• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is one better then the other +R or -R

JOSHANDCARI

I am getting ready to buy a new set of DVDs and did not know which was better or what the difference is.

I did search for this topic and didnt pull anything up so I hope this isnt a repeat.

Thanks

I only use +R due to the capacity of the booktype to be changed to "dvd-rom".

Otherwise, I don't feel it makes much of a difference.

Here's what you should be using:

CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro (Taiyo Yudens with a protective coating), Verbatim Datalife Plus, and Taiyo Yuden
DVD±Rs = Maxell Broadcast Quality Series 8x (not regular junk Maxells you find everywhere . . . I'm not sure if these are being made anymore), Verbatim Datalife Plus (avoid Ritek made Verbatims; these might be fakes), and Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline, not Trublu) 8x
DVD+R DLs = Verbatim made in Singapore (preferably not India) and MAM-A 8x

These have a special anti-scratch coating:

1. Taiyo Yuden (That's) Triple Guard (sometimes called "Triple Coated" in the U.K.)

Good luck finding these in North America (someone may be able to special order them for you). They are sold in Japan.

2. Maxell Broadcast Quality -- very expensive and not easy to find (I'm not even sure if Maxell Japan still makes them)
Maxell (X-Treme) Protek also has an anti-scratch coating

3. Verbatim Videguard -- not cheap either, but you can find them at Amazon

4. Century Disc Archival Gold

5. It's possible that Mori Media in Japan also produces something with an anti-scratch coating, but I'm not overly familiar with Mori media (but Mori is another premium brand)

This stuff with anti-scratch coating may run anywhere from $2.80-$7 per blank

Ive been using premium line ty dvd-r for years without any problems! For me I have found the -r to be more compatible with standalone dvd players then the +r. Here is where I get my ty -r.
Code:
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media.html

Ive been using premium line ty dvd-r for years without any problems! For me I have found the -r to be more compatible with standalone dvd players then the +r. Here is where I get my ty -r.
Code:

While in theory, I agree that a DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM outta be the most compatable. My personal anecdotal experience is also in favor of DVD-R.

-W

It makes no difference, provided you've change booktype properly before burning

Perhaps that's the difference in the anecdotal evidence trail.
DVD+R's require a "consious step" to gain that (slight?) compatability advantage over the native DVDD-R that you do nothing at all to. In other words DVD-R's are more "idiot proof" by nature.

-W

My stockpile of DVD and Blu-ray blank disks does NOT even include any -minus type blank disks anymore.

Some reasons why:

1. Older players that require -minus type disks can play +plus type disks build as BD-ROM or DVD-ROM.

2. Faster burn speeds on +plus type blank media (just ask Imgburn)

3. BD-ROM and DVD-ROM can only be build on +plus type media.

:agree:

+ type blank media is the future

DVD+R's require a "consious step" to gain that (slight?) compatability advantage over the native DVDD-R that you do nothing at all to. In other words DVD-R's are more "idiot proof" by nature.

-W

There is no extra "step" to perform on most newer DVDRW's. Some change book type automatically and some have software to apply that will make the change automatic.
Personally, I prefer +R.

There is no extra "step" to perform on most newer DVDRW's.

Pioneer (with the exception of +R DL) and Samsung require firmware hacks unless you want to do the extra step (off the top of my head). In fact, Pioneer drives don't support bitsetting of +R without firmware hacks.

Last edited:
Code:

I just checked NewEgg.com's prices on the Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal 8x DVD-Rs and it looks like you can get them for .24-cents/disc with free shipping.

Here is the site"

I just checked NewEgg.com's prices on the Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal 8x DVD-Rs and it looks like you can get them for .24-cents/disc with free shipping.

Here is the site"

Those are the Valueline discs for $24.99. They aren't the same as TY Premium.

Back