• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ideal resolutions for DivX with CloneMobile

grose

Hi,

I've looked through the manual and scanned a few threads, but it's still not clear what to use for resolution settings when converting to

DivX for viewing on widescreen TV (LCD 1080i HD -- I know the DivX is not HD, but that's the unit the files will play on)

DivX for viewing on cell phone

Image quality is an obvious choice -- you ramp it up until the file size is as large as you want it to be. But what are the appropriate resolution settings, and why do I choose one over the other for a given target device? If anyone would offer some advice and education in this area, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I previously tried a different program, but there was a very noticeable audio sync issue. I saw a few threads on the same in this forum. So far, I haven't seen anything (using latest 1.1.6.0). If anyone has recommendations to be avoid that issue going forward, I would certainly appreciate that as well.

Thanks,

Gordon

If I understand your question correctly, you're converting to Divx to play on your 1080i TV, correct?

If that's the case, and you're converting from DVDs, I'd recommend one of the 720x*** resolutions. Depending on if your movie is widescreen or not, you might get two resolution options starting with 720 (ex.: 720x404 and 720x480). The reason I suggest using this resolution is because that's the resolution width of the original DVD video. If you go any lower, you'll lose resolution. If you go any higher, you won't get any benefit because the original video resolution isn't that high.

In regards to widescreen, I've noticed with Divx that if I choose the 720x480 option (which is original DVD resolution) it seems to stretch the video, making actors look tall and skinny. If I choose the lower option (720x404) it doesn't have this issue. I'm guessing it's just a Divx encoding quirk.

Hope that helps.

Hi dragon457,

That's great help -- thank you very much. Do you have any thoughts on settings for

laptop/computer viewing
and
cell phone, screen specs are:

Colors: 262,144 (18-bit)
Resolution: 176 x 220 pixels
2.25 inches

Again, thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards,

Gordon

Well, for laptop viewing, the same settings would apply as in my last post. As long as you have the Divx codec installed, you should be able to view those 720x*** files just fine. They'll pretty much be as good as it gets.

You could also use the WMV format for your laptop, if you're running Windows. It encodes at about the same speed as Divx (at least on my PC it does), and as long as you have your bitrate set high enough (1500-2000 is usually optimal) they'll look great. Same resolution settings as Divx apply here.

Now, for your phone, I really don't know. It depends on what your phone can handle. I don't know if your phone recognizes .mp4, .3gp, etc., so I really don't know what you should use. Is your phone manufacturer not listed in the export types in the first step of the CloneDVD Mobile wizard?

Back