• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How To Obtain My CloneDVD License Key

Bruce you will have to look for a *.lic file under c:\Users\All Users

or you can try https://sourceforge.net/projects/ekeyfinder/ it finds the key in the windows reg

Edit: it's here on Win64
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Elaborate Bytes\CloneDVD\Key

Both will only work if the disk or a backup is still available

Last edited:
If Windows is reinstalled(clean) would you be able to find the old HKEY. They did pull some files before the install, which I was able to get from them, but not sure where to look.

If Windows is reinstalled(clean) would you be able to find the old HKEY. They did pull some files before the install, which I was able to get from them, but not sure where to look.
No, a clean install will wipe clean everything that was there before. Where did you read that you could find the key after a clean install. Unless you contact Elaborate byte with info for them to locate your Key there is no other way to find it.

I was wondering if the Windows.old file, created during the install might have it.
I had saved copies of all the license keys in an e-mail folder, in a documents file and on a CD.
They have all gone missing. I cleaned house a while back, not thing of what I was tossing out. Save all CDs from now on.
I thought I done a good job of saving them, but I guess not. Expect the unexpected!
I do have a copy of all the files they pulled before they wiped the hard drive. ~80 gb of AppCache txt files, filtertrie txt files, appssynonyms txt files.
register clonedvd2~,regclonedvd~, a few found in the filterrie. Some found are, Register CloneDVD2 CloneDVD2 64000 Register CloneDVD2 RegCloneDVD 64000
CloneDVD2 Revision History Revision History 64000 CloneDVD2 Revision History History 64000 CloneDVD2 Revision History clonedvd_changes 64000, these were in the appssynonyms txt files. Alot of reference to, but nothing solid yet.
Evidently I am to old of a customer to have a record of, from the early days of Clone DVD ( at least 17 yrs or more). I even had the game jackal at one time. This reply is getting to long, but I don't like to give up when I know what I know.

It doesn't the windows.old isn't a file it's an entire folder of the Windows folder prior to the Windows Update. It does NOT contain the windows registry where registration info is somewhat found. If you purchased from Slysoft back in the day, you're out of luck, you can contact RedFox support but i doubt they'll be able to help and resend the key. They don't have access to that database. That went down when slysoft did. If you purchased from Elaborate Bytes, contact them at elby.ch, they then MIGHT be able to help you.

That said, it's not like a cloneDVD key costs a lot, especially with the frequent discounts.

I've tried ELBY, its like you say.
My So.Sec. amounts to xxxx per month, so I need to weigh everything I purchase. There's groceries, utilities, car payments, insurance, etc..
I can understand what you mean by "putting food on the table". Sometimes I think I'll have to take out a mortgage to buy a cup of coffee.
In days of old, I could afford it, Hence trying to recover it other ways.
I did repurchase the ones from redfox after the demise of slysoft.
And appreciate redfox for picking up the ball, and ELBY for staying the course as well.

Last edited:
Elby's in no danger of getting shut down ever (or they'd have to do it voluntarily) because they don't have any product capable of decrypting anything. I'd recommend then that you wait for the next 20% off round. Usually around major holidays and hope you can repurchase then if you havent found they key back by then. You could to a windows explorer search for " *.CloneDVD " in all folders on all drives. That would tell windows to scan all your drives for any and all files with the .CloneDVD file extension which is what the registration file uses. With some luck maybe it'll find it.

If Elaborate Bytes cant find it cant find it and Avangate has no record of it, it was either purchased with a different e-mail address or it didn't happen. The program is worth twice the price if you have had it since 2010. Buy it again and save yourself some unneeded grief.

Problem solved but,I am curious to try Avangate if I can log in.
There are multiple facts involved. One, Microsoft critical updates, 2 at the same time that killed my PC. A clean reinstall, wipes all the registry entries and all the .exe files, registration keys are .exe's.Two would be the loss of SlySofts' database, we know how that played out. It was a bad situation.
Three, no CD backup to reinstall. Four, Me not keeping better track of my keys on the PC, tossing out the CD I had them saved on when I cleaned up the PC station, and forgetting about a worse case scenario.
Thank you for your time.

"some things that should not have been forgotten where lost"

Last edited:
Registration keys are NOT exe's. They have a file extension like for example '.AnyDVDHD' That file extension is in windows linked to AnyDVD, so it knows what to do when you double click on it. Microsoft isn't involved in your license keys either.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Thank you for the correction.
Interesting,I wish I knew more about what makes things work.

Thank you for the correction.
Interesting,I wish I knew more about what makes things work.
If you found your key files, however you found them, back them up, save them on some spare flash drives, and also put them in the Cloud like Google's, Microsoft's, and so on, so you'll never lose them again.

:)

Problem solved but,I am curious to try Avangate if I can log in.
There are multiple facts involved. One, Microsoft critical updates, 2 at the same time that killed my PC. A clean reinstall, wipes all the registry entries and all the .exe files, registration keys are .exe's.Two would be the loss of SlySofts' database, we know how that played out. It was a bad situation.
Three, no CD backup to reinstall. Four, Me not keeping better track of my keys on the PC, tossing out the CD I had them saved on when I cleaned up the PC station, and forgetting about a worse case scenario.
Thank you for your time.

"some things that should not have been forgotten where lost"
You should ALWAYS be running back-up software...ALWAYS.

