable of playing it.

I used a 2405FPW connected via VGA to my Mac Mini to watch HDDVDs using Power DVD HD 6.5 and an XBox HDDVD player.

This gave a little tearing on some HDDVDs but was very watchable. With AnyDVD HD I can watch them using the DVI cable to my TV - 24" is small from across the lounge.

I believe that if you have a better GFX card then you can use later versions of PowerDVD which would improve the menus/interactivity.

Faye

Watching HD movies, HD-DVD and Bluray specifically, is a very resource intensive process for your PC. If you post all of your hardware specs we could get a better idea of how the quality would be.

my current PC in its state probably wont be playing it. But im hoping for a signon bonus to my new job so i can buy some new components.

I have a AMD athlon PC3200 clocked at 2.2ghz
1 Gig OCZ PC3200 ram Timings of 2-2-2-7
GFX card is a ASUS 9800XT running VIA DVI to my Dell 2405

I don't think that i will be able to run it with my current PC considering the PC lags when i try to run Apples 1080p Movie Trailers like "300"

When i get the money im going to be giving my old PC to my GirlFriend who does nothing but use it to check email facebook and word docs. Ill most likely get a Small Factor Form Case with a PCI express and a X2 CPU and a HDCP GFX card. But still keep my monitor until i decide to get a new TV

Last edited:
Not Quite

Sorry guy but a single core 2.2 gig is just not enough processor. I haven't checked to see if you graphics card is on the list froom PowerDVd Ultra but without the processor no sense in checking.

I have a AMD athlon PC3200 clocked at 2.2ghz
1 Gig OCZ PC3200 ram Timings of 2-2-2-7
GFX card is a ASUS 9800XT running VIA DVI to my Dell 2405

Yeah you will need a whole new setup. We are in the same boat. I am going to get a E4300, E6300, or E6320 and overclock it to about 2.8 Ghz. 8800GTS. 1 or 2 gigs of ram, and a Terabyte of storage.

Sorry guy but a single core 2.2 gig is just not enough processor. I haven't checked to see if you graphics card is on the list froom PowerDVd Ultra but without the processor no sense in checking.

Actually a single core will work. The biggest piece is the video card. I just got a friend of mine up and running on a Opteron 150 (2.4 GHZ single core) with an ATI 1600 Pro (AGP). Any friend of mine is able to run with a FX-55 and a 1900XT. Single is cool as long as the processor is an AMD Ahtlon 64 (2.0 GHZ or higher)..

L8

Playing back from HD-DVD Disk (XP) - If using a NON HDCP Video card and or monitor, and you are connecting via DVI, playback will not work (HDCP is required). Playback will work fine if using VGA.

If ripped to Hard Disk (XP) - Playback will work regardless of using DVI or VGA.

Vista required HDCP compliant Video Card and Monitor.

L8

Playing back from HD-DVD Disk (XP) - If using a NON HDCP Video card and or monitor, and you are connecting via DVI, playback will not work (HDCP is required).
With AnyDVD HD, it will.

With AnyDVD HD, it will.

Do you mean with AnyDVD HD running in the background while attempting to play an HD-DVD disk (not copy) with PowerDVD? Since using AnyDVD HD I have not tried to play HD-DVD disks using PowerDVD via DVI.

If AnyDVD HD is not installed if you cannot playback HD-DVD disk using PowerDVD via DVI.

I will check this in a few...

L8

Do you mean with AnyDVD HD running in the background while attempting to play an HD-DVD disk (not copy) with PowerDVD? Since using AnyDVD HD I have not tried to play HD-DVD disks using PowerDVD via DVI.
Of course. AnyDVD makes protections invisible for all applications and the OS.
AnyDVD is much more than a ripper (in fact, the ripper is only a small "add on").

If AnyDVD HD is not installed if you cannot playback HD-DVD disk using PowerDVD via DVI.
Exactly. You just have discovered the main purpose of AnyDVD HD. :D

AnyDVD is much more than a ripper (in fact, the ripper is only a small "add on").

Ohhh.. Holy Smack!!! I never tried since installing AnyDVD HD.. You the MAN!! :)

This means I need to update my review on the site (www.hidef.com).. ;)

Ohhh.. Holy Smack!!! I never tried since installing AnyDVD HD.. You the MAN!! :)

This means I need to update my review on the site (www.hidef.com).. ;)

Don't forget to mention, that you can jump over unwanted studio logos, and that many HD DVDs won't play at all without AnyDVD HD running (Wolf Creek, Clerks 2, and all Studio Canal titles).

Any thought to making an application similar to PowerDVD7 Deluxe which seems to be using up a lot of CPU recourses. The standalone Toshiba HDDVD shown here has a Pentium 4 Processor (2.4GHz) and it uses a computer drive to play HDDVD.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fodTWo2JDwI

Any thought to making an application similar to PowerDVD7 Deluxe which seems to be using up a lot of CPU recourses. The standalone Toshiba HDDVD shown here has a Pentium 4 Processor (2.4GHz) and it uses a computer drive to play HDDVD.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fodTWo2JDwI

...and it uses a Broadcom hardware mpeg2/4/H264/VC1 decoder, which frees the CPU.

...and it uses a Broadcom hardware mpeg2/4/H264/VC1 decoder, which frees the CPU.

How can this be used in a typical computer setup? Perhaps in an external device or in a chip included in a internal drive. Can you explain just how it works to free up the CPU?

I did a search and found the Broadcom site:

www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/downloaddrivers.php

Check #10 out on this list. I did a search on their site:

http://websearch.broadcom.com/query.html?qt=mpeg2/4.H264/VC1+decoder&submit.x=20&submit.y=13

Last edited:
How can this be used in a typical computer setup? Perhaps in an external device or in a chip included in a internal drive. Can you explain just how it works to free up the CPU?

I did a search and found the Broadcom site:

www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/downloaddrivers.php

Check #10 out on this list. I did a search on their site:

http://websearch.broadcom.com/query.html?qt=mpeg2/4.H264/VC1+decoder&submit.x=20&submit.y=13

It is soldered on the motherboard.

It is soldered on the motherboard.

If someone can get a copywriter to merge that "chip" with an internal HDDVD hard drive, there would be a lot of money to me made.

Last edited:
It would be more appropriate to put that chip on a graphics card or separate video accelerator card (I remember when these came out for MPEG2 decoding). It's not something which is done as the disk is read, since at that point the stream is encoded.

Nice idea... I'm sure that when HDDVD catches on for the mainstream this sort of thing will appear... probably also have an HDCP compliant HDMI output too, maybe with VGA overlay.

Back