• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Hunger Games Catching Fire US Region - Unable to rip properly

Op did, must have mixed you up. That being said, you must have picked the wrong sound track in avs.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

I did some messing around, problem is with the menu, re-authored with DVD shrink and now AVS has no trouble.

I did some messing around, problem is with the menu, re-authored with DVD shrink and now AVS has no trouble.

Then I would take that to the AVS people and have them fix their software. If Shrink which hasn't had any kind of update in years can handle the AnyDVD output, but AVS can't, I think an AVS update is in order.

I might be a new member, but it is your assumption that I am new to this process. FYI the first thing I always do is rip a DVD to folder with AnyDVD!
I don't claim to know everything, but don't insult my intelligence or be so quick to blame the software I use other than Slysoft! For "Hunger Games Catching Fire" the movie itself is un-accesable for AVS. I have in the past delt with DVDs that when they are ripped switch the languages, there is a problem with the complete removal of protections from this DVD. whether AnyDVD gueranties complete removal I am unsure, but you have not really helped. I checked the entire list of files and the main movie is un-accesable by normal means. perhapse there is a work around that I am unaware of, but I am not a novice!
PS "no compression = no change" is this true for re-authoring? (this advise was helpful)

Re-authoring just changes the DVD "structure" not the content you decide to keep.
It's "transcoding" (shrinking) that changes the actual content.
And you're new to something somewhere when you said it takes weeks for AnyDVD to react to a new protection. That's total disinformation.
Look at the thread about the EU version of this title on this very board:
https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?59890-Hunger-Games-Catching-fire-EU-region
It took what? About a 1/2 hour from the time James saw the logfile - till a new beta was out.
All of the the complaints about this film are coming from people using 3rd party software with Anydvd - and this is the most popular movie of the quarter - so you do the math sport.
People using CloneDVD and even DVDShrink aren't making any noise. When AnyDVD has a real problem with a popular movie - this board goes wild.
The only way to actually test AnyDVD is put the DVD in a PC and then try to play the DVD itself with a good commercial software player (like PowerDVD) with AnyDVD running in the background (at defaults). It outta work.
(If still unsure, you can rip to folder and then try to play that ripped folder with PowerDVD.)
Only when the above test fails - can you begin to assume AnyDVD is the culprit.

-W
PS: The very first thing the "Please Read this before you post" thread wants with any trouble report is an AnyDVD logfile attached to the post in order to facilitate proper diagnostics. I can't seem to find yours??

Last edited:
Then I would take that to the AVS people and have them fix their software. If Shrink which hasn't had any kind of update in years can handle the AnyDVD output, but AVS can't, I think an AVS update is in order.

Shhhhhh!! He gave is his expert opinion.
No way AVS or Handbrake could be causing troubles. :D
But we can be relieved that Anydvd will be fixed in a "few weeks" - LOL!!!

-W

PS: I just got done watching the AnyDVD rip of the entire disk using PowerDVD. No problems at all with menus, audio, video - or anything.

Last edited:
Re-authoring just changes the DVD "structure" not the content you decide to keep.
It's "transcoding" (shrinking) that changes the actual content.
And you're new to something somewhere when you said it takes weeks for AnyDVD to react to a new protection. That's total disinformation.
Look at the thread about the EU version of this title on this very board:
https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?59890-Hunger-Games-Catching-fire-EU-region
It took what? About a 1/2 hour from the time James saw the logfile - till a new beta was out.
All of the the complaints about this film are coming from people using 3rd party software with Anydvd - and this is the most popular movie of the quarter - so you do the math sport.
People using CloneDVD and even DVDShrink aren't making any noise. When AnyDVD has a real problem with a popular movie - this board goes wild.
The only way to actually test AnyDVD is put the DVD in a PC and then try to play the DVD itself with a good commercial software player (like PowerDVD) with AnyDVD running in the background (at defaults). It outta work.
(If still unsure, you can rip to folder and then try to play that ripped folder with PowerDVD.)
Only when the above test fails - can you begin to assume AnyDVD is the culprit.

