• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is CloneCD What I Need?

J-Mac

Hello all.

Long time CloneDVD and AnyDVD user. (Actually just over 4 years!) I have been using Nero Ultra for the last few years mostly for the music features -- ripping CD's, burning new mixes, editing and/or converting sound tracks, etc. All the other crap (Sorry if that upsets anyone, but much of the rest is just that), like the label maker, video player, etc. I never even opened. And the photo program, well, that is far from Nero's core business and IMO they should have kept away from that!

Anyway, I have always used CloneDVD and AnyDVD to backup movies. I reinstalled Windows XP Pro on my PC a few weeks ago. No major problems; just that I install and remove a lot of software and after a year and a half the registry is too full of miscellaneous leftover stuff to function very well. I do use jv16 Powertools 2007 to try and keep the registry clean, but it still gets to the point eventually where the OS is all played out.

I've reinstalled most of my usual software - the stuff I use most frequently - but I have not installed Nero yet. I wanted to install it this time with only the parts that I commonly use, and keep the rest off my machine. In particular I wanted to prevent Nero Scout from installing at all. Most probably are familiar with the problems it poses: It automatically steals all file associations that it wants, sets up a few services that index all the media files on the PC, and can at times use 90 - 95% of CPU resources indexing. And other than shutting down the service, you cannot stop it, or even set up a schedule for indexing.

You can deselect all the stuff you do not want when you install Nero Ultra 7, but Scout still installs - there is no way to stop it, other than editing the .MSI installer package file, which can play hell if you make any error at all. Plus, once you allow it to install, it fills the registry with keys that make it the default app for a lot of associations. Even if you change them the registry entry is still there, and changing the application and icon is often mysteriously reversed later. Very frustrating program. So it turns out I am not even going to bother trying this time. I have an application that can burn CDs, but I want a good and fast one.

When i initially purchased CloneDVD and AnyDVD in Feb 2004, CloneCD was off the market. Elby couldn't sell it anymore due to legal pressures, as I understand it, and Slysoft had not yet picked it up. Hence Nero entered the picture. Now that Slysoft has revived CloneCD and from what I hear, improved it quite a bit, I am considering purchasing it. However I cannot find much info at all on the site. The product page has a paragraph and a list of highlights, but those are kind of broadbrush. Is there a manual, or a more detailed description and/or specs I can review before buying it? A manual perhaps?

Also, maybe someone here can recommend some applications to replace the Nero apps that I did like and use, like the Wave Editor and Drive Info/Speed Tool. I would surely appreciate it!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jim

Clonecd simply makes 1:1 backups of cds and dvds. It's not a remastering or a reauthoring program. You're not going to be able to replace Nero with Clonecd.

Why not try the free 21 day trial?

I use Clonecd to make my dvd movie backups with Verbatim +R DL blank media. I never use Clonedvd with double layer blank media. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

Thanks! Webslinger.

I didn't think that CloneCD could do all that -- that's why I asked for recommendations for that. I can use Audacity to edit/convert my music tracks.I actually forgot all about Audacity. I had used it for recording but not editing. I just tried it; works pretty good.

I guess the main thing I would need from CloneCD is ripping and burning. For movies I figured I was all set with CloneDVD, as I have been doing for years. Any advantage to using CloneCD over CloneDVD? Other than the fact that CloneDVD cannot handle music files of course. But since I already use CloneDVD for movies, is there any reason to use CloneCD instead?

I am considering CloneCD strictly for music files, unless you give me a reason otherwise.

How about some more info as to what CloneCD can do? I still don't see much info on the website about it.

Thanks!

Jim

Any advantage to using CloneCD over CloneDVD?

With Clonecd the size of the original disc must equal the size of your blank.

When using +R DL blank media, Clonecd preserves the original layer break position. Clonedvd will not. Clonecd also backups PC files that may appear as bonus features on the original disc (wallpapers, screensavers, etc.). Clonedvd only backs up video files.

Clonecd only rips image files (the entire disc). Clonecd will not rip individual audio tracks. Use Exactaudiocopy (www.exactaudiocopy.de) if you want that functionality.

Web...just a follow up question since you mentioned CloneCD and DL burns.

Does CloneCD (used for 1:1 backups) have any of the same issues that CloneDVD2 (updates for protection schemes or specific movie problems) has?

I own both programs but try and use CloneCD for the majority of my backups but have run into problems backing up (1:1) movies like Ratatouille in the past. I don't see CloneCD updated as often so thought it might not be an issue.

