• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How's that 64 bit version coming?

ya, its securom 7x. (there is a specific version number in the forums somewhere, someone scanned it with protection id) i believe the online activation is a part of the securom.

Bioshock has online activation (a reason not to buy it), does has a disc protection, too?

Based on what I'm reading Bioshock is protected by Securom. My copy will arrive sometime tomorrow, but I probably won't get around to taking a look at it until later this week (or early next week). I had my copy pre-ordered before I found out about all this copy protection nonsense.

I can't say I'm a huge first person shooter fan--but Bioshock may become the best reviewed game of the year (in addition to the reason why gamers will begin to upgrade to Vista).

I do agree with you, in principle, about the copy protection and Vista (for what it's worth; I am not happy about it. And I think Vista will make more and more people turn to Slysoft for solutions). Limiting someone to 5 installs is terrible . . .

Anyway, the game looks better under DirectX 10. Hardcore gamers are going to want DirectX 10 to play the game.

And based on the reviews, yes, Bioshock is THAT good:

visit http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/bioshock

Last edited:
Based on what I'm reading Bioshock is protected by Securom. My copy will arrive sometime tomorrow, but I probably won't get around to taking a look at it until later this week (or early next week). I had my copy pre-ordered before I found out about all this copy protection nonsense.

I can't say I'm a huge first person shooter fan--but Bioshock may become the best reviewed game of the year (in addition to the reason why gamers will begin to upgrade to Vista).

I do agree with you, in principle, about the copy protection and Vista (for what it's worth; I am not happy about it. And I think Vista will make more and more people turn to Slysoft for solutions). Limiting someone to 5 installs is terrible . . .

Anyway, the game looks better under DirectX 10. Hardcore gamers are going to want DirectX 10 to play the game.

And based on the reviews, yes, Bioshock is THAT good:

visit http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/bioshock

Wow. Online activation *plus* Securom? I'll pass, regardless how good the game is (and I really considered buying it, reading the reviews).

Wow. Online activation *plus* Securom? I'll pass, regardless how good the game is (and I really considered buying it, reading the reviews).

well 1 week now and the game is still uncrackable.. so the online activation works the securim was cracked 2 days ago....

but to use the no Cd/dvd mini image you have to buy the game and activate online then use it to play with out dvd lol

I hate online activation for ANYTHING.

Online activation isn't that horrible, but TWO installs? That's idiotic considering that you have copy protection on the CD/DVD as well. There could be an activation that allows it to only work on one install at the same time the way Alcohol 120% has. You can install it on multiple computers, but you have to activate that computer on the web site, so you can't have multiple machines playing at once, but there is still protection to make sure only one copy is being used at one time.

actually, its 5 installs, and you have license revokation too... its mentioned on the 2k forums..

Yeah, it's a pretty disgusting situation, in my opinion anyway.

Very, very simple: Don't buy it. Vote with your purse. It is really not hard. Trust me. Enjoy something else. Really. I am serious.

There is always something else to buy with your money without online activation. :D

actually, its 5 installs, and you have license revokation too... its mentioned on the 2k forums..

The official gobbledygook can be found here:
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6979

"Technical FAQ as posted on the Cult of Rapture
we have been working diligently to help solve all your problems posted about in regards to activation, securom, and widescreen FOV. please check out www.cultofrapture.com for the full update, and in the meantime, read the Technical FAQ that was also posted as an update to the cult:

How many computers can I activate this game on at once?
2K increased the maximum computers you can install the game simultaneously on from 2 to 5. We are also preparing a new “revoke application” that will allow you to de-authorize computers so that you may move the game to another computer without "using up" one of these activations. This increase in the limit will cover most users' issues, and the revoke application should alleviate remaining concerns. Of course, if you still experience any issues, please feel free to contact support.

How many times can I reinstall this game on the same computer?
2K increased the maximum installs on the same computer from 3 to 5, before you need to seek customer support. The revoke application we will release will make this irrelevant - as long as you revoke before you install again, you will have no issues.