-W
PS: The very first thing the "Please Read this before you post" thread wants with any trouble report is an AnyDVD logfile attached to the post in order to facilitate proper diagnostics. I can't seem to find yours??

LOL, you crack me up, the movie was released yesterday.I also can make it run on PowerDVD(without even using AnyDVD) Slysoft support has already confirmed that there is a problem with the menu that doesn't pertain to programs like DVD shrink or Power DVD. AVS fails becauseit needs to read the menu's directory which still hasn't been properly patched! Re-authoring fixed it because it removes the menu! OK blow hard you can have the last word now.

Last edited:
I also can make it run on PowerDVD(without even using AnyDVD)

Well that's a good thing and should not be strange at all.
Any new DVD off the shelf is "supposed to play" on a standalone DVD player (or a PC player like PowerDVD) without having to take any further action.
Now... if the thing plays fine in PowerDVD without using AnyDVD (as all DVD's should), but then you start AnyDVD and it misbehaves with AnyDVD running - THAT's an issue worth reporting (with a logfile).
Further, the AnyDVD rip to folder should play just like the DVD played with AnyDVD running. (A rip to ISO should also play that way - but the ISO rip is not always compatible with third party products - so not recommended).
As for the release date, a Friday release for some "blockbusters" is not uncommon to see here over the long haul. And if there is a real problem with the way AnyDVD handles a disk - this board lights up like a Christmas tree within 24 hours of the release - every time.
But the real problem with your post is that you immediately said on a public forum that:
1. AnyDVD could not handle this title.
2. You've see this happen often, and that it takes James weeks to get a patch out.
Neither of the above is true. What you didn't stop to think about, is how the above disinformation would read to a prospective customer who is "checking out" competing products. Personally - I love my lifetime license to AnyDVD and would like it to prosper a long time. So if see some new face come on the forums spewing 1/2 truths and outright lies about the product and it's amazing service record, I can only conclude one of two things.
A) The person is a total n00b and spouting off about that which he knows very little. (common)
B) The new face is a very clever shill for a competitor - sent in to trash the product on a public forum. (happens more than you think)
Either way... 1/2 truths and outright lies can hurt sales - and that impacts the potential value of my lifetime license.
Conclusion: When you come into a public forum for a commercial product it's best to be armed with facts (and a logfile!) before offering your own brand of diagnostics and quick assumptions.
-W

well if the movie was only just released, it's not uncommon for anydvd not to handle it properly immediately. Protections do get updated ya know? That's where the logfiles come into play, james needs those to update anydvd so he can release a new beta that potentially DOES handle that version of a movie. This could take a few days or longer. It all depends on how heavy the (new) protection is. That's neither yours nor anydvd's fault. Ya can't expect anydvd to be able to handle a new protection on a movie the same day it it is released without even knowing the protection(s) got updated.

Have a little common sence please :)

well if the movie was only just released, it's not uncommon for anydvd not to handle it properly immediately. Protections do get updated ya know? That's where the logfiles come into play, james needs those to update anydvd so he can release a new beta that potentially DOES handle that version of a movie. This could take a few days or longer. It all depends on how heavy the (new) protection is. That's neither yours nor anydvd's fault. Ya can't expect anydvd to be able to handle a new protection on a movie the same day it it is released without even knowing the protection(s) got updated.

Have a little common sence please :)

Agreed totally. (I touched on those same points in an earlier post as well.)
With a "blockbuster", James usually has early access to the logfiles, and at very worst has to get the physical disk overnighted from Amazon or somewhere. The speed at which he handled the problem with that EU disk was quite typical of the response time - given a good logfile to work from. And it's surely not a matter of weeks!
Anecdotally so far, some versions of this particular title seem to (maybe) have some some sort of vague "menu issue". But since it's working properly in PowerDVD from the AnyDVD rip - it's questionable if it rises to the level of AnyDVD needing, wanting, or able to deal with it. AnyDVD doesn't always fix every authoring mistake made by the DVD makers, particularly if those errors don't seem to be deliberate protections, and don't affect the more mainstream products used to manipulate or play DVD's. (ex. Handbrake has a known issue with some titles - beyond the scope of AnyDVD's job)
-W
PS: Aside from the Friday "release rush", this movie will see another "rush" on Tuesday when all the "normal" US releases appear. The people that weren't "gunning" for it will wait and snatch it then - and provide yet another "sampling" between Tuesday And Wednesday.

