• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is there anyway to shrink down a BD to a "portable" file?

ckelly33

I was one of the few that liked HD-DVD's combo discs. I liked having a copy that I could play in the car or, better yet, easily rip onto my Archos (AV700).

I have AnyDVD HD, and have converted to Blu-ray. I was excited that SlySoft had conquered BD+. Now I'm love to be able to copy my BD's in the same fashion (and produce similar file sizes). I'm not looking for high definition for my Archos (obviously), but I am looking for a way to make a portable copy.

I've only ripped one movie (Batman Begins HD-DVD) but the results were an .iso format. I'm not sure how to go from .iso to .avi to play on my Archos.

I know that what I am asking is a longshot, but is anyone aware of a way to make myself a portable copy for the archos (.avi, ~800mb) from a HD-DVD, BD or BD+?

I was one of the few that liked HD-DVD's combo discs. I liked having a copy that I could play in the car or, better yet, easily rip onto my Archos (AV700).

I have AnyDVD HD, and have converted to Blu-ray. I was excited that SlySoft had conquered BD+. Now I'm love to be able to copy my BD's in the same fashion (and produce similar file sizes). I'm not looking for high definition for my Archos (obviously), but I am looking for a way to make a portable copy.

I've only ripped one movie (Batman Begins HD-DVD) but the results were an .iso format. I'm not sure how to go from .iso to .avi to play on my Archos.

I know that what I am asking is a longshot, but is anyone aware of a way to make myself a portable copy for the archos (.avi, ~800mb) from a HD-DVD, BD or BD+?

not too sure why you would want to take a 15GB-30GB file and compress it so much (15 or 30:1)...why not just use the dvd version and use superc or the like...this way you are only going 7:1

by the time you are done the file you create would look pretty much the same no matter what you started with..save yourself all the steps and time...

not too sure why you would want to take a 15GB-30GB file and compress it so much (15 or 30:1)...why not just use the dvd version and use superc or the like...this way you are only going 7:1

by the time you are done the file you create would look pretty much the same no matter what you started with..save yourself all the steps and time...

Mainly because I no longer buy DVD's - only HD-DVD & BR. When I buy a kids movie, I'd like to have a portable copy for the road. I don't care how I do it (BD->portable file or BD->DVD->portable file), I was just hoping that there was a solution to go from what I buy (BD, HD-DVD) to a copy my kids can take on trips (.avi). It may not be possible (yet), but I thought this might be the place to find out.

btw, what is superc?

Last edited:
Mainly because I no longer buy DVD's - only HD-DVD & BR. When I buy a kids movie, I'd like to have a portable copy for the road. I don't care how I do it (BD->portable file or BD->DVD->portable file), I was just hoping that there was a solution to go from what I buy (BD, HD-DVD) to a copy my kids can take on trips (.avi). It may not be possible (yet), but I thought this might be the place to find out.
Same here for BD - wanted a dvd for the kids room (they don't have HD lol) and a portable copy for their media player. I'm certainly not going to pay another $20 when I already paid $35 for the BD version.

I bought ConvertXtoDVD 3.0 from VSO - you can open the movie file (.m2ts - it will be the biggest one in the stream folder) and create a dvd directly from that (obviously you want to do that from a rip or ISO mount - it takes longer directly from the disk). Cost $30 with the spring08 coupon code - well worth it. It creates a complete dvd structure so if you want to create a portable file, you can just open that in CloneDvdMobile. I have used it succesfully on BD+ also after AnyDvd HD magic removal :D

BTW Super (the C is a copyright symbol) is a video converter GUI which can handle almost any file format - but it will NOT handle .m2ts BD files (pops up a warning that HDTV format is not allowed - see website). It was the first thing I tried before I found ConvertXtoDVD 3.

I understand there are some BD titles that are insanely interleaved that have to be put into one .m2ts file with TSMuxer (some Disney/Fox titles?) but I haven't come across one yet. The only Disney BD I have done this with is Bridge to Terabithia and that had the normal structure (biggest .m2ts was the complete movie).

I have a Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.7GHz with 2MB PC-6400 @ 800MHz on an XFX 680i LT M/B and I can process a complete BD movie at up to 1.6x (so a 1.6 hour movie is done in 1 hour) - I burn to Verbatim 8x DL (made in Singapore - I snagged 100 at 75cents each :D in a Best Buy sale) so I use DVD-9 setting and get maximum DVD spec bitrate ~9Mbps and can select audio and subtitles (presentation graphics) that I want (I just keep the AC3 stream). Obviously the portable file is much quicker - ~25 minutes from the resulting dvd.