Does my Steam or Direct2Drive downloaded version also allow the increases to the installations?
Yes, both the Steam and Direct2Drive versions also are updated with the new installation increase.

Do I need to connect to the internet every time I play this game?
No. Only for a fresh install and for the activation the first time you run it.

Do I need to have the DVD in the drive every time I play?
Yes.

Does SecuROM fingerprint my hardware? What does this mean?
SecuROM does not fingerprint the hardware. When an activation is performed, a unique ID is generated to identify the system being used for the activation process. The ID is in the form of a hash and cannot be read by any other system or operator. Its only purpose is for comparing future activations on a particular serial.

Does SecuROM send any information out to another server and collect any of my data?
No information is sent to any other servers. The only data collected is the serial being used for activation, the IP address used for activation, an identifier for the software being activated, and the hash of the machine ID. The ID cannot be read by any other system or operator. Its only purpose is for comparing future activations on a particular serial.

If I put a new piece of hardware, such as a new video card, ram, hard drive, or a new motherboard, into my computer, will I have to reactivate my game? Will this count as one of my “allowed” computers?
No. You won't have to reactivate unless you change several pieces of hardware and this will count as one of your 5 allowed computers, if reactivation is required. The revoke application we will release will make this irrelevant - as long as you revoke before you uninstall and install again, you will have no issues.

How do I free up an activation slot if I decide to uninstall my game from one computer and move it to another?
The revoke application we will release will make this possible.

What do I do if I get the message that I have activated this game on too many computers?
Use the forthcoming revoke app on one of the computers you successfully activated it on. If that doesn't solve your problem, contact support. We will get it resolved.

How does activation and security measures differ between steam, IGN, and retail copies of this game?
They all use the same product activation method. In addition to the product activation, retail copies also have a disc check and Steam uses their own security.

My anti-virus software is flagging SecuROM as an intruder program? What does this mean?
Some versions of virus software will incorrectly flag SecuROM. If so, please update the virus definition file. If you still experience issues, please contact 2K Technical Support for further advice. We would appreciate if you could please notify support@securom.com of any software conflicts so that we may work with the anti-virus companies to update their definition files.

What happens if my computer is lost, stolen, or has a complete crash? How do I get that activation back, since I didn’t uninstall the game?
You can still install the game 4 more times (or however many times remaining to your limit of 5) without a problem. Please contact support if you have reached your limit.

Does SecuROM install a root kit on my computer?
No. SecuROM DOES NOT USE any root kit technology in its implementation. SecuROM Product Activation does place a folder and registry keys on your system. These folders are used only for storage of license information and information to assist with disc authentication. Please do not modify or delete these files. Tampering with these files may result in authentication issues.

What is a root kit?
A "rootkit" can be described as software or a set of software tools intended to conceal running processes, files or system data from the operating system and which can open ports to allow remote access to the system.

A "rootkit" makes it possible for viruses or other malicious programs ("malware") to hide content on a user's PC. In this way, a virus or other malware may remain undetected, even if updated anti-virus software is installed.

SecuROM DOES NOT USE any root kit technology in its implementation. SecuROM Product Activation does place a folder and registry keys on your system. These folders are used only for storage of license information and information to assist with disc authentication. Please do not modify or delete these files. Tampering these files may result in authentication issues.

What is SecuROM and 2K's support contact information?
US Support
Phone: 1-866-219-9839
Email: usa@take2support.com

Canadian Support Phone: 1-800-638-0127
Email: canada@take2support.com

SecuROM Support
Email: support@SecuROM.com"

Also . . .

from http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/home.html

"UPDATES ON SECUROM™, PC ACTIVATION, AND A TECHNICAL FAQ
August 23, 2007

We have been reading and listening to your frustrations over SecuROM, PC activation problems, and technical support issues since BioShock launched on Tuesday, and we've devised a plan to help.

