• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question Is it possible to display bitrate alongside resolution?

kuhila19th

The subject says it all. The reason I am asking is that occasionally there are older movies which are offered in 1920x1080p on Amazon, but when I start downloading it looks as if a single movie might take up around 10Gb, which doesn't make sense. So I switch to a lower resolution, usually 1280x720p. If something older has a really high bit rate, it would be good to just download the slightly lower resolution version upfront.

The bitrate is already there, or do you mean the filesize? I would say filesize would be more useful than bitrate.

bitrate is displayed on the second download window. 10mbps for AVC CBR 1080p, 15mbps for AVC CVBR 1080p on AP, for example. i dont do 720p for movies, only for TV shows with gajillion episodes (smallville for example). i lately opt for 720p AVC CBR and am ignoring HEVC completely. for movies, i do whatever was last selected, 1080 AVC CBR or CVBR, dont matter. and yes, older movies will eat up to 13gb, unless its 4hrs long, for 1080p AVC. it is what it is. i used to worry about saving precious HDD space but after witnessing 720p downloads from two years ago and then HEVC with low bitrates i said f it, 1080 AVC CBR for all series unless they have gajillion episodes, then i drop to 720p and for movies only 1080p AVC CBR/CVBR. cant have decent quality and save space. maybe if, e.g. AP bumped their HEVC bitrates so its not 50% of space saving but rather 30% of space saving id reconsider, but as i sad it is what it is.

IF you must do 720p for movies i recommend AVC CBR. OR try both AVC CBR and AVC CVBR and see what looks better. if you are watching on a 43'' TV wont matter much, i used to also and everything looked noice. but now im on 65'' and yeah... what looked good, now aint. either way, you have 500 tokens so experiment and see what looks better to you. cheers.

The bitrate on Netflix is accurate but on Amz I don't think we could know, we only see the maximum bitrate possible and not the average bitrate of the file. I'm not sure it was provided by Amz.

The bitrate on Netflix is accurate but on Amz I don't think we could know, we only see the maximum bitrate possible and not the average bitrate of the file. I'm not sure it was provided by Amz.
could be, but ive seen lower HEVC resolutions being like 3.45mbps, meaning not rounded. tbh i dont know if that means its accurate, lol.

From my understanding, AnyStream just reports the bitrate that is listed in the manifest. Amazon 15mb for example:

<Representation aspectRatio="16:9" bandwidth="15000000" codecPrivateData="0000000167640028ACC8501E0089F97016A020202800001F480005DC0478C18CB00000000168E93823CB" codecs="avc1.640028" frameRate="24000/1001" height="1080" id="video=15000000" sar="1:1" scanType="progressive" width="1920">

I guess Amazon is just a bit more lenient with their numbers than Netflix.

Interesting, so I think it's possible for the other topic with the "24fps thing" to see the framerate before downloading.

Interesting, so I think it's possible for the other topic with the "24fps thing" to see the framerate before downloading.

I believe so, I checked the manifest for a "24fps" movie:

<Representation aspectRatio="37:20" bandwidth="15000000" codecPrivateData="0000000167640028ACC8501E0083BFF01E101E06A02020280000030008000003018478C18CB00000000168E93823CB" codecs="avc1.640028" frameRate="24" height="1040" id="video=15000000" sar="481:480" scanType="progressive" width="1920">

Amazon is so weird because those bitrate labels used to be accurate but they went through an exercise of re-encoding everything in a more efficient manner but kept the generic bitrate labels. So, in essence, it's more like a High/Medium/Low bitrate and not the real bitrates.

Because you can get the approximate file size in advance, the devs could implement a calculation that would approximate the bitrate based on the codecs used.

I would welcome such a change but i know a lot of people here are against features they deem unimportant but something that isn't important to some may be important to others. I for one do not always get the highest bitrate as they are sometimes overkill for the type of content (10 mbps HEVC bitrate for Love Island? really?).

With the re-encodes, it's a lot better but still see some headscratchers once in a while.

Amazon is so weird because those bitrate labels used to be accurate but they went through an exercise of re-encoding everything in a more efficient manner but kept the generic bitrate labels. So, in essence, it's more like a High/Medium/Low bitrate and not the real bitrates.

Because you can get the approximate file size in advance, the devs could implement a calculation that would approximate the bitrate based on the codecs used.
Then it's an Amazon problem. I thought that the manifest might report correct bitrates as they do for resolutions, but I guess not.

It's really no big deal, as a work around when I see something I suspect might be too big, e.g. any title released before 2010, and I want to try to get a 1080p, I download a sample, usually around 10%, and if its around 100Mb per 1 %, I abort and go for the 720p version instead.

Then it's an Amazon problem. I thought that the manifest might report correct bitrates as they do for resolutions, but I guess not.

It's really no big deal, as a work around when I see something I suspect might be too big, e.g. any title released before 2010, and I want to try to get a 1080p, I download a sample, usually around 10%, and if its around 100Mb per 1 %, I abort and go for the 720p version instead.
I think it's something that can be done, maybe the info is somewhere else because I saw recently that there are several bitrates per resolution and you can know the final size before downloading.

Back