• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to Handle Forced Subtitles?

Homeworld

This is simple but difficult. I have a bunch of movies that have forced subtitle tracks. I would like to keep the main subtitles in my movies too. The subtitles that display things like alien speech and foreign languages in English movies.

I mainly play my movies on the Raspberry Pi 3 in Kodi but like to watch them on PC too, I keep the main H.264 but convert the audio. Sometimes though I really have trouble with the forced subtitles on their own too.

Please tell me how you like to handle the subtitles in your CloneBD converted movies or how I should handle this myself because CloneBD doesn't seem to do the job. Thank You.

Last edited:
What Ive found is there is usually two English subtitles the main one which is all dialogue of the movie and a second one all the way on the bottom that's the forced usually if you want them hardcoded in then in the individual title settings there should be a small white box like a note pad Txt icon if you click on that it will appear means hardcoded and disappeared but still has check means selectable only for that subtitle. The best way to figure out what you need for each movie is to play it in the preview player and adjust settings for your desired results and then carry those over to processing.

I don't see this in CloneBD. The only time I see the 'notepad' icon is in the playback section, and that just means it's the selected subtitle to be played back in the player window, once you come out of there it's just added as a normal subtitle, so I can have either all selectable or all burnt in subtitles, but not both.
It's something some of us have been requesting for a while as I like to burn in the foreign language parts and keep English subtitles as an option, but I don't see any way to do that in CloneBD which is why I still use Handbrake for films that have foreign language parts.

What you can now do though is set which subtitle is the default one, so if you have 2 subtitle tracks and one is the foreign language 'forced' subtitle track you can set it to default to that one instead of the main language.

Last edited:
I don't see this in CloneBD. The only time I see the 'notepad' icon is in the playback section, and that just means it's the selected subtitle to be played back in the player window, once you come out of there it's just added as a normal subtitle, so I can have either all selectable or all burnt in subtitles, but not both.
It's something some of us have been requesting for a while as I like to burn in the foreign language parts and keep English subtitles as an option, but I don't see any way to do that in CloneBD which is why I still use Handbrake for films that have foreign language parts.

What you can now do though is set which subtitle is the default one, so if you have 2 subtitle tracks and one is the foreign language 'forced' subtitle track you can set it to default to that one instead of the main language.

From what I picked up from the "Elby labs": with 1.0.8.3 they fixed the majority of the problems off the todo list now and they will begin to add several user requests one by one starting now.
Some isolated problems with specific discs aside, the engine is "clean" now.

Some of the items to come:
  • Forced subs
  • 3D-BD copy
  • fixes and enhancements to the preview player

Would be nice to have an option for MKV's that allows to hardcode the forced subs whilst retaining selectable subtitles for the rest

they fixed the majority of the problems off the todo list now and they will begin to add several user requests one by one starting now.

Nice, hopefully they can take a look at my old request thread again :D
Please say an option to drop that menu completely is high on the to do list :sick:

You know my thoughts on this. I want each subtitle scanned while being processed and a separate forced only subtitle track created for the forced subs found. That would be ideal.

May I reanimate this topic?

I don't get it. My BR-Player shows forced subtitles even when subtitles are turned off. So it's obvious that those subtitles are marked as forced.

Why can't there be a box inside the place where you select the subtitle language that says 'use forced subtitles only' ???

I'm not a programmer, I'm just a user. So could someone please explain me why they put this option into CloneBD, why it is so difficult or even impossible??

Because it's not that easy. There's at least 3 different ways forced subtitles can be created on a Blu-ray.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

Hm. So why not start by offering the easiest way? That would be a beginning. Or is there no easy way?

They could offer a tick box that lets you decide which is the forced subtitle. At the moment when I make an MKV I then have to take it into MKVtoolnix and set the forced subtitle track in there

Subs can be a pain on blu-ray. I still maintain that extracting forced subs into a separate sub track is ideal for MKV creation. The way lav filters handles it during playback makes that a great solution. Having the forced subs mixed in with a non-forced track is difficult for non-official players to handle. They can't know there are forced subs until the sub track is fully scanned so it becomes problematic. I do tend to agree that a check box to decide the forced sub track would be a quick and easy way to help people out for now.

Back