• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

if ANYDVD is not running I cannot play AUDIO CDs

Waslabberschdu

hey Guys,

after 6 years I needed before Christmas to reinstall my Win 10 again and ANYDVD was installed quite after the Windows, Drivers, Office etc. setup. But I had not tested any Audio CDs or DVDs.

2 weeks later I wanted to hear a Audio CD during my work from home and noticed that I couldn't listen to any audio CDs via Windows Media Player(WMP) nor via MediaPlayerClassic (MPC) or VLC Player. But if I run any of these programs as an Administrator (with elevated rights) then it works....

So I started to check the issue on the internet and found various solutions about GPO Settings and registry hacks and none of them worked. But then I noticed that ANYDVD is registered as a lower filter driver in the Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}.

Therefore I deinstalled ANYDVD, checked that the filter driver was removed and after a Win reboot I could again listen to any Audio CD as expected without running WMP/MPC/VLC program with elevated rights. So far so good, therefore I reinstalled ANYDVD again and the issue started again, meaning that only when ANYDVD is running then I can also listen to audio CDs - but to be honest I don't want to run ANYDVD the whole time...

Does anyone have an idea how to change this behaviour or is this by design of ANYDVD or even a bug?
Thanks!
TS

what speaks against running AnyDVD in the background? uses almost no resources as we are talking about 29MB of RAM

Screenshot 2022-01-05 150820.png

There are use cases not to always have AnyDVD resident. I don't know if this is still the case, but here's the reason why I don't have it running all the time. 11 years ago, I discovered if AnyDVD is running and you burn a non-DVD Video DVD+RW, the DVD+RW contents are not readable, even if AnyDVD is closed after the disc is burnt. The DVD will fail Verifies in ImgBurn. The DVD+RW is usable again, but only after a full format. I performed several tests and determined this is the case with AnyDVD and DVD+RW's. Of course, while ImgBurn does fully warn the user to disable AnyDVD during burning because it can interfere with Verifies of DVD Video discs, it also, when resident, interferes with DVD+RW writing. It does not do this with DVD+/-R and it does this regardless of if you're not burning a DVD Video disc.

So, I disabled the option to always start AnyDVD and just invoke it and close it manually as needed because I can't guarantee I'll always remember to close off AnyDVD before burning a DVD+RW.

this is of course also a possibility to not let AnyDVD work at system start if you take it out of the autostart

For years I had this problem, only with dvd's. I was using a Toshiba laptop from about 2013 with windows 10. For some reason anydvd would do something to my system that would either or, not let me play anything unless it was running and sometimes the drives would not even see anything in them, unless anydvd was running. I was told I was the only one with this problem and it could not be duplicated. But every few months the problem would reappear. If it is still happening to you. You can try uninstalling anydvd, then restart your computer, then go and uninstall all drivers for your drives and the drives themselves, then restart your system. After that, reinstall anydvd with autostart turned off. This usually worked for me, but I must admit sometimes it took a few tries of that method to clear up the problem. To check and see if it worked, you must turn anydvd on let it scan a disc, then disable anydvd and try putting a new disc, audio or dvd and see if your system acts normal.

Back