• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Iron Man 2 & AnyDVD 6.7.0.0

CloneDVD has the best "removing stuff while keeping menus" capability. Or splitting while keeping menus capability. Or sharing video material from partly identical titles. That's a simple fact.

If used wisely, CloneDVD doesn't need to compress as much as other programs.

Absolutely true which is why I commented on it being used to rip first regardless of what else is done. :D

I've tried Iron Man 2 twice now, it seems to rip the movie just fine but when it starts to write to DVD I get a data error (cyclic redundancy check). After trying Iron Man 2 twice I moved on to Legendary...same thing...so I moved on to Marmaduke...same thing. I haven't had anything like this happen before and I've been using AnyDVD for years. I just tried Marmaduke with my anti-virus off and I still get the same cyclic redundancy check error. :bang:

Please post AnyDVD logfiles. No logfile = no help. Sorry.

Please post AnyDVD logfiles. No logfile = no help. Sorry.

Sorry I was in a hurry and forgot. I've attached them from both drives. I rip from F and burn to E. I even uninstalled AnyDVD 6.7.0.0 and went back to 6.6.6.0 and the same thing happened. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. ~cc :confused:

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.7.0.0_Info_E_MARMADUKE.zip
    57.7 KB · Views: 3
  • AnyDVD_6.7.0.0_Info_F_MARMADUKE.zip
    89.5 KB · Views: 2
This is just a guess. But if it's happening in the burn phase - I'll bet your burner is dying.

By the time it's writing to a blank disk - AnyDVD is pretty much out of the equation.

-W

This is just a guess. But if it's happening in the burn phase - I'll bet your burner is dying.

By the time it's writing to a blank disk - AnyDVD is pretty much out of the equation.

-W

I have 2 burners and I've tried them both. I just can't believe they're both going bad at the same time. But just to see what happens I will go try rippin' and burnin' on my laptop. I'll also try burning an a movie I ripped a few weeks ago on my computer just to see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks.

The best SOLO test of AnyDVD is to put a disk in the drive with AnyDVD running and try to play it with a reliable software player (like PowerDVD).

If it plays OK - then AnyDVD is not the issue - guaranteed.

-W

The best SOLO test of AnyDVD is to put a disk in the drive with AnyDVD running and try to play it with a reliable software player (like PowerDVD).

-W

Well, I'll be damned...you're right it has to be the drives because I just ripped and burned Iron Man 2 on my laptop. I'm just amazed that both drives failed at the same time. A failed drive was just something I never even thought of. :doh: Thanks for the help...it's much appreciated.

~cc

Don't blame the drives TOO fast... :)

If you're using cheap media marginal drives might not handle them. Best Buy has a sale on Verbatim this week (ends today). Grab a 50pk of those and see how your drives do.

Also... if both drives are on the same machine... a problem with your burning software settings is also quite likely.

-W

Don't blame the drives TOO fast... :)

If you're using cheap media marginal drives might not handle them. Best Buy has a sale on Verbatim this week (ends today). Grab a 50pk of those and see how your drives do.

Also... if both drives are on the same machine... a problem with your burning software settings is also quite likely.

-W

Verbatim is what I'm using. I don't skimp on my media. I don't believe it's the software settings because I burned last week without problems and no changes had been made other then the upgrade to 6.7.0.0. I do ALOT of rippin' and burnin' so I wouldn't be surprised that the drives have gone bad, I just never had them both go at the same time before. I have another desktop with 2 drives and I tried rippin' and burnin' a movie on that one this morning, everything was fine. Now I did have the movies that I ripped last week still on my computer so I tried burning those and guess what....no problem...all 6 burned without incident....very very strange. My problem is only with all movies released this week...Legendary, Iron Man 2, Marmaduke and Suck. I couldn't burn any of those.

I went ahead and ordered 2 more drives but now that I know I can burn last weeks movies still I don't think there is anything wrong with my drives. I'm going to try watching all the movies I've ripped this week off the hard drive and see if they play ok. I'm not sure of what else to do.

