• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Interesting article on audio: streaming vs. blu-ray

basically everything gets compressed down for streaming and its getting worse. Most platforms get worse as they grow bigger in an attempt to cut costs and make more money. Generally if a show/film I enjoy or am really looking forward to watching I will get the blu ray over streaming but quality means more to me than most.

I agree too.

That's why, for example, I'm stoked that The Expanse Season 6 is coming to Amazon Prime soon, I think next week, and I'll stream it there as soon as available.

But it's not until I get the Blu-Ray set that I'll really enjoy it.

Unfortunately for that series the disc release comes many, many months after streaming.

In fact, I don't think there's a Blu-Ray release yet for Season 5...

(Good article, btw)

T

LOL

"For audio mixers, the theatrical mix comes first, followed by a streaming mix. Then, a stereo mix will often be created, funneling the full scope of the sound mix through just two simple speakers in a process Donald Sylvester likens to "taking a beautiful steak and dragging it through the dirt."

Forget all mixes. Get the discs if you want to have best quality regarding video and audio.

Speaking as a Sound Mixer this whole thing disgusts me more than I can probably say in public as it destroys what we sweat blood creating as in 99 cases out of 100 it is done automatically by an algorithm.

Additionally, the other problems with streaming mixes is that the music level is far too loud and the overall sound has the dynamic range equivalent of a lightbulb.
Things are compressed within an inch of their lives to reduce dynamic range, then limited even harder for volume to cater to the earbuds market for those who think that a telephone is a suitable device to play films & music on and by the time all that has been done & then crushed into 2 channels & data compressed to AAC or the equally ghastly AC3 there is nothing left worth listening to.

I agree too.

That's why, for example, I'm stoked that The Expanse Season 6 is coming to Amazon Prime soon, I think next week, and I'll stream it there as soon as available.

But it's not until I get the Blu-Ray set that I'll really enjoy it.

Unfortunately for that series the disc release comes many, many months after streaming.

In fact, I don't think there's a Blu-Ray release yet for Season 5...

(Good article, btw)

T
The Expanse streams in 4K but is only in 1080p on Blu-ray, though.

The Expanse streams in 4K but is only in 1080p on Blu-ray, though.

Yeah but 4K on Prime is like barely acceptable Blu-Ray quality to me - LOL!

Incidentally a year and change since discussing this in this thread and there is still no Blu-Rays available for Season 5 or 6, afaik!

I've had to make do with 1080p AS downloads of those Seasons.

Will buy those boxsets in a Blu-Ray minute if they ever release them. :=)

[meant to say New York minute, but I think this works too - lol]

T

Yeah but 4K on Prime is like barely acceptable Blu-Ray quality to me - LOL!

Incidentally a year and change since discussing this in this thread and there is still no Blu-Rays available for Season 5 or 6, afaik!

I've had to make do with 1080p AS downloads of those Seasons.

Will buy those boxsets in a Blu-Ray minute if they ever release them. :=)

[meant to say New York minute, but I think this works too - lol]

T
I see more detail in the 2160p streams than in the 1080p Blu-rays. UHD Blu-ray would be best, of course, but failing that, a UHD stream can be better than an HD Blu-ray.

Halo and Strange New Worlds have surprisingly both received UHD Blu-ray releases, and all thirteen Star Trek films are now on UHD BD, but The Expanse is in the majority of streaming UHD only.

I see more detail in the 2160p streams than in the 1080p Blu-rays. UHD Blu-ray would be best, of course, but failing that, a UHD stream can be better than an HD Blu-ray.

Could be that my Internet speed is such that Prime doesn't use its maximum speed for me here, or something, because I'm definitely not seeing any UHD streams from there that actually look like UHD -- as I've come to know it from the discs.

I will say that Disney Plus seems to give 4K a run for the money here and looks pretty impressive actually.

Not "better than a UHD disc" impressive - streaming impressive. LOL.

Halo and Strange New Worlds have surprisingly both received UHD Blu-ray releases, and all thirteen Star Trek films are now on UHD BD, but The Expanse is in the majority of streaming UHD only.

Never saw Halo, happy with Strange New Worlds via Amazon HD downloads and have quite few of the Star Trek UHD's, with more to come.

Complete collection for Expanse?... :banghead:

T

Complete collection for Expanse?
Actually it's not complete ... there were 9 books and only 6 seasons.
So the TV show story is not concluded 😟
It's sad, because I really wanted to known how they implemented all of it.

Actually it's not complete ... there were 9 books and only 6 seasons.
So the TV show story is not concluded 😟
It's sad, because I really wanted to known how they implemented all of it.

That is sad, yeah.

I would too.

Not in the cards it seems.

... But I meant the complete collection of what was offered, i.e. Seasons 1-6...

The last episode was rather abrupt and seemed like a hasty wrap-up to me.

But I can live with it.

At least it wasn't a cliffhanger - lol.

T

Back