• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

I'd like to think that BD+ is getting closer to being obliterated....

If I understand correctly, there should be a way to permanently crack BD+, unlike AACS which will probably need to be "re-broken" every time they do a revocation. I think James was quoted as saying that BD+ is simply security through obscurity, which can (and usually is) permanently broken once the obscurity part is figured out.

Great to hear that BD+ is on the way (hoping this means very close to being released). I'm very interested to see the reaction from Fox (and now macrovision) if was really (permantely) splayed open.
Everyone should note that than nothing has been cracked like CSS. AACS has been worked around, not cracked like CSS which they could do nothing about as the source code was out there. As you can remove it, I'm not too concered. BD+ has been worked around but of course it is still a problem as it hasn't been removed.

If I understand correctly, there should be a way to permanently crack BD+, unlike AACS which will probably need to be "re-broken" every time they do a revocation. I think James was quoted as saying that BD+ is simply security through obscurity, which can (and usually is) permanently broken once the obscurity part is figured out.

It was my understanding that its the other way around.

BD+ runs a java program located on the disc which does the decrpytion, it can execute any custom code on the player to do this.

So each movie could have a completely different encryption method, similar to the way each pc app or game has a different protection which have to be cracked on a per disc basis.

OMG, you're all peeing you pants, aren't you? Yes, a permanent crack is on the way.

Yeah, definately peeing my pants. Luckily I have a plastic chair mat!

You guys are wicked smart.

We wish you a BD-crackmas, we wish you a BD-crackmas, and I happy new year!

It was my understanding that its the other way around.

BD+ runs a java program located on the disc which does the decryption, it can execute any custom code on the player to do this.

So each movie could have a completely different encryption method, similar to the way each pc app or game has a different protection which have to be cracked on a per disc basis.

I read that it's a VM, but I'm not sure it's Java. Java is the most well known VM, but there are many others. A VM is just a way of running code in a non-hardware specific way. It allows BD+ to run on any hardware regardless of the CPU.

The easiest way to crack it (IMHO) would be to write your own VM that implements the BD+ instruction set and just run the BD+ code in it. I assume they aren't just giving the BD+ VM instruction set/API away, so you would have to reverse engineer it someway. They did a similar mechanism for satellite cards and that's one way they cracked it.

If Sony et al is smart, they haven't played there entire hand and there will be a chess game that will play out over years.

Hopefully Toshiba and co. can flood the market with cheap HD DVD players so we can rid ourselves of BD-Max in the near future.

I read that it's a VM, but I'm not sure it's Java. Java is the most well known VM, but there are many others. A VM is just a way of running code in a non-hardware specific way. It allows BD+ to run on any hardware regardless of the CPU.

The easiest way to crack it (IMHO) would be to write your own VM that implements the BD+ instruction set and just run the BD+ code in it. I assume they aren't just giving the BD+ VM instruction set/API away, so you would have to reverse engineer it someway. They did a similar mechanism for satellite cards and that's one way they cracked it.

If Sony et al is smart, they haven't played there entire hand and there will be a chess game that will play out over years.

Hopefully Toshiba and co. can flood the market with cheap HD DVD players so we can rid ourselves of BD-Max in the near future.

Or just use the important bits of power dvd. Not that it works or that I would do such a thing. Power dvd does have many bits to use if one were so inclined to use them. Anydvd is by far the best solution however, and the easiest.

Yes, however the instructions on this new decryption method would be on the disc in the form of BD+ code. This is coming down to the old saying that "if it can be played, it can be ripped." If they come up with some new decryption method, they have to provide all the code to do the decryption on the disc, so that a real player could do the necessary stuff. A properly implemented Slysoft BD+ VM would be able to read this and know what to do right away. This is why I think that BD+ can be broken forever, whereas AACS is a lot less likely to be permanently broken. Now that AACS has started their "proactive renewal," new keys will have to be discovered by Slysoft (or anyone else wanting to try) about every 3 months.

Nero 8 With HD Liscense

Well, I foolishly updated my PowerDVD on November 18 not knowing what surprises awaited me. After numerous attempts to get this program off my computer, even going so far as to restore my Sony Viao to the factory formatted hard drive(i think they put something on the hard drive since sometimes it work then the video card error would come up, then I reboot and all is well for about 1 hour), but with no success, I reverted to my original Power DVD disc around the time it came out but still got the Video driver error, which is not the problem since my laptop came with a HDMI plug. Today I updated my Nero 7 to 8 with the HD/Blue Ray Liscense key and I must say as much as I dislike Nero compared to Roxio the files being played from the hard drive like power dvd used to look better than anything I was able to get power dvd to do. Something tells me that the people at Nero won't be as likely to bow down!!! Thank you Slysoft for making great products that allow me to use my Plasma TV and computer in the HD format that I paid Sony for, kind of ironic that I purchased SONY, it is kind of like sleeping with the enemy!!!

