• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is BD better than DVD from video?

lfp2

I have copied a couple hundred hours of DVD made from Videotape but wonder if there would be a visible difference if I transferred those tapes to BD Heck of a time to think of this but this is my life and would redo it if it is substanitally better. What happened several years ago I copied the videotapes onto DVD. Now that BD is available I wonder if it would be much better to do the videotapes onto BD. If you have had any actual experience please let me know what you think. I think it would be better but do not want to invest in the disks and recorder if it isn't much better. Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
Doyal

I would think not. The only advantage would be more storage space. Now if you could recapture these programs from a HD or DVD source but if they are home movies or something your DVDs are about as good as it get.

I would highly doubt it. What you are doing is taking stuff that was caught on video and putting it onto a DVD. You could do the same thing and put it on a BD-R, but the result would not change. With that being said there may be some equipment you could buy to make a transfer to high def, but this would most likely be really expensive. Kind of like what the studios do with movies. They make a transfer from film to video, but in your case your transferring something already in video format (from a VHS tape I assume) and trying to convert it to another video format such as Blu-ray. I don't have the best knowledge when it comes to this stuff so maybe someone else can help you further. Perhaps there is a way you could get better results.

You lose when you copy something.

We all know you lose something when you copy something. My question was do you lose as much with BD as when you copy to DVD. I don't want to go out and buy a BD recorder to find out but was hoping I might find someone who had actually transferred videotape to BD and DVD to compare. I have much tape dating back to the invention of Tape and transfer of film for 60 years or so and if there is some improvement it might be worth giving it a try. We all know there is a big difference transferring by SVHS or by standard method. So I could see where there might be a difference transferring by BD. I forget now what there definition is for standard VHS around 300 lines or less even and SVHS possible 350. It is still a long way from525 lines. I doubt it would gain much but what the heck it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Have a nice day.

If you did not reduce the resolution of the original video when you transfered to DVD then you will gain nothing by going to BD. Well you can fit more on a disk. If you are wanting to increase the resolution of the original to 1080P by interpolating it I would say don't. Just play your DVD's in a player that does it for you during playback.

We all know you lose something when you copy something. My question was do you lose as much with BD as when you copy to DVD. I don't want to go out and buy a BD recorder to find out but was hoping I might find someone who had actually transferred videotape to BD and DVD to compare. I have much tape dating back to the invention of Tape and transfer of film for 60 years or so and if there is some improvement it might be worth giving it a try. We all know there is a big difference transferring by SVHS or by standard method. So I could see where there might be a difference transferring by BD. I forget now what there definition is for standard VHS around 300 lines or less even and SVHS possible 350. It is still a long way from525 lines. I doubt it would gain much but what the heck it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Have a nice day.
Blu-ray disc buys you nothing whatsoever in terms of improved quality of your ancient-technology standard definition VHS videos.

The question instead is: might there be TODAY an improved method of capturing my original tape recordings over what I did x years ago.

Without knowing what you used (tape playback and DVD capture method) no one here (or anywhere else) can tell you if there's "a better way".

Back