• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Is anyone reencoding/compressing UHD with any success?

DQ

So the last few months I have been playing with many of my settings for non-uhd and uhd discs. I found that by bumping my handbrake settings for non-uhd Blu-ray I got a very noticeable quality bump. The negative of that is the files are of course significantly larger so I tend to only use the higher settings for my favorites or movies that are just pretty in general. I went from an average bitrate of 6k to 12k. 12k results in about a 20mb bitrate file causing the files to be around 15GB or so.

I tried applying some of this experience to UHD with handbrake but handbrake seems to handle UHD funny and I have read some posts out on the net stating not to use handbrake for UHD because it does not handle it properly. I did make an attempt using a 24k average bitrate and while it seemed to have worked (quality seemed to be OK) but it was taking forever as in the time to encode was basically just not changing even though I was running it through my GPU.

So to this point for UHD I have been using CloneBD to copy over to MKV lossless. I figure I am after the quality so why spend a ton of time trying to compress it only to lose quality. But the storage needs are eating me up left and right.

So my question is, is anyone successfully reencoding UHD and saving space but keeping the quality? Right now it seems the time needed to do it and the little space I would save (keeping the quality loss in mind) is not worth it. But that's just from what I know now so I am trying to learn more.

Thanks.

So the last few months I have been playing with many of my settings for non-uhd and uhd discs. I found that by bumping my handbrake settings for non-uhd Blu-ray I got a very noticeable quality bump. The negative of that is the files are of course significantly larger so I tend to only use the higher settings for my favorites or movies that are just pretty in general. I went from an average bitrate of 6k to 12k. 12k results in about a 20mb bitrate file causing the files to be around 15GB or so.

I tried applying some of this experience to UHD with handbrake but handbrake seems to handle UHD funny and I have read some posts out on the net stating not to use handbrake for UHD because it does not handle it properly. I did make an attempt using a 24k average bitrate and while it seemed to have worked (quality seemed to be OK) but it was taking forever as in the time to encode was basically just not changing even though I was running it through my GPU.

So to this point for UHD I have been using CloneBD to copy over to MKV lossless. I figure I am after the quality so why spend a ton of time trying to compress it only to lose quality. But the storage needs are eating me up left and right.

So my question is, is anyone successfully reencoding UHD and saving space but keeping the quality? Right now it seems the time needed to do it and the little space I would save (keeping the quality loss in mind) is not worth it. But that's just from what I know now so I am trying to learn more.

Thanks.

You can try Rigaya VCEenc for AMD, NVEenc for Nividia and QSVenc for Intel.
However its all CLI based.

Or try Hyprid from Selur, has a GUI but might be overwhelming.

So my question is, is anyone successfully reencoding UHD and saving space but keeping the quality?
Why don't you use CloneBD to compress? It works very fast with Nvidia cards.

EDIT: I remember, you have an AMD card. This is indeed a problem at the moment. But I am confident, that this will be fixed.

Reactions: DQ

EDIT: I remember, you have an AMD card. This is indeed a problem at the moment. But I am confident, that this will be fixed.

I did actually give that a shot but in software it takes several hours, or so CloneBD said anyway.

I do indeed hope they fix the AMD thing but it's been this way a long time.

I did try to do this in handbrake and while it did result in a much smaller file it looked way different than the lossless copy. It seems handbrake cannot handle the HDR part of it if I had to guess. Not in hardware anyway it seems.

I did actually give that a shot but in software it takes several hours, or so CloneBD said anyway.

I do indeed hope they fix the AMD thing but it's been this way a long time.

I did try to do this in handbrake and while it did result in a much smaller file it looked way different than the lossless copy. It seems handbrake cannot handle the HDR part of it if I had to guess. Not in hardware anyway it seems.

It is not matter of "fixing" AMD card. AMD's VCE is probably the worst of all three which are available for consumer market. "Fixing" by means enabling VCE support does not fix the problem of VCE being... well... very bad.

Software encoding is always been for best quality. The latest Quick Sync from Intel's latest generation (non i3 11th generation, since those 11th i3 are 10th refresh) beats Nvidia in terms of quality. It is actually far more cost effective to grab some Intel i5 11th gen non-F variant CPU.

Last edited:
Back