• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Intel (and others) warn about price hikes

Nvidia already said that the 4000 series GPUs will start at 1,000USD, not € for the low end.:(

I honestly think within 5 years a PC will go back to being a luxury that many cannot afford between price and lack of availability. Most will use phones for their daily computing.

I honestly think within 5 years a PC will go back to being a luxury that many cannot afford between price and lack of availability. Most will use phones for their daily computing.
I've already switched to working with the 2 Win 10 Pro laptops that I do have, and I got a used one as a gift.

I love PCs, but until I can be able to afford to build another one, I'll make do with laptops.

I've already switched to working with the 2 Win 10 Pro laptops that I do have, and I got a used one as a gift.

I love PCs, but until I can be able to afford to build another one, I'll make do with laptops.

That is sort of what I was talking about. 20+ years ago a PC was a luxury item. And there were laptops but they cost so much few had one at the time. I think within 5 years unless things drastically change (and they can) PCs will once again become luxury items. Everyone will use a phone or a low power laptop possibly like a Chromebook or something to that effect.

And of course this would mean a gaming PC would only be had by folks with very high incomes.

That is sort of what I was talking about. 20+ years ago a PC was a luxury item. And there were laptops but they cost so much few had one at the time. I think within 5 years unless things drastically change (and they can) PCs will once again become luxury items. Everyone will use a phone or a low power laptop possibly like a Chromebook or something to that effect.

And of course this would mean a gaming PC would only be had by folks with very high incomes.

You can still buy a basic PC without a fancy GPU for about $500, the same price not adjusted for inflation as in 1999. The key difference is now that basic PC comes standard with a PCIe x16 port(while in 1999 you didn't find the equivalent AGP port in bargain PCs). So building a bargain gaming PC is not that challenging.

I would say its only really a "luxury" if you need to have a bleeding-edge latest and greatest machine; and the only people who really need that are benchmark snobs. You can actually play the latest games on a machine cobbled together for about $200USD if you know what you're doing.

You can still buy a basic PC without a fancy GPU for about $500, the same price not adjusted for inflation as in 1999. The key difference is now that basic PC comes standard with a PCIe x16 port(while in 1999 you didn't find the equivalent AGP port in bargain PCs). So building a bargain gaming PC is not that challenging.

I would say its only really a "luxury" if you need to have a bleeding-edge latest and greatest machine; and the only people who really need that are benchmark snobs. You can actually play the latest games on a machine cobbled together for about $200USD if you know what you're doing.

I am going off memory here but in the late 90's a $1,000 PC was a new thing and it was heralded because it was opening up computing to the masses. Now soon after the likes of Compaq and Packard Bell came on the scene driving prices lower but at the time even those were terrible machines. A $500 machine today is better than it's late 90's counterpart relatively speaking but you will only run office type apps on it as it will be hampered by integrated graphics, 8GB RAM and possibly a mechanical HD. If it's an SSD it will be tiny in the neighborhood of 256GB.

All that is fine for office applications (documents, email, web browsing, etc) but you won't be playing games on it of any heft and I am not sure where you come up $200 from but I disagree with that quit vehemently.

But back to the original point. Yes, PCs right now are still affordable. My point was in the near future they won't be due to several things namely general inflation, PC component inflation and problems with the supply chain for anything with circuits.

I know a number of folks now who don't use a PC and will do most everything via their phone. Which is quite ironic because in many cases the phone costs more than a PC.

I am going off memory here but in the late 90's a $1,000 PC was a new thing and it was heralded because it was opening up computing to the masses. Now soon after the likes of Compaq and Packard Bell came on the scene driving prices lower but at the time even those were terrible machines. A $500 machine today is better than it's late 90's counterpart relatively speaking but you will only run office type apps on it as it will be hampered by integrated graphics, 8GB RAM and possibly a mechanical HD. If it's an SSD it will be tiny in the neighborhood of 256GB.

I had one of those late 90s $500 PCs. In fact I still have it. It was an eMachines, 433mhz Celleron with 32mb of RAM. The biggest problem was the lack of an AGP port making it impossible to add a decent GPU. I could still play most games just fine, and believe me I did.

All that is fine for office applications (documents, email, web browsing, etc) but you won't be playing games on it of any heft and I am not sure where you come up $200 from but I disagree with that quit vehemently.