If you found your key files, however you found them, back them up, save them on some spare flash drives, and also put them in the Cloud like Google's, Microsoft's, and so on, so you'll never lose them again.

All keys are now saved in four places now, , a storage HD, Flash drive and the cloud and a doc folder. Hopefully this wont happen again.

You should ALWAYS be running back-up software...ALWAYS.

Is the backup software the same as a recovery disk or flash? I created a recovery flash drive.
I'm thinking of repurchasing anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no backup software involved. You just backup (make a copy, save it somewhere else you want) on something. That can be a hdd folder, cd, dvd, flash drive, micro sd card ... take your pick

If you still have the hard drive, you could hook it up in the new PC. Pretty sure you can recover the key somehow then. I know it's located somewhere on the drive after registration

No that's the registry entry, which you can't access if it's not the boot drive. I specifically remember James saying in a post somewhere that the registration FILE itself is located somewhere too after registration. Albeit under a slightly different name.

@Gary Ingram

Well if you still have the HDD or if you can get it back and if it wasn't reformatted, maybe you can still access the registry key, even when Windows is not booted from the drive + C-Partition where the CloneDVD-licensing-file is registered within the Windows registry.

There's are tools in Linux tool called "chntpw" where you can read/export/import the Windows registry from Linux (without booting Windows)
It helped my father to reset a forgotten Windows 7 password from his computer.

If the CloneDVD licensing data is stored in the Windows registry, he just needs to know the location of it in the Windows-Registry.

chntpw -e /mnt/Windows_C_Partition/Windows/System32/Config/SYSTEM
--
Ah sorry I guess he needs to export the registry file, so chntpw is wrong tool, so I'd guess he needs "reged".
"reged"; "chntpw"
etc. are already inlcuded eg. in Knoppix-Live-Linux-System.

https://github.com/rescatux/chntpw

{...}
"chntpw" (the password reset / registry editor frontend)
===>"reged" (registry editor, export and import tool) <===
"sampasswd" (password reset command line program)
"samusrgrp" (user and group command line program)
is licensed under the GNU General Public License, see GPL.txt.
{...}
---

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zesty/man8/reged.8.html
NAME
reged - utility to export/import and edit a Windows registry hives

{...}
-x <registryhivefile> <prefixstring> <key> <output.reg>

Export parts of a hive file to a text registry (.reg) file.
Prefixstring indicates the part of the registry hive to dump
(for example HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE). The <key> parameter
defines the key to dump (recursively). You can use \ or \\ to
list all the keys in the hive file.

Only one hive file and one .reg file can be defined.
--
Only an Example, how to export e.g. some part of the registry tree structure: what to type in the console/bash/shell/terminal, if I understood the description above correctly (The Windows-C: NTFS partition needs to be have been mounted already, e.g. mounted to "/mnt/Windows_C_Partition":
reged -x /mnt/Windows_C_Partition/Windows/System32/config/SOFTWARE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\{...} CloneDVD CloneDVD.reg

<registryhivefile> ==>/mnt/Windows_C_Partition/Windows/System32/config/SOFTWARE
<prefixstring> ==> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\{...}
<key> ==> (..\) CloneDVD
output.reg ==>CloneDVD.reg

Maybe you have to use slash "/" sheme in the entire part, so also for the <prefixstring>
=>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ !

Tip:
There are possibly several Windows-registryhivefiles within /Windows/System32/config/ :
/Windows/System32/config/SOFTWARE ==>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
/Windows/System32/config/SYSTEM ==>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM

So maybe Windows'-Regedit overlays them into one tree structure (so appearing here as one tree structure)

Last edited:
Clean install wipes everything clean there is no backup any where.

Well if he still has the HDD or if he can get it back and if it wasn't reformatted, maybe he can still access the registry key, even when Windows is not booted from the drive + C-Partition where the CloneDVD-licensing-file is registered within the Windows registry.

Did you read what Cujoh just wrote or just some rambling here? As others mentioned if they did backup the key file on another drive or USB and or Elaborate Bytes can't find it then there is nothing that can be done.

@Recycle
I was referring to Gary Ingram, who replaced his PC. I didn't declare it clearly in the post at first - Post edited.
Maybe it wasn't the HDD which got defective.
If he still has the old HDD and WIndows-C Partition there was not reformatted, there'd be an option with "reged" to export the CloneDVD Registry-key in Linux, without booting Windows.
If Gary Ingram's new PC uses another HDD, he could plug in (temporarily) the old HDD (from old computer) to the new computer, boot a Live Linux System and export the CloneDVD registry-key (from the registry) with reged, without booting Windows.

The more potential options he knows, the better.

=>
I’m facing an unusual situation. I purchased AnyDVD and CloneDVD as a combo deal back in 2010 (I think). Both were lifetime license purchases. When SlySoft went under and RedFox was born to assume the reins for AnyDVD, I purchased another lifetime license for AnyDVD. Afterwards, I stored my new AnyDVD key on an external hard drive, but I forgot to back up my CloneDVD key. My computer had to be replaced, and I’m looking for someone to help me retrieve my CloneDVD key. I emailed ElbySoft, and I received this reply:{...}

This is my second attempt to reach you in regards to having my CloneDVD license
key sent to me again. It had been stored on my computer, but it was lost when I
had to reinstall my operating system. I was hoping you could assist me in this
matter.

OK if he certainly used the same HDD+same partition for reinstallation, then I must correct myself, then "reged" won't help either.

Last edited:
Back