Last edited:
Well that's a good thing and should not be strange at all.
Any new DVD off the shelf is "supposed to play" on a standalone DVD player (or a PC player like PowerDVD) without having to take any further action.
Now... if the thing plays fine in PowerDVD without using AnyDVD (as all DVD's should), but then you start AnyDVD and it misbehaves with AnyDVD running - THAT's an issue worth reporting (with a logfile).
Further, the AnyDVD rip to folder should play just like the DVD played with AnyDVD running. (A rip to ISO should also play that way - but the ISO rip is not always compatible with third party products - so not recommended).
As for the release date, a Friday release for some "blockbusters" is not uncommon to see here over the long haul. And if there is a real problem with the way AnyDVD handles a disk - this board lights up like a Christmas tree within 24 hours of the release - every time.
But the real problem with your post is that you immediately said on a public forum that:
1. AnyDVD could not handle this title.
2. You've see this happen often, and that it takes James weeks to get a patch out.
Neither of the above is true. What you didn't stop to think about, is how the above disinformation would read to a prospective customer who is "checking out" competing products. Personally - I love my lifetime license to AnyDVD and would like it to prosper a long time. So if see some new face come on the forums spewing 1/2 truths and outright lies about the product and it's amazing service record, I can only conclude one of two things.
A) The person is a total n00b and spouting off about that which he knows very little. (common)
B) The new face is a very clever shill for a competitor - sent in to trash the product on a public forum. (happens more than you think)
Either way... 1/2 truths and outright lies can hurt sales - and that impacts the potential value of my lifetime license.
Conclusion: When you come into a public forum for a commercial product it's best to be armed with facts (and a logfile!) before offering your own brand of diagnostics and quick assumptions.
-W

its funny how a person list two possible scenarios in an attempt to project two possible reasons for an inaccurate statement on to someone!
Well i choose C) I own a lifetime subscription to AnyDVD, I am quite confident in Slysoft's ability to patch the menu as I have seen them do in the past. I generously gave them two weeks because I am appreciative of their attention and I realize the title was just released.

PS it is a common form of copy protection to purposely create problems with menu directories and/or audio and subtitles!

PS it is a common form of copy protection to purposely create problems with menu directories and/or audio and subtitles!

I can't remember any title with such an issue. Anyway, I don't see anything wrong how AnyDVD handles your disc. Hunger Games Catching Fire US is handled for several weeks now.

its funny how a person list two possible scenarios in an attempt to project two possible reasons for an inaccurate statement on to someone!
Well i choose C) I own a lifetime subscription to AnyDVD, I am quite confident in Slysoft's ability to patch the menu as I have seen them do in the past. I generously gave them two weeks because I am appreciative of their attention and I realize the title was just released.

I really don't understand how you can think that the problem is with AnyDVD. When Shrink, CloneDVD, Handbrake, and a couple of others I won't mention, work just fine with an AnyDVD rip of that title, but AVS doesn't...

I can't remember any title with such an issue. Anyway, I don't see anything wrong how AnyDVD handles your disc. Hunger Games Catching Fire US is handled for several weeks now.

Red-box version was released 3/7/2014. Slysoft has already acknowledged problem.

I really don't understand how you can think that the problem is with AnyDVD. When Shrink, CloneDVD, Handbrake, and a couple of others I won't mention, work just fine with an AnyDVD rip of that title, but AVS doesn't...

