• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to Know if DVD Has CSS Mastering Errors

My Life Is Tech

How would one know which movies/discs have such a protection in order to check this box?

"Such discs will usually not play in many DVD players like the PS3"

2017.10.18_09h53m40s_002.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have a PS3, do you happen to know if there are any other ways to check for it?

Oh I wasn't saying it wasn't, and I appreciate the advice, I was just wondering if there are any other ways to tell if a disc has it, since I don't have a PS3, and really don't want to get one just to check for that protection.

I haven't ever had to check that box in over 10 years.
-W

I haven't ever had to check that box in over 10 years.
-W

Duh, that box hasn't been there that long :p

AnyDVD (HD) 7.1.0.0 2012 10 25
- New (DVD): Added option to remove CSS mastering errors.

It's 5 years on the dot next week, today.

Hmm, so I don't know if there are any other ways to check for that protection, unless AnyDVD were to tell you if it detects that particular protection in the status window for the disc, though I'm unsure if it would. But here's another question. If one chose not to check the box when the disc was ripped to the hard drive, would one be able to go back and create an ISO from the folders, or use the original ISO of the DVD, (if one chose that route.) would they be able to remove the CSS Mastering Errors from the copy without the original disc?

so I don't know if there are any other ways to check for that protection, unless AnyDVD were to tell you if it detects that particular protection in the status window for the disc
You're (possibly) reading too much into this thus over complicating things.
I think CSS Mastering Error is an actual "mastering error", and not a copy protection mechanism.

So... if a particular DVD wont play in a DVD player when it normally would, try making a copy with box checked and see if the copy plays.

Personally I've never, ever encountered a DVD that I purchased that didn't play in a DVD player.

Last edited:
Back in the day, I used the term 'mastering errors' to cover discs where the key changed in the middle of the file at some point.

So it would be decrypting fine one minute and then output garbage the next. Enabling that option made it attempt to find the key at vob/cell id changes rather than just at the start of the file.

Maybe it's still something like that ?

Back in the day, I used the term 'mastering errors' to cover discs where the key changed in the middle of the file at some point.

So it would be decrypting fine one minute and then output garbage the next. Enabling that option made it attempt to find the key at vob/cell id changes rather than just at the start of the file.

Hmm... would that be within the AnyDVD log file?

If the option to detect mastering errors is enabled and it detects it changing... yeah maybe.

Only it's authors would know for sure - or someone with such a problem disc. I must have one in my collection somewhere.

Yes, but I believe it checks for a new key only at the layer change. This was enough for all the broken CSS discs I've met (very few).

Back