I really do appreciate all your input. Thank you!
~cc

Hopefully, I will be following up this message with some successful news about my IM2 rip. I've seen the different feedback here with a fresh pair of eyes, will rip to HD first using AnyDVD (6.7.0.0), and will then open up the folder with DVD Shrink in order to 're-rip' just the main movie title... It seems different ppl have had mixed results in finding exactly which title is in fact the valid main movie (with proper audio, etc)... so I'll try playing back the files from the HD in a media player first (media player classic) to see if I can eyeball whatever title seems to be the correct one before re-ripping just the main movie with DVD Shrink.

I expect most people continue to use 'other' (older) tools like DVD Shrink just because of familiarity and a particular level of historical success with using "what they know". With that said, I think it gets peoples hackles up to see statements like "there's no problem with xx tool" when using the tool doesn't yield the same results in the same manner as they've seen for a long time with other discs... I also think there's a difference between saying there's "no problem" vs "it's possible to use the tool in a different way than you're used to in order to get what you want". Most people who use AnyDVD + DVD Shrink are likely used to not having to first rip an entire DVD's contents to HD "first" in order to then get to just the main movie title... and if that's due to some dastardly ingenious level of "structural protection" that AnyDVD isn't able to get around - but which CloneDVD is able to "deal" with in a way that DVD Shrink cannot, well then it's all fine and good to suggest that someone might be better of replacing the aging DVD Shrink with something more current - but it's understandable that folks who are used to not having to go through that step would see that as AnyDVD no longer working the same as it always has... that just makes sense right?

Let's see what happens with my rip - hopefully, I don't have to play a guessing game to find the correct main title. For what it's worth, I guess there are various levels of structural protection that involve multiple titles to appear, I've certainly seen that before in DVD Shrink and had to play a little bit to figure out which was the right title... but it sounds like IM2 has LOTS of titles inserted into the structure to make it more difficult. Hopefully the track the MOD mentioned shows up on mine and I don't have to fool with it... Either way - I'm glad to have AnyDVD to help with getting us THAT far...

Most people who use AnyDVD + DVD Shrink are likely used to not having to first rip an entire DVD's contents to HD "first" in order to then get to just the main movie title... and if that's due to some dastardly ingenious level of "structural protection" that AnyDVD isn't able to get around - but which CloneDVD is able to "deal" with in a way that DVD Shrink cannot, well then it's all fine and good to suggest that someone might be better of replacing the aging DVD Shrink with something more current.

It's actually been that way since Saw III came out - just that a lot of people don't know it because they got "lucky" with Main Movie rips. Like any good problem - it takes 2 little problems to give it life.

1: DVDShrink rips via the DVD's file system - not the title sets.
This is the same way you'd copy a folder in Windows or DOS. It also means that if the DOS file structure is screwed - so is DVDShrink. You also can't use Windows Explorer to copy the Video_TS folder out of such a DVD - like you used to be able to.

2: AnyDVD cannot "repair" structural copy protections "on the fly".
It can flag these protections so that a ripper that rips via the DVD title sets will get all the titles correctly by working around the structural issues. This is why CloneDVD can rip 'em with AnyDVD in the background.

Therefore... if you come across a disk with structural copy protection and you use DVD Shrink - you need to rip it first to folder with AnyDVD (or CloneDVD)

CloneDVD (like AnyDVD) rips via Title Sets. It ripped via title sets long before structural copy protections even came out on DVD's.

Perhaps Shrink would have changed its rip style if it were still supported - who knows?

-W

Last edited:
I'm thinking it could be several things:

1. Clean out your box of dust and blow out the inner working of the dirves with canned air.
2. Clean the lens with a speciality cleaner disk
3. Use a clean DVD blank. (I wash with soft soap and water - the master and the blank before I backup the data)

I also use taiyo yuden premium disks and I've never had a problem since I changed over.

I also use ccleaner to clean out the crap from the hard drive and make sure the only thing that's runing on the box is the backup software (AnyDVD/CloneDVD).

All the item mentioned have caused me issues in the past, so I do this now for each and every backup. Saves me heartburn no end.