I am still peeing my pants.:) The first thing I do when I get up is to check if there is a AnyDVD version with full BD+ support out. So come on James or Peer please give us a timeframe....when can we expect this version? :bowdown::bowdown:

I am still peeing my pants.:) The first thing I do when I get up is to check if there is a AnyDVD version with full BD+ support out. So come on James or Peer please give us a timeframe....when can we expect this version? :bowdown::bowdown:

How can you give a time frame on cracking something? It'll be done when it's done, you can't exactly turn round and say 'oh I know I'll finish it next Wednesday' :doh:

Of course you can, it depends on how far you are. If you know how the crack will work and you only have to implement it into AnyDVD then you could give a timeframe.

Of course you can, it depends on how far you are. If you know how the crack will work and you only have to implement it into AnyDVD then you could give a timeframe.

And they said that they already have found a way to crack it so they just have to implement it and to make sure it works perfect, and can't be "revoked" to fast....

If it was ready, it'd be released. Since it's not, we can only assume they're still working on it, as they've told us. If they gave a release estimate and then missed it, you'd be pissed that they didn't meet some artificial deadline. Hence why they don't give one. :)

Cat and Mouse Game...

Hate to give the bad news and I'm not speaking for SlySoft, but in a Cat and Mouse game that is BD+, SlySoft will not release a full crack until they absolutely have to. Even if they already have a working copy. The reasons why should be obvious to any one in the game long enough.

They only reason I can see them releasing a full crack any time in the near future is if they want to ensure HD DVD wins the format war. Otherwise, they'll wait as long as possible and keep all their tricks as secret for as long as possible.

Freedom

P.S. I have just one wish from Santa - Smart Tags, Oh My, for my External Application Launcher in deed - that would do trick - thank you Santa, thank you from Me.... :)

Hate to give the bad news and I'm not speaking for SlySoft, but in a Cat and Mouse game that is BD+, SlySoft will not release a full crack until they absolutely have to. Even if they already have a working copy. The reasons why should be obvious to any one in the game long enough.
Right, they develop the crack with the intention of not releasing it. Just like they didn't release a version that cracks the new aacs. Oh wait, they did, and they did it in a way that doesn't reveal how it's done. The new master key or whatever they found is on a secure server so nobody can revoke it. Maybe they can do the same with BD+? AnyDVD uploads the necessary info to a server and then downloads the info necessary to remove BD+ ? That's just a thought, i have no info that this is what will happen. Just trying to show that SlySoft holding back the crack is nonsense.

To Release or Not To Release...

>> Just like they didn't release a version that cracks the new aacs.

They did with AACS, but why? They had to or else their product would quickly lose value in the market place. Everyone wants to rip the latest movies. In this case, releasing was in their best interest.

With BD+, you can rip with the current solution in place. So why should they release the next stage of the hack until this one stops working. In short, why show your hand before you have to?

You'll notice they are attempting to hide the "master AACS key" they are using for both BluRay and HD DVD. Why? Because if it gets discovered then they have more work to do. It also gives their competition code to reverse engineer.

In short, it's in their best interest (and ours frankly) for them to only release this stuff as is absolutely necessary.

My point is only this, from a tactical point of view it is probably a mistake to release it unless they are trying to put the nail into the BluRay format (which I'm all for BTW). In a perfect world, they would release a real BD+ crack and kill the last leg that it has to stand on, but if they think there is any chance it will survive, then they'd be better off the hang on and only release when absolutely necessary.

Your statement makes no sense, if a crack for BD+ doesn't come out then more studios will use it as they will then have a good copy protection. Blu-ray is not going to go under just because BD+ isn't cracked, if anything studios will start to use it more so they can guarantee less piracy. It's more likely to kill Blu-ray if a crack does come out because then studios will most likely look at it and say 'whats the point of going Blu-ray if it's more expensive to make and just as easy to crack'

I agree- I think WB needs to see the crack come out so they can realize that BD+ offers none of the protection Sony has promised, and it's just more Sony BS.

With BD+, you can rip with the current solution in place. So why should they release the next stage of the hack until this one stops working. In short, why show your hand before you have to?
Because not everyone is using PowerDVD. Because some people want to remux or even reencode. Because SlySoft wants to earn money - and having *really* cracked BD+ (instead of just having luck with BD+ not working well) will attract new customers.

I believe SlySoft has hacked BD+.
The question is what can BDA possibly do to update BD+ and how vulnerable will the next version be. Until SlySoft has an understanding in this department we won't see it released.

It took SlySoft almost a year to implement the Decryption Oracle (online key retrieval). The only reason it took this long, I think, is because they needed a healthy number of device keys so that Traitor Tracing won't be able to zero in and revoke the keys used.

Diogen.

Back