• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Hulu giving me VTT Subtitles and calling them SRT [Solved]

pastorbadger

I thought I post an easy problem to help take your minds off the crisis.

In order to make all subtitles work everywhere, what I've been doing is:

1: Download a TV show I want to watch, asking for a separate subtitle file as SRT.
2: Laboriously converting each episode’s .MP4 and .SRT file into a single .MKV file with MKVToolnixGUI.
3: Copy those to my QNAP Linux server.
4: Add them to Plex.
5: Watch them happily on my smart tv, phone, or PC.

Peace in the valley. Subtitles worked everywhere.

But suddenly Hulu is giving me VTT subtitles. (After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I finally looked inside the .SRT file with a text editor.) I can play the resulting MKV file directly on My PC with VLC Media Player. Buy Plex chokes on them. (I think the transcoder is aborting.)

My AnyStream question is: My only choice for subtitle is embedded, .SRT, or TTML.

If I use embedded, I frequently get HTML formatting on the TV’s screen as the subtitle.

I’m currently using .SRT, and Plex is locking up because they are actually VTT subtitles.

I don’t know what TTML is.

Any Ideas on how to get the subtitles consistent across platforms?

I appreciate your attention.

Known bug. Probably fixed in the next version

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Easy solution to your problem, until the devs fix it.

- just download like normal and download subs as .srt files
- download Subtitle Edit > Tools > Batch Convert > browse to the folder where you saved all the subtitles
- Subtitle Edit will see which files are .vtt files > check overwrite > make sure SubRip is selected as format > convert

It's like 1 min of work to convert all your .vtt files to .srt this way. No need for MKVtoolnix etc.

THANK YOU both, and the reindeer you rode in on! This is a such great community.

Back