Its actually quite possible and there are tons of guides for it online. You pick up an off-corporate-lease Dell for maybe 100 bucks, last-seasons mid-range graphics card for the same price, a cheap PCIe extender for 10 bucks. You can even add M.2 drive for a little extra. Tax and shipping are going to up the price a bit, but it WILL run practically any game under the sun at the lowest settings.

Obviously this is never going to be as good as a top-of-the-line machine, but the point is gaming on a budget is a very achievable goal.

But back to the original point. Yes, PCs right now are still affordable. My point was in the near future they won't be due to several things namely general inflation, PC component inflation and problems with the supply chain for anything with circuits.

I know a number of folks now who don't use a PC and will do most everything via their phone. Which is quite ironic because in many cases the phone costs more than a PC.

In the near future maybe for a short time period, I guess? All of these issues you are sighting are short-term problems with solutions. Supply chain issues are a temporary thing. If PC part manufacturers price themselves out of the market, they will go out of business, and new manufacturers will arise with a business model that meets consumer demands.

You can see it happening right now: nVidia comes along with its new graphics card starting at $1000 USD, so AMD comes back and says "We can deliver the same performance for $500, so buy ours."

Its a simple supply and demand. Consumers demand affordable PCs, so the supply will come from somewhere.

I had one of those late 90s $500 PCs. In fact I still have it. It was an eMachines, 433mhz Celleron with 32mb of RAM. The biggest problem was the lack of an AGP port making it impossible to add a decent GPU. I could still play most games just fine, and believe me I did.

Its actually quite possible and there are tons of guides for it online. You pick up an off-corporate-lease Dell for maybe 100 bucks, last-seasons mid-range graphics card for the same price, a cheap PCIe extender for 10 bucks. You can even add M.2 drive for a little extra. Tax and shipping are going to up the price a bit, but it WILL run practically any game under the sun at the lowest settings.

Obviously this is never going to be as good as a top-of-the-line machine, but the point is gaming on a budget is a very achievable goal.

In the near future maybe for a short time period, I guess? All of these issues you are sighting are short-term problems with solutions. Supply chain issues are a temporary thing. If PC part manufacturers price themselves out of the market, they will go out of business, and new manufacturers will arise with a business model that meets consumer demands.

You can see it happening right now: nVidia comes along with its new graphics card starting at $1000 USD, so AMD comes back and says "We can deliver the same performance for $500, so buy ours."

Its a simple supply and demand. Consumers demand affordable PCs, so the supply will come from somewhere.

We will have to agree to disagree on the cheap PC thing. Although if it were me, I would be cranking out $200 PC's left and right and selling them for twice that and making bank.

Now as far as the main point of my post. You clearly believe the current inflationary trends and supply problems are transient. My assertion is they are here to stay for at least a few years if not longer. For example, recently layoffs at many large companies were announced and while not related to that ,but still a sign of the market, is the announcement Sony just made about raising the price of the PS5.

Now clearly all that is my opinion but I believe that is where it is going, although I do hope I am incorrect.

We are talking new stuff here, right? Or at least something with warranty...
200 bucks would never be enough for a decent-performing machine ... if you start from scratch you also need a monitor
A last-season mid range graphics card for 100?? For that price more like 4 to 5 seasons back
Of course games will run, but who wants that ... at 640x480? :sick:

We will have to agree to disagree on the cheap PC thing. Although if it were me, I would be cranking out $200 PC's left and right and selling them for twice that and making bank.

Now as far as the main point of my post. You clearly believe the current inflationary trends and supply problems are transient. My assertion is they are here to stay for at least a few years if not longer. For example, recently layoffs at many large companies were announced and while not related to that ,but still a sign of the market, is the announcement Sony just made about raising the price of the PS5.

Now clearly all that is my opinion but I believe that is where it is going, although I do hope I am incorrect.

A much more likely scenario for you to consider is the evaporation of the market for graphically demanding games. Remember that the games industry can't sustain itself if too few of people can afford a gaming PC. So if manufacturers can't come through with affordable hardware, then designers will shift their focus towards games that can run on commodity hardware.

Its basic supply and demand. The PC games market isn't going away ever.

Back