I don't think there is a BD -> portable solution - but I prefer this one as I get a proper dvd for the kids room player as well. Kills two birds with one stone, so to speak!

http://www.vso-software.fr/support.php - if you use the trial be warned that the output dvd will have a huge "watermark" every 5 seconds.

This software is my best investment as far as making BD useable (outside my BD drive) since AnyDvd HD and completes the set, so to speak (I own all the other Elby/Slysoft products as well).

Next step for me is to try the HD-DVD "shrink" method in the Sticky Threads to do the same thing - especially as the HD-DVD disks are now available for less than $10 at amazon.com :)

I also intend to convert all my BD with TSRemux to make a BD disk structure keeping only the main movie / AC3 / DTS stream so that I can watch off the PC hard drive without having to load the originals. This can save ~50% space (who cares about watching extras again) and keep the full HD resolution (you need PDVD < 3516 to watch movie file from hdd).

Last edited:
Same here for BD - wanted a dvd for the kids room (they don't have HD lol) and a portable copy for their media player. I'm certainly not going to pay another $20 when I already paid $35 for the BD version.

I bought ConvertXtoDVD 3.0 from VSO - you can open the movie file (.m2ts - it will be the biggest one in the stream folder) and create a dvd directly from that (obviously you want to do that from a rip or ISO mount - it takes longer directly from the disk). Cost $30 with the spring08 coupon code - well worth it. It creates a complete dvd structure so if you want to create a portable file, you can just open that in CloneDvdMobile. I have used it succesfully on BD+ also after AnyDvd HD magic removal :D

BTW Super (the C is a copyright symbol) is a video converter GUI which can handle almost any file format - but it will NOT handle .m2ts BD files (pops up a warning that HDTV format is not allowed - see website). It was the first thing I tried before I found ConvertXtoDVD 3.

I understand there are some BD titles that are insanely interleaved that have to be put into one .m2ts file with TSMuxer (some Disney/Fox titles?) but I haven't come across one yet. The only Disney BD I have done this with is Bridge to Terabithia and that had the normal structure (biggest .m2ts was the complete movie).

I have a Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.7GHz with 2MB PC-6400 @ 800MHz on an XFX 680i LT M/B and I can process a complete BD movie at up to 1.6x (so a 1.6 hour movie is done in 1 hour) - I burn to Verbatim 8x DL (made in Singapore - I snagged 100 at 75cents each :D in a Best Buy sale) so I use DVD-9 setting and get maximum DVD spec bitrate ~9Mbps and can select audio and subtitles (presentation graphics) that I want (I just keep the AC3 stream). Obviously the portable file is much quicker - ~25 minutes from the resulting dvd.

I don't think there is a BD -> portable solution - but I prefer this one as I get a proper dvd for the kids room player as well. Kills two birds with one stone, so to speak!

http://www.vso-software.fr/support.php - if you use the trial be warned that the output dvd will have a huge "watermark" every 5 seconds.

This software is my best investment as far as making BD useable (outside my BD drive) since AnyDvd HD and completes the set, so to speak (I own all the other Elby/Slysoft products as well).

Next step for me is to try the HD-DVD "shrink" method in the Sticky Threads to do the same thing - especially as the HD-DVD disks are now available for less than $10 at amazon.com :)

I also intend to convert all my BD with TSRemux to make a BD disk structure keeping only the main movie / AC3 / DTS stream so that I can watch off the PC hard drive without having to load the originals. This can save ~50% space (who cares about watching extras again) and keep the full HD resolution (you need PDVD < 3516 to watch movie file from hdd).

Thanks for the GREAT information, but let me get this straight:

BD -> .iso (using AnyDVD HD)
THEN take the .iso -> DVD using ConvertXtoDVD
THEN rip to .avi using CloneDVDMobile
Right?

Also, I can watch the .iso originally created using AnyDVD HD, hit it with TSRemux and I can watch it straight off the HDD using PDVD <3516
Right?

BTW, coupon code spring08 doesn't work.

Oh, and do these BD files (.iso's -> TSRemux) play via Media Center using PDVD <3516? Does PDVD integrate directly into Media Center? One more thing - can you stream these files around the house using a Media Center Extender (like the 360)?

Thanks for the GREAT information, but let me get this straight:

1.BD -> .iso (using AnyDVD HD)
2.THEN take the .iso -> DVD using ConvertXtoDVD
3.THEN rip to .avi using CloneDVDMobile
Right?
Yes, although I use CloneCD to create an ISO (with AnyDvd HD running). Otherwise you can "rip to harddisk" with AnyDvd HD and select the .m2ts from the stream folder. I prefer to have the ISO (which can be created with other tools, but I own CloneCd anyway - but even the trial bersion works for creating ISO's as the read function never expires according to James). Step 1a would be to mount the ISO on a virtual drive (see below). You can burn a dvd after the second step, obviously. Third step is for portable device.