You just don't get it!? the problem is not with DVD playback it is with the directory and doesn't apply to DVD players or to the programs you list it working with, AVS converts to other file formats. I use AVS to convert to AVI, which wouldnt be as easy without AnyDVD which has patched the directories in the past for me, patches are something that must be brought to developers attention because they can be unique, the Redbox version is new and given enough attention it will be fixed as Slysoft always does.

FYI
"Bad Sector" schemes, which deliberately place bad sectors of information into the DVD itself that cause copying software to correct the errors. Standard DVD players usually ignore these sectors and play through them. Special players look for these bad sectors to play the DVD and will inhibit playback if it sees a copied disc with the corrected errors.

Content Alteration is the most recent type of copy protection that attempts to disable copying and ripping programs without impacting the original content of the DVD. This type of copy protection maintains the highest level of playback compatibility and doesn't require on special hardware or software on the user end.

Last edited:
You just don't get it!? the problem is not with DVD playback it is with the directory and doesn't apply to DVD players or to the programs you list it working with, AVS converts to other file formats. I use AVS to convert to AVI, which wouldnt be as easy without AnyDVD which has patched the directories in the past for me, patches are something that must be brought to developers attention because they can be unique, the Redbox version is new and given enough attention it will be fixed as Slysoft always does.

FYI
"Bad Sector" schemes, which deliberately place bad sectors of information into the DVD itself that cause copying software to correct the errors. Standard DVD players usually ignore these sectors and play through them. Special players look for these bad sectors to play the DVD and will inhibit playback if it sees a copied disc with the corrected errors.

Content Alteration is the most recent type of copy protection that attempts to disable copying and ripping programs without impacting the original content of the DVD. This type of copy protection maintains the highest level of playback compatibility and doesn't require on special hardware or software on the user end.

CloneDVDmobile and Handbrake are used to covert to other formats. They work just fine. Don't even have to rip first with CloneDVDmobile. I figured there was a reason I don't have AVS. Now I know why.

CloneDVDmobile and Handbrake are used to covert to other formats. They work just fine. Don't even have to rip first with CloneDVDmobile. I figured there was a reason I don't have AVS. Now I know why.

if you check some of the other threads you will find people are having problems with those programs as well, but i may switch to Clone DVD mobile anyways
unfortunatly AVS stability isnt that great compared to Clone DVD mobile, I do find the controls easier to navigate though

Last edited:
if you check some of the other threads you will find people are having problems with those programs as well, but i may switch to Clone DVD mobile anyways
unfortunatly AVS stability isnt that great compared to Clone DVD mobile, I do find the controls easier to navigate though

Now I will say that CloneDVDmobile does have some faults. Since they changed engines, there has been some sync and assorted other issues. I sometimes have to resort to an earlier version. But all that will hopefully be resolved sometime in the near future.

Handbrake has had an issue on a few of the newer discs. But at least there is just an option change to fix it, not have to use an entirely different program, then use your program.

Last edited:
Most of those were for the following problems:
1) Using a version prior to 7.4.4.0
2) Trying to find the correct playlist on Blurays. Those were caused by not looking at the playlist AnyDVD HD told them, or they were using a version prior to 7.4.4.0.
3) Possible malware issue.

Now I will say that CloneDVDmobile does have some faults. Since they changed engines, there has been some sync and assorted other issues. I sometimes have to resort to an earlier version. But all that will hopefully be resolved sometime in the near future.

I checked out CloneDVDmobile, it has less options and feautures, but its more stable, updated more often and will do the job, but I I'd like it better if it let me customize output files a little more(specifically audio codecs)

I checked out CloneDVDmobile, it has less options and feautures, but its more stable, updated more often and will do the job, but I I'd like it better if it let me customize output files a little more(specifically audio codecs)

Maybe when they get their newest engine done (same that is to be in Slyce), they may be able to have more options. Might ask for specific improvements in the CloneDVDmobile section and see if you can get an answer.

It does. That's what the devices.ini file is for in the installation folder.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Back