• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is it possible to make a 1:1 backup of Blu-Ray or HD-DVD ??

Tummy Tuckler

Forgive me, I am pretty new to DVDs in High Definition, so I didn't see this in a FAQ or anything. If I did and missed it, please point me to it and accept my apologies.

I'm basically assuming that you can create a disc image of a Blu-Ray DVD using AnyDVD HD plus Nero or Img-Burn or something else, then burn that image to a blank Blu-Ray disc to create a 1:1 backup. Am I correct about that?

I'm also assuming that you can create a disc image of a HD-DVD using AnyDVD and Nero or Img-Burn or something else... but there currently are no consumer burners or blanks available for HD-DVD. So does that mean you can't create a working 1:1 backup of the HD-DVD disc image? Or is it possible to burn the HD-DVD disc image to a blank Blu-Ray disc?

Yes I know Blu-Ray blanks are expensive right now (and so are the burners) so it probably just makes more sense at this point to buy two copies of the original if you want a backup... but that will change. Plus, I want to learn. :)

Forgive me, I am pretty new to DVDs in High Definition, so I didn't see this in a FAQ or anything. If I did and missed it, please point me to it and accept my apologies.

I'm basically assuming that you can create a disc image of a Blu-Ray DVD using AnyDVD HD plus Nero or Img-Burn or something else, then burn that image to a blank Blu-Ray disc to create a 1:1 backup. Am I correct about that?

I'm also assuming that you can create a disc image of a HD-DVD using AnyDVD and Nero or Img-Burn or something else... but there currently are no consumer burners or blanks available for HD-DVD. So does that mean you can't create a working 1:1 backup of the HD-DVD disc image? Or is it possible to burn the HD-DVD disc image to a blank Blu-Ray disc?

Yes I know Blu-Ray blanks are expensive right now (and so are the burners) so it probably just makes more sense at this point to buy two copies of the original if you want a backup... but that will change. Plus, I want to learn. :)

It is very simple to make an exact copy of a blu ray disc using software such as nero. Simply select "copy blu ray disc" with nero (of course anydvd hd must be active) and then nero will create an image an then it will pop open the blu ray drive and you insert a blank blu ray disc-that's it. Now, the problem is with the size of the contents. As you said, most blank blu ray discs are expensive- $10.99 plus shipping at newegg for a 25gb disc, and don't even worry about 50gb discs, they are more expensive than the retail movie. there is a method described here on the forums that tells you how to delete unwanted stuff and scale down a retail movie disc so it will fit on a 25gb blank bd-r, but of course the movie file/files need to be less than about 23gb to fit on the blank disc. A 25gb disc is really only about 23gb.

As for HD DVD, at this time I don't know of any options since burners aren't available (there may be a laptop model out now), and I have a feeling they may never become available on a desktop due to blu ray's much higher data capabilities.

So you can't burn a HD-DVD ISO to Blu-Ray?

(I'm new to high def dvds as well)

you should be able to burn the data fine, i dont know about a hddvd iso to bluray though. youd probably just have to copy the data off one to the other.

you can not just create an iso from one format and create a disc for the other. Both HD formats are encoded differently, hence the two formats. They would need to be converted first, i have not found how to do that yet at this point.

you could probably copy the files from one to the other though. because anydvd removes copy protection there shouldnt be any kind of extra data besides the files stored in the iso, so you should only have to copy those to get the movie from one to the other format.

they are encoded differently. just copying wont work. BR is typically mpeg2 and HD DVD are mpeg4 or VC-1. if they werent you could play a HD DVD disc in a BR player.

That makes sense... so it may be possible but it wouldn't be a 1:1 copy... you'd have to decrypt and decode then reencode back to mpeg2, then reauthor the disc.

Well anyways it looks like HD-DVD is losing the war anyways... :p

It is possible to convert the movie on a HD-DVD to Blu-ray, you need to demux the video and audio streams, then extract the core ac3 or DTS from the audio stream, then use scenarist to remux the video and audio then use TSremux to create a basic blu-ray disc with chapters.

As to to making a 1 to 1 on Blu-ray it is possible, you need to decrypt the film onto your hard drive then use Nero to write it back to blu-ray. I have done this with many of my films using re-writables. It is also technically possible to do it on HD-dvd but I havn't got my hands on a writer yet so havn't been able to try it

yes it can be done that way. finding a good way to convert them is the problem. not cheap and quite annoying and time consuming.

Back