I'm thinking it could be several things:

1. Clean out your box of dust and blow out the inner working of the dirves with canned air.
2. Clean the lens with a speciality cleaner disk
3. Use a clean DVD blank. (I wash with soft soap and water - the master and the blank before I backup the data)

I also use taiyo yuden premium disks and I've never had a problem since I changed over.

I also use ccleaner to clean out the crap from the hard drive and make sure the only thing that's runing on the box is the backup software (AnyDVD/CloneDVD).

All the item mentioned have caused me issues in the past, so I do this now for each and every backup. Saves me heartburn no end.

WOW!! If you do all that stuff above for each and every backup - when do you have time to actually watch movies? :D

Perhaps Shrink would have changed its rip style if it were still supported - who knows?
Maybe - I suppose the tool is well on it's way to the proggy graveyard :-(...

At any rate - all good explanation and guidance. FWIW - my rip worked out fine, and sure enough it was title 29. Good times... Thanks to all.

On its way ? It already is. DVDshrink hasnt been updated in YEARS.

DvDShrink and Iron Man 2

I've seen so much superstitous behavior on this website that I feel like a end user at the auto shop that has to deal with a "find and replace" mechanic.

I understand capitalism. You can't bring it upon yourselves to deal with the Iron Man issue without me purchasing new software. I'm not happy about it but I'm thinking about it. The last 3 movies I tried to back up with the latest version of AnyDVD do not work. Whatever happened to intellectual challenges? Are we left to John Galt and the pure profit motive? I don't mind paying for a bit of creativity, I just want somebody to be straightforward about it. I'm certainly not feeling it here.

I've seen so much superstitous behavior on this website that I feel like a end user at the auto shop that has to deal with a "find and replace" mechanic.

I understand capitalism. You can't bring it upon yourselves to deal with the Iron Man issue without me purchasing new software. I'm not happy about it but I'm thinking about it. The last 3 movies I tried to back up with the latest version of AnyDVD do not work. Whatever happened to intellectual challenges? Are we left to John Galt and the pure profit motive? I don't mind paying for a bit of creativity, I just want somebody to be straightforward about it. I'm certainly not feeling it here.

Now that you are an old and wizened four day veteran here - you must know that in order to get specific help you need to attach an AnyDVD logfile - Period.

That said. The latest AnyDVD works fine with Iron Man 2. AnyDVD has never needed any add-on software to work properly.
You have to use the AnyDVD ripper (to folder) - if you wanna use DVDShrink on it
And you have to to totally exit AnyDVD to properly set your drive region.

So post a logfile if you still have a problem - real simple.

-W

Last edited:
6.7 work great, rip to HDD 1st than use DVD Shrink.
Can't use DVD Shrink without copying to HDD 1st.

Thats nice to know.

Thank You for the info. I just did as you stated it worked. Never did it that way before.

Thanks Again!:bowdown::agree:

It's actually been that way since Saw III came out - just that a lot of people don't know it because they got "lucky" with Main Movie rips. Like any good problem - it takes 2 little problems to give it life.

1: DVDShrink rips via the DVD's file system - not the title sets.
This is the same way you'd copy a folder in Windows or DOS. It also means that if the DOS file structure is screwed - so is DVDShrink. (you also can't use Windows Explorer to copy the Video_TS folder out of such a DVD - like you used to be able to)

2: AnyDVD cannot "repair" structural copy protections "on the fly".
It can flag these protections so that a ripper that rips via the DVD title sets will get all the titles correctly by working around the structural issues. This is why CloneDVD can rip 'em with AnyDVD in the background.

Therefore... if you come across a disk with structural copy protection and you use DVD Shrink - you need to rip it first with AnyDVD (or CloneDVD)

CloneDVD (like AnyDVD) rips via Title Sets. It ripped via title sets long before structural copy protections even came out on DVD's.

-W

-W

not sure I understand your test. I have PowerDvd, and it plays caring less about the protection, because all it does is play, not rip. whether anydvd is running or not, a player should work fine with about any protection. so, not sure what you mean, when saying because a dvd plays, it means there is no issue with anydvd.

Back