Starting immediately, we will be upping the activation count to a 5 by 5 plan. We will be raising the maximum amount of computers a user can have BioShock installed on simultaneously from 2 to 5, and allowing a user to reinstall BioShock on each of those computers from 3 times to 5 times. Also, we have in the works a revoke tool which you will be able to run on your machine if you want to free up that key and move it to to another computer (this works very much like Steam or iTunes system). We are also working with SecuROM and 2K customer service, so that when you do need to call in support problems, you get answers to your questions faster, without much waiting or being bounced around. SecuROM has been given much more autonomy to help fix your problems quickly and effectively. I am personally sorry for anyone who got bounced around in the past couple days (I even think I contributed to this problem) and we're going to make sure that does not happen in the future.

As for other technical issues, we are bringing on a team of tech support that will be on the 2K forums 24/7 to help people resolve their technical issues. Our QA guys are in the offices and on the forums, too, reproducing issues and looking for workarounds and compiling information that they can put towards making you a patch and updating the knowledge base.

Also, we are aware that our activation server went down last night, stopping some of you from finishing your installs. The server is up and running now and we have corrected the problem that caused that crash.

Finally, we have released a FAQ, which you can view in full below (and will also be posted on the 2K Forums in the Technical Support area) that will help clear up a lot of questions and misinformation that has been floating around about SecuROM and PC activation.

And as for widescreen, we also want to say we completely understand a user's desire to augment their FOV. BioShock is a harrowing experience, but we don't want anyone to feel limited (or motion sick!). So we are in the process of working on an official PC patch to give widescreen PC users a choice to expand their horizontal FOV, and are investigating creating a similar update for the 360.

And finally, I want to personally congratulate Racer_S from the Widescreen Gaming Forums, and his awesome user patch to expand the widescreen FOV in BioShock. I'm currently tracking him down via email, but hopefully, he'll accept my gratitude, and maybe an Nvidia 8800 to boot."

Last edited:
well, it is worth buying, and for me the activation was painless, no issues with the game at all... theres a lot of hysteria about the activation/install procedure, and the 'rootkit' hysteria too.. all blown out of proportion...

well, it is worth buying, and for me the activation was painless, no issues with the game at all... theres a lot of hysteria about the activation/install procedure, and the 'rootkit' hysteria too.. all blown out of proportion...

I'm not so sure. Anything that forces me to activate online and also has a disc copy protection makes me feel as though I'm jumping through hoops (also it's an inconvenience). In the end, the pirates will be the ones enjoying the game without online activation and without securom.

You miss the point. *Nothing* with online activation is worth buying. ;)

You miss the point. *Nothing* with online activation is worth buying. ;)

*Rant on*

Oh, please. Grow up. I pre-ordered the game as well. I am 98% completely satisfied with the game. I have almost beat the game now; let me tell you when they say its the highest rated game of the year, their not kidding ... its that good.

Everybody is blowing up the online registration thing. If you take a look at any normal shooter game, you can only have it on one PC at a time anyway (If you want to play online). Its not really that different than any other game, except where it would check you cd key when you want to play online it checks a server exclusively for that purpose. I will admit the Securom thing is a pain the ass and they went overboard with that ... but thats the only 2% I have a problem with.

Get over it, and enjoy the best game of the year so far. Its easyly the best RPG game of year anyway.

Ok, I'm done now
*Rant off*

I won't, as I am not buying it. Simple as that. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Ditto! But people should go a step further and tell the company that makes it why you won't buy it.

-Jim

Another month gone by.

Please, 64 bit by Christmas 07?

-Jim

Another month gone by.

Please, 64 bit by Christmas 07?

-Jim

That would be a very nice Christmas gift for me too (well, for my g/f who uses Vista 64 bit edition and misses Game Jackal), but I don't like to put pressure on those great Slysoft devs.

Back