• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to encode 5.1 Surround sound?

leek

I have been using Clone DVD Mobile for some time and have no problems. Or so i thought. I have recently purchased a PS3 and a 5.1 Surround Sound System. I have all my Films backed up on my Windows Home Server. So once i had my PS3 and suround sound hooked up i tried one of my films to see how the surround sound would fare, only to find that all my films are in stereo :mad: ; even though i had selected English Dolby AC-3/6 for the audio for a generic divx!! So i know have to redo all my films for 5.1 Surround Sound. I tried the devices.ini mod suggested in this thread and used Gspot to confirm that it was encoded with 5.1 Sound, which it was. The only thing is that i tried playing it on my PS3 and it just tells me its an unsupported format (PS3 has the latest updates to date) :bang:. So i tried the PS3 16:9 AVC/H264 option only to find gspot was showing that as Stereo as well. So can someone help me?? I would perfer to get avi surround sound working on my PS3 but at the minute any film on surround sound would be great!

Last edited:
Have just tried this mod. Waiting for it to finish.

Ok this has finished and is showing in Gspot as 5.1 Divx 4 codec, but again its showing as being an unsuported format on the PS3.
Anyone help me here?

Last edited:
It appears that the DivX files produced by CloneDVD mobile are not recognized by the PS3 with its present firmware.
Please use the PS3 profile of CloneDVD mobile.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi there Chris,
Almost all of my current Divx video files play and they were all created with CloneDVDMobile but all of them have 2 channel audio. Now i'm trying to create them all in 5.1 as i previously stated.
And as explained in my previous post i have already tried the PS3 Profile (Selected 6/3 in the audio options)and when i check on GSpot it shows the audio as being output at 48000Hz 128 kb/s 2 channels. I have just tried to create another mp4 video again (Double checking) it shows in Gspot as 2 channel audio. So i ask you how do I get 5.1 using the PS3 profile?

Anyone have a fix? Anyone have a mod of the PS3 profile that forces/keeps the original surround sound?

Anyone have a fix? Anyone have a mod of the PS3 profile that forces/keeps the original surround sound?

I tried every CDM recording option and none produced a playback file with 5.1 audio. Correction VOB pass through did but the file size is too big. There are lots of shareware products available to do what you want to do.

Last edited:
Bump! I can't get anything to output 5.1 either. Would like a Divx or xvid profile that works so I can stream to xbox 360 via tversity.

Bump! I can't get anything to output 5.1 either. Would like a Divx or xvid profile that works so I can stream to xbox 360 via tversity.

I use #1 DVD Ripper to create AVI files which I stream to my PS3 and it plays back in 5.1 Dolby Digital. I belive the same files would play on the 360. There a all kinds of free shareware out there but they are for the more tech savy users unlike me. I paid for the program I use and I can rip a movie with 1 click. There is a free trial available on line. But again there are free programs out there, if you search, you will find:)

Last edited:
It appears that the DivX files produced by CloneDVD mobile are not recognized by the PS3 with its present firmware.

Cheers,
Chris

I watch DivX movies on my PS3 all the time Chris, it's my format of choice using 1.5.0.4.

Cheers,
Chris

None of the divX files I created using CDM play on the PS3 anymore. My assumption is that the updates caused this as well. Even the files created using the CDM PS3 formats didn't work. The only CDM formats that are working for me are VOB and VCD.

Last edited:
I assure they will work. Is your PS3 FW up to 2.52? I use DivX @ 720x480 1 pass and it works and works very well. I put them on a USB thumb drive in a folder I make "VIDEO" and the PS3 picks them right up. The movies will play directly from the flash drive or copied to the HDD on the console.

I just did Prince Caspian DivX and all is fine. Correction on the FW, it just updated to 2.53. Don't be put off by the corrupted data icon, some do that at first, Prince Caspian just did that. I pressed "X" play and it took off playing the corrupted data icon is gone.

Last edited:
Just in case my last post was a little hard to swallow, the proof is in the puddin' :

I assure they will work. Is your PS3 FW up to 2.52? I use DivX @ 720x480 1 pass and it works and works very well. I put them on a USB thumb drive in a folder I make "VIDEO" and the PS3 picks them right up. The movies will play directly from the flash drive or copied to the HDD on the console.

I just did Prince Caspian DivX and all is fine. Correction on the FW, it just updated to 2.53. Don't be put off by the corrupted data icon, some do that at first, Prince Caspian just did that. I pressed "X" play and it took off playing the corrupted data icon is gone.

I am streaming via Tversity and or WMP which could be my issue. What version CDM are you running? Also back to the original question in the string "is your playback in dolby digital 5.1?"

I am streaming via Tversity and or WMP which could be my issue. What version CDM are you running? Also back to the original question in the string "is your playback in dolby digital 5.1?"

I'm using 1.5.0.4 CDM, audio is 2 channel. I wasn't weighing in on that subject just that DivX created with 1.5.0.4 does indeed work on the PS3.

I'm using 1.5.0.4 CDM, audio is 2 channel. I wasn't weighing in on that subject just that DivX created with 1.5.0.4 does indeed work on the PS3.

I read the version number earlier in this thread but thought it must be wrong. On the Slysoft Download page the latest version is

CloneDVD mobile 1.2.0.1 2008-04-28

Where are you getting your version number from or CDM from?

Need CDM to produce 5.1 Dolby playback file in DivX or Xvid, MPGx or AVI. Only VOBs produced by CDM are 5.1 DD to my knowledge.

Last edited:
No I haven't. I don't know if it will even do that, not a lot of mobile devices with surround sound capability.

No I haven't. I don't know if it will even do that, not a lot of mobile devices with surround sound capability.

The PS3 has streaming with digital playback capabilities. The PS3 should be the centrepiece of every home theatre. As a result CDM movie files need to support DD playback. I purchased another software that does the trick. I had bought Any and CDM first thinking it would be the solution but turned out not to be unless I want to have 5 TB of media storage.

This is a profile that member "lostinlodos" came up with that from the title looks like it may do what you want?

[* Generic (XviD) DTS/DD+ Copy]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
AllowNativeTVResolution=1
Format=avi