Also, I can watch the .iso originally created using AnyDVD HD, hit it with TSRemux and I can watch it straight off the HDD using PDVD <3516
Right?
Yes, but the TSRemux is only necessary if you just want to keep the movie stream - you can mount the ISO and watch it (with extras) with any PDVD version (VirtualCloneDive beta - see forum - can now mount BD ISO's if you don't already have DaemonTools, etc.)

BTW, coupon code spring08 doesn't work.
spring08 coupon
http://www.vso-software.fr/shop.php?coupon=spring08
discount is 20% if you enter that in the coupon code area (pre-entered if you use paypal). Price was 39.99 (my bad - I put 30)

Oh, and do these BD files (.iso's -> TSRemux) play via Media Center using PDVD <3516? Does PDVD integrate directly into Media Center? One more thing - can you stream these files around the house using a Media Center Extender (like the 360)?
Sorry, I don't use MC, but there are other threads about that - I think that is how others do it. I choose BluRay structure option in TSRemux and that requires PDVD < 3516 to enable opening movie files from hard drive (disabled in later versions) for streaming, etc. If disk space is not a problem just automount the ISO and stream from that (several other threads deal with having two different versions of PDVD which you can switch between if you have to access movie files from hdd as well).

Last edited:
Uh, just a quick question, isn't ripping a hidef source to a more-than-low-def portable format rather redundant ?

Why would you start with such a high quality source. Heck, rent the normal DVD from blockbuster and run it through DVD2AVI or something .....

Just a thought .....

Cheers

BC55 ;)

btw, what is superc?

technically it is super © ,,,

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

it's a freebie converter....it looks as if it can deal with .m2t files, or you can transcode to .ts

Uh, just a quick question, isn't ripping a hidef source to a more-than-low-def portable format rather redundant ?

Why would you start with such a high quality source. Heck, rent the normal DVD from blockbuster and run it through DVD2AVI or something .....

Just a thought .....

Cheers

BC55 ;)

I certainly thought of that, but if I'm buying it on BD, I'd prefer not to rent it from my local store. If the software I already own can get me there (now that BD+ is history) - or with a small additional purchase, like say $50 or so - I feel like that would be more cost effective in the long term than multiple $4 rental fees.

Maybe DRM will help us out and provide a digital copy on disc so that we can avoid all of this hassle. Heck, it wouldn't be any harm for them to do so with a low resolution copy that would work fine on a PSP, iPhone, Archos or other portable device. We would still pay for the HD copy - just play nice and throw in the portable file.

Maybe DRM will help us out and provide a digital copy on disc so that we can avoid all of this hassle. Heck, it wouldn't be any harm for them to do so with a low resolution copy that would work fine on a PSP, iPhone, Archos or other portable device. We would still pay for the HD copy - just play nice and throw in the portable file.

I know it doesn't help you at the moment but I believe that is the plan for Sony Blu-Ray's coming out in the future. They supposedly going to include other versions on the disk to be played on portable systems.

I know it doesn't help you at the moment but I believe that is the plan for Sony Blu-Ray's coming out in the future. They supposedly going to include other versions on the disk to be played on portable systems.

I hope they don't make it PSP only -which is what I heard. It would be nice if they'd throw in a low res version that is more versatile than PSP only.....although I'd bet there will be a SlySoft solution that will take care of any issues of conversion. It would be nice if it just worked straight off the disc.

I hope they don't make it PSP only -which is what I heard. It would be nice if they'd throw in a low res version that is more versatile than PSP only.....although I'd bet there will be a SlySoft solution that will take care of any issues of conversion. It would be nice if it just worked straight off the disc.

Hitman includes a "Portable Digital Copy" with a magic serial number on the second disc. It purports to work with iPod, iPhone, computer and other portable media players ("Plays for sure" branded).

It says it is not compatible with PSP or Zune.

On this disc there are two branches in a simple interface:

If your want it in iTunes, it takes you to the Apple store where the magic code serves as a redemption code for a download from Apple (not from the disc).

Update:
The iTunes download is going much faster than my net connection. In fact there is essentially no traffic during the 1GB 'download'. It appears to come from the disc, like the WMV but with iTunes authentication and DRM. mmmm, good.

When you choose WMV/Plays for Sure, the copy is transferred from the included disc and the whole operation seems to be local (but might not be).

It appears that you can do both with the same code. At least it seems to be working that way for me.

This is a Fox bluray, not a Sony pictures one, of course. It is likely that each studio will decide how or if they will release a portable version.

Last edited:

Just a thought .....

Cheers

BC55 ;)
That was explained by the OP. Also, you should remember the Forum rules do not allow discussion of copying rental disks. :policeman:

Last edited:
Back