Thanks for your time and support in these forums.

As a registered owner (and long time user) of Nero, I feel very similar to you, on your feelings of Nero.

The only remaining tools that I actually use in Nero, are Nero Showtime, and when converting MP3's into Audio CD's.

And I know that there are many other programs that can do the above tasks, but, I am a registered owner of the program, and these tools work well, so why not use them.

My "suite" of software that I use now is:
AnyDVD
CloneDVD2
CloneCD
ImgBurn
DVD-RB-Pro
Exact Audio Copy (EAC)
LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98 beta 6
WinAmp 5.52
VirutalCloneDrive

I am really happy with this "suite" of software!

Have you seen this about Nero? I found a few posts about how to get rid of some of the nero BLOAT. Below are "cut and pastes" of what I found.
=============================
How do I get rid of Nero Scout?
The first thing to do is to disable Nero Scout via its own interface. To do so, double-click on the My Computer icon. Right-click on the Nero Scout icon and choose Options. Then uncheck the option for Enable Nero Scout.

Reboot your PC and see if you are still experiencing problems. If you are, and you are running Nero 7, you can also perform the following actions:

Click on the Start button and choose Run. Type the following line exactly as it appears:

regsvr32 /u "%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"

Then click OK and reboot your PC.

We hope that future versions of Nero will make it easier to disable system resource hogs like this program. Otherwise, Ahead Software will start to see their loyal fan base disappear.

-----------------------------------
I found this somewheres a while back.

From Start > Run, enter (or copy and paste) the following line:
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"
The above uninstalls/removes Nero Scout

From Start > Run, enter (or copy and paste) the following line:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"
The above re-installs Nero Scout
==================================
Status: offline Odd... I just reloaded from scratch, and... hmm... that darn process no longer stays gone.

Oh well... here's another way to skin that cat:

Fire up REGEDIT

Search for, and remove, all occurances of NMBGMONITOR, and NMINDEXSVS, and NMINDEXINGSERVICE.

There will be some occurances that it won't let you remove, and that's OK.

Also, if the "target" entry is in the "right-hand" side of REGEDIT, then make sure that you "tab" to the left-hand side, and IF the item is contained in an item that starts with a "{", then remove that whole item.

Works for me. Yeah, I know... using REGEDIT is a dangerous game, but...

I just did it, and I re-tested, and... none of the little varmints re-appeared.

PS: these "varmints" are elements of the Nero Media services (whatever that is). And, to be quite blunt... I don't really care.

PPS: with Scout "disabled"/"removed" these "varmints" are "launched" whenever you use Nero Showtime... ain't that clever? The good news is that they all go away, shortly thereafter, except... yup, you guessed it...

Sigh...

PPS: This MIGHT screw something else up, but... that's easy enough to fix. Just de-install NERO and then re-install it... and put up with the "crap-ware".

Nite-nite!
=================================================
Status: offline I just noticed a typo: That should be NMINDEXSTORESVC, rather than NMINDEXSVS...

3:00am is not always my best time... <grin>

=================================================
Ar-r-r-rgh!!!! NMINDEXSTORESVR, not NMINDEXSTORESVC!!!

Hey Budd.

I missed this post; must've missed an email notification and then didn’t get anymore. Sorry about that!

I just reinstalled Windows XP Pro on my desktop and haven't installed Nero. Also, I recently got a new notebook and I also left Nero off of that. I have seen some of the tweaks and hacks to remove (or actually, disable) undesirable parts of Nero, but I don’t even want them installed in the first place. I would have to find a way to not install these portions of Nero in the first place. I really hate to let Nero completely clutter up my hard drive and registry, and then try to mitigate the "damage" as much as possible. I don’t want them on my machine at all! Just the "stealing" of file associations alone is enough to make you sick. Even if you deselect all the file associations while installing, Nero goes ahead and changes the registry keys in the "Classes" registry branch. Take a quick look at your registry and you'll see what I mean. It basically hard codes all media files to play in the Nero player. It's hard to even get the Nero icons off of the media files. And whenever you do certain things in Nero it will find and start the NMIndex Windows service, even if you have it disabled in permissions! I don’t know how it accomplishes that - I've never seen that occur in Windows with any other apps (except some Microsoft programs).

So I guess I'm going to do without Nero altogether until things change.

Thanks!

Jim

Back