• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is my DVD/BD-drive not locked to a specific region?

Don McCracken

If I insert a region 1 DVD, Windows 10 reports that the drive is currently set to region 1. But if I insert a region 2 DVD, Windows 10 says that the drive is set to region 2. AnyDVD HD, however, always reports the drive hardware as being region 1. Does this mean that my DVD/BD drive is not locked to a specific region and that it switches automatically between regions as needed (But Windows says 4 changes remaining)?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently ripping region 2 DVDs, and I had about 5 that showed the following error message:

"WARNING: AnyDVD is unable to crack all CSS Keys on this disc!
AnyDVD will guess the correct CSS Key, but it is possible, that one or more titles on this disc will not play correctly, You can check the AnyDVD CSS key archive from the AnyDVD settings window. To avoid this message in the future, you should set your drive region code to match the region of this disc."

So I thought this was because the drive region was 1 and disc was 2, but apparently not?

For AnyDVD HD to work best, is it important that the drive is set to the same region as the disc?

Thanks!

I think you are confused. Open "Control panel"," Device manager","DVD/CD-Rom drives" and set a region. 1 or 2 but AnyDVD wants to have it set to either one. After being set AnyDVD takes care of the region no matter which you choose. Reboot after you have set it.
Forgot... First you need to exit AnyDVD. Otherwise the change will not work.

AnyDVD HD, however, always reports the drive hardware as being region 1.
Close AnyDVD and check your drives settings. Is the region still set? If yes, create logs from the discs that show the error, because in that case AnyDVD should take care, as said by Coop.
If not (0 not set), than set it.
But if AnyDVD already shows it as set, it should be set.

Ah, thanks. I get it now. The DVD/BD drive is set to region 1, but once AnyDVD is running, and a region 2 disc is loaded, then Windows 10 reports the drive is set to region 2 (under Properties/hardware/properties/DVD Region). So I guess it's just AnyDVD doing its magic! :)

Now that this is out of the way, as I'm currently ripping my region 2 DVDs, and have received a few "AnyDVD is unable to crack all CSS Keys on this disc!" errors, is it best practice to change the drive region to 2 and then re-rip the region 2 DVDs in order to increase the likelihood of the rips being error-free? Or can the drive region be set to 1 and AnyDVD is still able to rip region 2 DVDs without any issues? When I play the VOB-files in VLC from the ripped DVDs that showed the error, they seemed to play fine.

When I play the VOB-files in VLC from the ripped DVDs that showed the error, they seemed to play fine.
Don't rip! Insert the disc with AnyDVD running and *play* it. If you don't see any problems, you're good.

Now that this is out of the way, as I'm currently ripping my region 2 DVDs, and have received a few "AnyDVD is unable to crack all CSS Keys on this disc!" errors, is it best practice to change the drive region to 2 and then re-rip the region 2 DVDs in order to increase the likelihood of the rips being error-free?
These are warnings, not errors. If you want "movie only" copies (converting to mkv...? Using CloneDVD? You didn't say what you want to do) you won't see any problem. The problems are usually in very short titles which are so short, that a brute force attack is not possible. Some still picture, some very short extra. Sometimes some part of the disc, which is never played.

These are warnings, not errors. If you want "movie only" copies (converting to mkv...? Using CloneDVD? You didn't say what you want to do) you won't see any problem. The problems are usually in very short titles which are so short, that a brute force attack is not possible. Some still picture, some very short extra. Sometimes some part of the disc, which is never played.
I'm moving, so I'm getting rid of all my DVDs. But before I do, I'm ripping them for archive purposes. I want to be able to watch the full DVD structure in the future as well as convert the main title to mkv via handbrake, should I want to. Do you think I should re-rip my region 2 DVDs while the drive is set to region 2, or am I good now with the region 2 rips that were made when my drive was set to region 1?

I'm moving, so I'm getting rid of all my DVDs. But before I do, I'm ripping them for archive purposes. I want to be able to watch the full DVD structure in the future as well as convert the main title to mkv via handbrake, should I want to. Do you think I should re-rip my region 2 DVDs while the drive is set to region 2, or am I good now with the region 2 rips that were made when my drive was set to region 1?
I think it is best if you just create a log of one of these discs for James to check.
But the original disc of course, not the copy.

Just out of interest: What are you gonna do with the discs when you say "get rid? Sell them?
Sad to hear, I haven't that many so I could always carry them and I would never get rid of them, even though I could just grab my harddrives and have them along with 10 times as much content lol.

If you have the time, re-rip those which showed the warning. Just to be safe.

What are you gonna do with the discs when you say "get rid? Sell them?
I was just going to give them away. So if you want them, and it's logistically possible, you can have them. I'm guessing it's around 180 or so DVDs, of which 50 are region 2 Swedish comedy series (and some British), then some music/concerts, and the rest is region 1 movies (of which some mat be collectors items). I'm in Los Angeles, CA. If that works, I can take a picture if you want to see what I've got.

Last edited:
and it's logistically possible
It is a great offer and I would take them, but I live in germany. So I imagine the shipping quite high.
There are many users from the US though, maybe you can find someone else who is maybe even looking for something certain.

Back